I am not competing just posting

GoldenMotor.com

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
It is getting too hot.
I really enjoy my Happytime.
I would like something that does not buzzz so much.

I found goped nation Ehhhh!!!

I also found an $42.00 plus 15.00 shipping total cost mod that attaches a continuously variable transmission. to a small engine.

I am planning on building a rack mounted friction drive or a chain drive version with a 62 tooth rear sprocket.

The friction drive version would be a complete backend off a go ped with the cvt mod , using a solid rubber convex drive wheel.
Quite possibly NO slippage with an automatic transmission.
The chain drive version is a 10 tooth output gear with some BMX chain and a 62 tooth rag mounted rear sprocket from andyinchville's sprocket sales.

This engine a honda 50
Small Engine Warehouse: GXH50QHA - Honda Engine 2 5hp Horizontal 5 8 x 1 1 4 Shaft Muffler no tank

With this CVT

This one is inexpensive
Fancy Scooter: Gas Scooters and Electric Scooters Retail and Wholesale

This one is $80.00
X2 (Ninja) Pocket Bike CVT Gearbox (transmission)

With this design
Adapting a CVT to a GSR40 - Scooter Wiki

I will be busy this summer.

Way after it is broken in I want to try this

http://motorbicycling.com/f13/hho-gas-mod-yay-nay-989.html

I zip all over town just like the gas prices were not so high, why not I only pay $8.00 for gasoline per month.
I have had people get mad at me when I tell them how much I spend on gas per month.

Wait till my average gas price goes to $2.00 per month.

My happy time cost four fill-up's.
About a months worth of gasoline for an average car. LOL!

Add another Rackee to the tally.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I didn't already have the scooter rear wheel with sprocket, i would have gone with the goped engine and wheel myself I think. I am convinced friction drive is less trouble than the chain wheel puller.

I have tried the chain friction wheel with electric which is about the same rpm and it works just fine. I am expecting my weedeater conversion to work easily. If not I might look for a different drive mechanism. With friction drive the engine can be less powerful since it doesn't have the dead weight of the bike to pull around. If it gets too much the wheel just skips over the bike wheel.

the other alternative is the smaller Izip rear wheel with the belt drive to just attach the belt drive pulley to the weed eater (in my case).

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I just realized that my 43 dollar cvt will fit on a happytime.
As a frame mount engine with a rack mount CVT transmission. LOL!
Chain driven apologies , and kudos to Deacon ( it could just as easily become a friction drive with a bmx foot peg and some jbweld N sand smeared on the footpeg).
Slow build as my garage is not airconditioned.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
wait...so you will have your HT frame mounted with a chain going to the cvt on the rack and then down to the sprocket?

Honestly, that would be genius.

lestat101

Jul 15, 2008
I just realized that my 43 dollar cvt will fit on a happytime.
As a frame mount engine with a rack mount CVT transmission. LOL!
Chain driven apologies , and kudos to Deacon ( it could just as easily become a friction drive with a bmx foot peg and some jbweld N sand smeared on the footpeg).
Slow build as my garage is not airconditioned.
So what size spur gear did you use on the shaft of the motor? How about the sproket on the wheel? Send any pictures if you have any to share, I would like to do something like that for a project down the road.........

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
So what size spur gear did you use on the shaft of the motor? How about the sproket on the wheel? Send any pictures if you have any to share, I would like to do something like that for a project down the road.........

I am sorry that I did not answer sooner. I simply am out riding .
I used the ten tooth drive sprocket that came with the kit.
I welded a ten tooth sprocket from a local supplier to the input of the cvt.
As well as a ten tooth output from the cvt not the reduction portion of the cvt. To the 44 tooth rear wheel.
My modified cvt has a 2 to 1 reduction to a 1 to 1.6 gain
for a 44 tooth rear wheel sprocket approximately 88 tooth to start. then a 30 tooth at top end.

I take off like gangbusters then all to soon push it home.
I am still breaking too many parts.
Still working on the weaknesses.

lestat101

Jul 15, 2008
Sounds like a work in progress. Great idea though, if possblie post some pictures of the set-up when your ride becomes relaible!!:)

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED MEETING NEW GUYS IN TOWN WITH MOTORBIKE INTERESTS.
(I do NOT enjoy the cap lock button) One fellow from Enid Ok. told me and later showed me their method. They take the field housing off a car generator and replace it with pieces of pipe on the bolts. It is mounted behind the seatpost by the mounting hole on the castings and the motor is mounted on the rear carrier. The armature rotates on the rear wheel held there with a spring and clutched by pulling it up. The belt is tight when in contact with the tire. FWIW
Keith (trackfoddder) Williams

Last edited:

Hitekrdnk

May 23, 2008
It looks like that CVT unit, well torque converter actually, will bolt right on to say a Robin eho 35? Say it ain't so!!! Also the way it is mounted on the goped it looks like it reverses the rotational direction of the motor? Enquiring minds want to know! Thanks in advance, Hitekrdnk

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
S imple
P lastic
A irplane
D esign
me

here
I solved it!
Do not order random parts.
On another channel I begged .
On goped nation I begged.
Without help I solved it.
One engine.
One cvt.
Rack Mount only A Happy Time is too powerful , Too close. LOL!!!
Thank God I still have my left Leg.
A bmx chain will fail.

Do Not order random parts
SOON I will Post Pictures.

I have two found two competing designs.
One A CHAIN DRIVE CHEAP but strong Very STRONG! !! No CVT
One a cvt Cheap But with a weakness====== the belt in a cvt.

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
In short On a china girl or a Happy time.
You are smarter than me if you can get it to work.
Please keep trying.
It ripped bmx chains apart, explosively
I have the scar on my left calf where it cut me.
I actually got Tired of putting the happy time back together.
I would rather ride my happy time than fix it.
On a stock happy time with a huge carrier.
Soon a New bicycle with rack mount with a chain drive MONSTER.
Or a Cvt MONSTER LOL.
Both rack mount only.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
detonator tuning solution I want a drag race.
After Christmas.
Have at thee.
I want this.
Time or Distance.
Hugh Jass

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
20 mph I like it.
30 mph wow
40 mph Oh god don't let the bearing fail.
50 mph Now I lay me down to sleep.
60 mph WTF.
70 mph Have at thee. I am dead meat.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Snork, snork! 2 funny spad. Is odd, I woke yesterday thinking about a CVT and a ChinaGurl. Really, too much giddy up when combined? Do you think a weed whacker would suffice?
I have been awake too long and should wait to ask questions that are probably answered already.

Sorry to hear about the chain mishap, ouch!

Last edited:

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I have been struggling to decipher the lingo, and finally figured out CVT but is that crazy little 41-ish chain on the Happy Time actually BMX chain? Expiring minds want to know. I have a Comet CVT that is good to 5hp but is probably too big and draggy for a "Happy Time". I do have a 100cc Guazzoni gokart engine that supposedly puts out 15 hp and 15K rpm. However I understand it is one of only 2 in the US and I re-ringed it with supposedly the last set here. I am a bit reluctant to depend on it. At one time Bill Tenney, a noted outboard racer, imported Anzani outboard racing engines and sent one of the Guazzoni's free to a potential outboard dealer back in the heyday of micromidget racing in Bartlesville Ok. I am really playing with what to do since I uncovered a lot of forgotten project material in my storage shed. I could maybe put my 31cc Kawasaki snow blower mill on an E Scooter frame. I have already stuck a string trimmer centrifugal clutch on it as it is too rpm limited for my 1/4 scale Crackerbox boat. I could shorten and insert the flex shaft tube in it and run the #25 chain from the E with it's ~6:1 sprockets and a rough calculation at 6K it would run ~42 mph. I may do precisely NOTHING but my mind is working, which is healthy maintenance when you are 72. After awhile maybe that unknown rich uncle will die and I can get on with finishing my Lotus 7 build and m/bikes will be forgotten again. Now I think I will take on Hewlet Packard to see if I can trick my smart a-- printer into publishing some of my pix for you.
Keith (trackfodder) Williams

Last edited:

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
wow your using a cvt with a ht, im using a scooter motor with a frictioon drive, we should just trade half.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
ht= happy time. A nick name for Chinese motor kits. AKA China girl. About drove me nutz too. We should do a glossary thread.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Speaking of CVTs, I spoke with neighbor today. He is the local scooter dealer and we had never met. I offered to let him ride 'ol red. wile he was off, I looked down at the CVT on his brandy new slick electric start scooter with all the bells, whistles and and a kick start right on the CVT!!. When he came back unimpressed with my Baby, I asked him about it. He said there would be no way I could mount one for use with a HT/ChinaGurl. He has obviously never met a MBer b4, snork. I will post pics

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
Speaking of CVTs, I spoke with neighbor today. He is the local scooter dealer and we had never met. I offered to let him ride 'ol red. wile he was off, I looked down at the CVT on his brandy new slick electric start scooter with all the bells, whistles and and a kick start right on the CVT!!. When he came back unimpressed with my Baby, I asked him about it. He said there would be no way I could mount one for use with a HT/ChinaGurl. He has obviously never met a MBer b4, snork. I will post pics
MWahahahahaha
Umm, Im gonna try to keep the kick start, and i am keeping the electric start if i can get a battery

also you could go pull start, there available on good ole ebay...