Latest shop dog build "greeniee"

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
"Greeniee"

So heers a look at my latest build , i really had a lot of fun with this bike !
Riding along one afternoon my buddy and I came across this great frame resting against a tree with a little sign that said "free" and i was in love...
Its a pasfic coast frame from the 70s sometime? The forks are from the bike graveyard ,the kid who runs the place thinks there from 1903-10 ish.
The neck was rusted thru so they needed about five hours in the shop and were ready to roll again . The tanks are based on a simple ribbon/saddlebag design, with hardeware store caps and napa petcocks . After spot welding they were brazed and lined with casewell tank kream . The ext. Is made from old handle bars and mocked up useing little pipe splicers for welding . The bikes orignial neck was modified to run new beachcomber bars topped off by hand made rope gripps. The seat has a homemade step back and is hand stiched unto old plastic seat tub with green leather .the rear wheel hub is from an old tandem (bikegraveyard) and a strumey archer drum in front . The motor is a grubee gt-5 @ 66cc.
This bike gets alot of double takes and seems to be a fav of the old timers

http://db.tt/ZCTr8OAn Hand made ... 3 Thanx for checking it out jmj buche

Last edited:

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Great looking bike. I really like the tank. Was the hardware store you got the caps from one of the big chain stores? I would like to get a set.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Killer - thanx for fixing those im still getting the hang of dropbox.
Jimmy - yep good old ace hardware there garden hose caps in the lawn stuff with a neck cut from a plumbing nipple. Then i turned out the inside of a fender washer to make a base for the whole thing and presto . You do have to put in a TINY vent hole and they still leak a little when tank if full up but so cool its worth it.
Silver- i made some little straps across the top ,but there basicaly for looks . The tank has tabs front and rear that attach to the frame. Ace hardware again ! I use there coupler nuts as they are hexagon so the flat facet will contact the frame and spot brazed them on.
All she needs now is some lights and a tool box ,ill prob work on those this winter. Oh and did u get a chance to check out grocery grabber 3000 its in the trike section, you may like?

Last edited:

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Jimmy - yep good old ace hardware there garden hose caps in the lawn stuff with a neck cut from a plumbing nipple. Then i turned out the inside of a fender washer to make a base for the whole thing and presto . You do have to put in a TINY vent hole and they still leak a little when tank if full up but so cool its worth it.

I got to get out of the house more. That will work perfect on my BTR. Thanks so much for sharing.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Nice!

For a moment with the somewhat grainy picture, I was thinking that the two posts behind the seat post for the seat were actually shocks.

You could have just shocks for the back of the seat, but that would not be so comfortable.

You have better leg room I guess as you can sit further back. That has to have better weight capacity than those lay back seat posts!

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
What kind of torch did you use to braise after the tack welds on the tank? Was the silver solder used, as I know that stuff is pricey?

MT

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I use oxy acet with a back gas rig (just inert) to spot around every two inches or so. The trick in to switch back tank to tank so one has a min to cool. If you run to hot anywere the sheet will warp bad. I learned on a tank a while back that mig is real fast ,at first, then you end up chaseing holes all over. So braze is the way to go with thin stuff ,tig on thicker metal . Both take a great deal of pratice! I tell everone exp. Or not to try a batt. Or tool box first ,get a feel for how that setup is gona run then do the tank . And after trying casewell tank sealer i'll never make anouther tank without it ! That stuff is as tuff as supermans knee cap... But i always try and have several tanks ready to seal at once.
When you get the mix ready have two or three buddies with there preeped tanks in hand ,fill one tank roll it around then pass the WHOLE hot mix to next tank . It works great and you can get several done from only half the $50 caswell pack. 50 bucks donig six or eight tanks is dam good in my mind. Sealing edges is as easy as tapeing them shut overnight. Then cleanout the bung and tap the supply hole threads and blow it out.
I'll look for some of the pics of those tanks during construction and post them soon.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
http://db.tt/vIyOFRtS
Tank during fab ,the brass fitting is from the washing machine section of ace hardware .the torch is a # 4 amd the brazz rod i found best is the cheap red coated stuff.
http://db.tt/8xmCiwkl
This photo is a tank i made with mig welder ,if you look close you can see the whole spool of wire this tank took to seal ,braze is deff. Better .
http://db.tt/yOutXhAv
I think on page 1 the picture is from MIG welded the few spots to hold the tank together.

You said something about using a whole spool that would be MIG.

You also mentioned torch and brass rod. I see the torch nozzle in the picture too, but wondered what you did with the flame braze and the brass rod?

Mostly the tank was done with MIG and if I get thick enough or better at using my lowest setting on my MIG, I can try tank sealer too.

You could or maybe are going to add body filler on out side?

Nice going so far!

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
OK got it. The tank just done with MIG already had the angle grinder over it. That tank is also a separate (different) tank than the first two pictures.

That stuff to seal the tanks it is a two part mix and can only stay for short while or is hardens and has to be thrown out? The reason you have a few tanks to do so you can pour off from 1st to 2nd to 3rd tank in a series and get the most out of the stuff.

I've heard of this sealer costing more than $50, so if you can get the supplier and what store or online I can order, I might use this stuff some day.

Currently I have just used a regular plastic lawn mower tank that I bought new, but for nice old time look and fun making your own tank, can't beat that!

MT