Wont Start with pull-start

GoldenMotor.com

llinneman

Jul 31, 2011
Volcano, Hawaii
NEWB here. I have a Grubee 66cc Skyhawk. For some reason, the bike only starts when the clutch is engaged and I start it normally by riding it and popping the clutch (even then, it only putts a few times and dies, but one problem at a time) I installed a pullstart and to start it, I first opened to gas valve, locked the clutch to disengage, then gave it a bunch of tugs. Nothing. I made sure the spark plug is making a spark. ALso, I disconected the kill switch and made sure the wires are not touching the frame. I am at a loss. Why would it not start with the clutch disengaged? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
best to get it running with pedaling first,if you are unable to start it under pedal power,its unlikely it will start with the recoil.
if its new and not yet run run up this could be part of the problem.assembly lubes and storage oil will make the first start difficult at best.

llinneman

Jul 31, 2011
Volcano, Hawaii
Thanks for the advice. It used to run fine, but I didn't run it for about a year. So I cleaned gas tank, replaced fuel filter and cleaned the carb. My biggest question is why wont it start with the clutch disengaged. Even when it did run, if I disengaged the clutch, like at a stop sign, the engine would stall. Maybe the clutch or the idle speed? Does anyone know a link to a good Clutch tuning or assembly thread? I cant seem to find one. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Last edited:

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well there can be several problems,start one at a time.What kind of carb is it?I will give you some suggestion, which may or not help but I'll try.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
The first thing I would try is to give the carb a REAL GOOD cleaning. Take it ALL apart, soak it in carb cleaner and blow it out with compressed air. Pay special attention to the jet and jet tube. Even a new engine can have junk in it.
fatdaddy.

llinneman

Jul 31, 2011
Volcano, Hawaii
I think it is a CNS carb. It has the cheap red filter cover and no primer. I will clean it really well again tomorrow. I am more concerned with the fact that it will only run with the clutch engaged. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

llinneman

Jul 31, 2011
Volcano, Hawaii
Thanks to everyone for your help! I cleaned the carb really good, changed to e-clip setting, and tightened the clutch cable. Now she runs like a gem. I really appreciate all of your suggestions and tips!!

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Glad you got it working. I'm also glad that you came back to your thread and let everyone know that you got it working and how you did it. Not a lot of folks do that and it helps others that are having the same problems.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Thanks to everyone for your help! I cleaned the carb really good, changed to e-clip setting, and tightened the clutch cable. Now she runs like a gem. I really appreciate all of your suggestions and tips!!
Thats great llinnman, glad ya got her goin. Sometimes it is just the simple stuff. Now, to keep it running right, if you haven't done it already, change that stock plug and plug wire. Put a NGKB6HS, (Kragen/O'rielys# 7534,) plug and a good auto plug wire on it. Wire core plug wire works best, most wire is graphite core or whatever they call it. It works fine, better than stock, but the wire core is best.
Also, you said it sat for a year. It's time to service your engine. Take off the clutch lever side cover, grease the lever,( it will come out of the case with a 1/2 twist,) Then pull out the bucking bar and bearing, (don't lose the bearing,) shove grease in the bucking bar hole and push the bearing and bar back in. The factory never does this, so I do it on every new engine. If the bearing won't come out don't worry too much about it, Just shove the grease in with the bucking bar anyway. Reassemble.
Then take off the clutch side case. Put a SMALL amount of grease on the small crank and large clutch gears. Not too much or it'll get on the pads and thats a bad thing. Then, try to get a little grease into the very small clutch bearings. You'll have to remove the clutch plate to do this. Lock the lever in to loosen the clutch plate,(count the turns on the flower nut, Put it back on the same.) I've never had good luck with greasing this so I just put a few drops, (2 or 3,) of heavy oil in it. Again, not too much. Oil on pads is bad. But a little, (a very little oil,) will just burn off the pads. So if ya drop a little on the pads it's not the end of the world. Just wipe off excess, Reassemble.
Then, lube the chain and cables and levers and stuff and yer done.
Taking a couple hours (Or,1 day and a six pack,) will save you A LOT of headach in the future.:-||
Good Luck,
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I just replied to llinneman with the best advice I could give him, BUT, I have a couple questions myself. I've been working on these engines for a few years now and have NEVER found a good way to get grease into the small clutch bearings. I suppose I could disasemble the entire clutch and do it that way, but there's gotta be a better way.
Also, getting grease into the bucking bar and bearing is easy enough, but does anyone have a good way to get out a stuck bucking bar bearing to get a little grease behind it? I really don't want to try a solvent because of the main clutch bar bearing that sits behind it. Washing out the lube in that just sounds like a bad idea. Already tried "pointy things" and magnets, didn't work. Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.
fatdaddy.

llinneman

Jul 31, 2011
Volcano, Hawaii
Thanks so much Fatdaddy for your help. What type of grease should I use for the clutch lever and gears? ALso, can I use regular bicycle lube on the chain, or do I need something better?

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Fatdaddy I wonder if you can spin the clutch gear by it self while all the stuff is off.I just think that might loosen the bearing up.I'm not for sure but a suggestion.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Thanks so much Fatdaddy for your help. What type of grease should I use for the clutch lever and gears? ALso, can I use regular bicycle lube on the chain, or do I need something better?
I just use regular high temp wheel bearing grease on the side case lever and all the gears. I'll probably get yelled at by EVERYBODY for saying this, But I use 30 weight oil for almost everything else, chain included. It slings a little oil on the bike but if ya wipe it back off real good it's not that much. Yes, there are a lot of great chain lubes on the market, wish I could afford them.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Fatdaddy I wonder if you can spin the clutch gear by it self while all the stuff is off.I just think that might loosen the bearing up.I'm not for sure but a suggestion.
The clutch just spins free at that point. Nothing is touching the stupid little bearing to knock it loose. The hole is too small to get ANYTHING inside to pull it out, and like I said, I've tried a magnet, no go. Thanks for responding though, At least someone is trying to help.
fatdaddy.