AMF Cruiser for motor project

GoldenMotor.com

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I got this bike several years ago from a yard sale, ok like 15-20 and it has been in my parents basement ever since. At that point I did a quick cleaning, sprayed the fenders white, and added some tires from Wal-mart. Now I think I might add a 2-stroker to see how I like the hobby. I'll probably need to add some tires too. If I like the way things work out i'll re-use the motor for a Board Tracker or Vintage Cruiser project, probably with a frame etc.. from Sportscarpat.

Bike on this project, AMF Co. Serial number T1484983. I think it's a 1970-1980 model but not too sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Getting closer, I'm thinking about using a rear mounted gas tank on the set up. I originally wanted a custom tank but those are expensive as I don't have the skills to make one up. Also upon looking at it closer it wouldn't really be a very large tank. I think the rear tank will look good. The wheels look like they are in good shape and spokes are nice and think but I will need some tires for sure. I just need to open up the wallet in a week or so and get some stuff ordered.

Any tips for removing the handle bar grips?

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Worked on the bike a bit more today. I removed the grips and some other misc. stuff and am in the process of cleaning now. I've since taken off the bars and sanded and painted them black. Also, ordered my seat today and found some stuff on clearance at Wally World, new grips and tool pouch.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought, would not put the fenders back on. Especially the front unless you shore them up with better bracketing. They really are the most dangerous part of a build. If the front lets go, it stops the front wheel but not you or the rest of the bike. Here is a link for a search on em. fender - Google Search Has some great fixes and some horror stories. One of em is mine. (One of the not fun kind)

Man, didn't mean to be a downer. Is a big deal though so just sayin'

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks for the tips Dan. If I upgrade to the monarch or springer forks I might remove the front fender for sure. In the mean time i'll be reinforcing them etc..

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Got the bike back together and rode it around a bit. I can now see why some of these were motorized, it's heavy, really heavy compared to my road bike (Orbea). Also, the lack of lower gears and short crank arms makes it even more difficult especially on hills. I'll post pics later.
In the mean time, does anyone know where to find a laid back seat post?

poo poo pipe

Aug 2, 2010
colorado
Looking better all the time! On my bike while waiting to get a springer front i mocked up a gas tank out of cardboard, looked good,But when i put the springer on the mockup tank was way too wide and would hit the fork tubes. I ended up making it about 3 1/2 inches wide from my oringal size of 6 inches,On the seat post just cut at desired angle insert a solid bar also bent at deseried angle and reweld. (The inserted bar makes a stronger post.)

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Hey nice tip on the tank, I actually started out at 6" myself and then ended up tapering the front and back but it seemed to have too many angles so i went down to 5" overall width. Maybe I might have to consider going back to the tapered approach as I want to make sure it holds a good amount of gas and has room for the filler etc..

Thanks for the tip on the seat post as well. I don't have any welding skills so I might get one from sportscarpat once I know the exact size of my seat tube.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Sportscarpat is making me up a seat post and in the mean time i've been working on the PVC tank build. Not so easy.... I had to tweak and cut a bit off and it's not looking exactly like what I wanted it to but hey there can always be another one made later on down the road. The biggest mistake so far is that I used 1/4" PVC which is really thick stuff and not easily cut. I should have used something about half that thick to have some flex. I got some tank sealer and some JB weld to tidy things up and to protect the inside. Also, I found a filler at good ol Home Depot. I guess i'm about ready to pull the trigger and order the engine.

Anyone have any good deals on the 2010 66CC Grubee, maybe free shipping?

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Updated Picture, should receive my laid back seat post today from Sportscarpat and have been working with Terry to get an AMF head badge. Also, the sheet metal gas tank just might work as I was able to get the standard silver solder to stick with no problems. Tricky part might be holding everything in place while soldering.

Attachments

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
I just got through building out a cruiser for a guy who lives in a rather hilly part of the neighboring town. I wound up using a 66cc engine and a larger rear sprocket to counter the hill pedaling situation, and the thing climbs like a billy goat. You lose a little off the top end but gain the torque you need for climbing. He now climbs a 1/4 mile long hill that has a 45 degree incline, no problemo.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Had to drop my rear wheel off at the bike shop today to get it trued up as it had some wobble. The guy says it might not true up that well, steel rim etc.. also he said the hub is in bad shape but might be able to loosen it up a bit and make it work better. If I can't get it to work once I mount it up with a motor and sprocket I might have to upgrade the wheels to some workmans or something similar. We'll see how it goes. Bike guy seemed like one of those that makes things seem really bad but can probably work wonders with it. Cross your fingers. In the mean time the badge is here and it looks great and the PVC tank is coming along nicely.