im thinking 99cc??

GoldenMotor.com

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
I have a few questions for all you experts out there. I have been thinking about getting a 99cc for my first build. It will have all the climbing power and capability to get up to the speeds I want it to. But I have never seen that size motor in person. Will it b huge on my bike? As in look like I should for sure need a license and will probably get messed with by the cops? And will it be so wide that it will mess with my ability to pedal my bike? And one last thing the engine I was trying to get was the predator. But I live in California and from what I see they are not legal out here. Is there another engine this size with as much power n ability to get up n go?

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
I'm pretty sure you can still get a 99 in california. I've read they sell em there. Anyway, the motor will have different width depending on the transmission, but yeah, its a bit wide. You will probably need wide cranks. If mounted right you wont. Do you have a harbor freight near you? Go check it out, they should have em out on a table somewhere.

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
I'm not sure ill make sure to check of theres one close and I didn't mean all 99s just the predator. On the website it says they're good in all states but California. Not sure why. but ill make sure to go to one of there stores ASAP n check out how big they are

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Gas Engines at Harbor Freight Tools
there is only ONE 99cc predator

Predator Engines

With the largest displacement of comparable engines in their class, Predator engines are fierce on power, performance and price! Predator engines are also the green choice with their super efficient overhead shaft design, passing Carb and EPA standards in all 50 states! Replace your old engines on lawn mowers, rototillers, pumps, compressors and more with Predator engines from Harbor Freight Tools!

Gas Engines at Harbor Freight Tools

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Predator is the brand name of the engine line from Harbor Freight. They have them in different sizes based on Cubic Centimeters (CCs). They range from a 99cc to a 420cc engine. The 99cc Predator is not for sale in California. They do sell a pump with a 99cc engine. However, I am unfamiliar with it. The Harbor Freight website states that it is EPA approved. It doesn't state CARB approved. I do not know if it is for sale in California. It may or may not work for a motor bicycle project. I am sure it has a govenor.

Hiefy, Harbor Freight has two stores in the Reno area if the 99cc predator engine is the one that you want. I would call the store first to make sure they sell them and that there in stock. Have them hold one for you. I wouldn't let them know your from California. It is a least a 2.5 hours from where you're at.

Surplus Center has a 5.2 cu in. (97cc) engine that is CARB approved, but does have a govenor. Again, I am not familiar with this engine and know if it is applicable to motor bicycles. It is more than the 99cc Predator.

Surplus Center - 2.5 HP POWERPRO RS ENGINE CARB & EPA COMPLIANT

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited: