Wow, it's cold!

GoldenMotor.com

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Went for a short ride today, around 5 miles. Rather chilly here in New England, in the 20's. The MB ran fine and even started right up better than I thought it would considering the temperature and that the bikes' been sitting for a while. Finally got up the gumption to put on the NASA space suit, with boots, gloves, helmet, and Oxygen rebreather and give it a go. The bike ran smooth as a baby's butt, except that it would stall out rather than idle. I was going to fiddle with the idle adjustment, but then it occurred to me that maybe the reason for it stalling was the ambient air temperature. The cold air may have been preventing the engine from reaching and maintaining a normal running temperature, thus causing frequent stalling. Any thoughts on that?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
they said we had a major cold front coming thru here this week and i thought to myself that sucks. then they said the lows during the day was low 80's and night time low to mid 70's. i started laughing thinking to myself this is a cold front i can live with. in michigan a cold front was sub zero. i hope it warms up for you all soon :ride2:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It may have stalled due to a leaner mixture caused by the cold dense air.

I hide in the shop anywhere south of 55 degrees, I've ridden enough stuff in enough "stuff" to not ride in it anymore.

It snowed 24" on Fri. Then it's going to start again here tomorrow through Thanksgiving.

I will cajole Cruiser when it's 103 degrees and 99.999% humidity there in the V.I. and it's a balmy 75 and sunny here....;)

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
It may have stalled due to a leaner mixture caused by the cold dense air.

I hide in the shop anywhere south of 55 degrees, I've ridden enough stuff in enough "stuff" to not ride in it anymore.

It snowed 24" on Fri. Then it's going to start again here tomorrow through Thanksgiving.

I will cajole Cruiser when it's 103 degrees and 99.999% humidity there in the V.I. and it's a balmy 75 and sunny here....;)
ditto... I lived in South Florida for years. There ain't no such thing as paradise.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
we are so close to the equator temps really don't change much. i been here all summer and it never got above 92 or below 73 so i don't think we will be seeing 100 degree temps but you never know.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
my bike is hard to start in cold weather why
Colder air is more dense. Denser air has more oxygen. The same volume of cold air is feeding more oxygen to the engine than warmer air. Modern carburetors have mechanisms for automatically compensating for changes in air density. Needless to say, our MB carbs are not exactly on the cutting edge of modern technology.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
we are so close to the equator temps really don't change much. i been here all summer and it never got above 92 or below 73 so i don't think we will be seeing 100 degree temps but you never know.
I spent a few years in Miami before moving to the Tampa Bay area. The summers were a lot better in Miami! August and September are really HOT here! In Miami you get the afternoon torrential rains in the summer...there's also the Atlantic that provides a cooling effect.

Jim

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
I spent a few years in Miami before moving to the Tampa Bay area. The summers were a lot better in Miami! August and September are really HOT here! In Miami you get the afternoon torrential rains in the summer...there's also the Atlantic that provides a cooling effect.

Jim
not to mention the cockroaches the size of tennis shoes.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I was in Tampa in May of 07. Ugh. too humid and muggy and warm for me. Used to live in Phoenix, way too hot.

It was 20 degrees this morning. Just scraping the ice off the car was a numbing task. I have no idea how I'm going to ride my mb to work once it's put back together.

Bikeguy, stop bragging. I've had about 1/4" of snow so far. (and it was melted by 9am) This will be my first full winter ever somewhere that it snows. Is it wrong that I just want to build a dang snowman?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
It was so cold on Saturday night that I snuggled up to my wife for warmth, even used a few blankets.

Must have been mid-60"s AND it was raining.

Next day dried up the roads and warmed to low 80's, which was just right for riding my twin-engined monster, "Mr. Hyde".

It should be 69 degrees in the a.m. My bike is gassed up and ready to take me to work tomorrow.^5

I can't wait!:ride:

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I had enough of cold weather and live in S. Fla.
Your bike may be icing from moisture in fuel if it's been sitting for awhile.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hey joe i just found all the records for temps here. high was 99 and low has been 57 since temps have been taken. its never broke 100 lol
.bf.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There's a lot to be said for the holiday weather in So-Cal... PERFECT is one!
We rode our MB's to a local "Shelby Club" Christmas car show in the bright sunshine yesterday!
(Our motorbikes were of course, a big hit!)
Here's a few pics...

Last edited: