A question about additives

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yeah... really... WD40 and tranny fluid both are excellent cleaners and preservatives, we used to use WD40 as starting fluid when I used to work on big diesel trucks, the guy I worked for used to have cases and cases of WD in his stock room because if ya ever tried to start a diesel after installing a new pump or injectors etc... you'll know why...

ATF is also what the Rx7 guys use to keep the insides of their engines clean and carbon free... They flush it thru the carb with the engine running the same way we would do sea foam thru an engine to clean it out. I guess because they don't use piston rings but do use apex seals and side seals,these can get carbon buildup causing the car to burn oil and smoke, but the ATF cleanup revives and un sticks these seals...

I do save old ATF for those really stubborn grease caked parts, just dip them in the ATF for as long as I can or overnight usually does the trick.

For WD40, I always keep it on hand at the shop... that stuff has countless uses.

I guess we can un hijack this guy's post now... lol

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
brake fluid can remove the paint on miniatures without damaging the details of the model, just let em soak then lightly scrub with a toothbrush.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
use salt and dry, uncooked rice instead of sand, sand will work but ruin the surface making your pot ugly and harder to clean in the future.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Seafoam is an excellent product for cleaning and helping to keep things clean in the fuel system.

The Lucas in the clear bottle that is thick, id good at cleaning like the Seafoam and it has the added benefit of having a good upper cylinder lube to not only clean but also add an extra bit of protection.

Both are great products so it just depends on what someone is wanting to achieve when determining which to use.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Are these really safe to cook with? I would rather start a old fasioned fire my self. I mean they look cool as heck. I am of a boyscout type learning. Me got tricks to making a fire;) To cook the creature I caught.:D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, you guys jogged my memory. They used to make something that was a can of food, like pork and beans and the food can was attached to the top of a Sterno heater.

You peeled off a strip of the Sterno can and the top of the food can, lit the Sterno and it applied just the right amount of heat to the food. Odd but the Air Force didn't issue them but we could buy them in the base BX. This was in the late 60s, in a war zone. Maybe they only made them for a while. I haven't seen anything like them since 1969.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Are these really safe to cook with? I would rather start a old fasioned fire my self. I mean they look cool as heck. I am of a boyscout type learning. Me got tricks to making a fire;) To cook the creature I caught.:D
these are idealy for bush ract and survival situations, they're compact produce no smell or smoke, you can boil about 2 cups of water in 2-3 minutes for sterilization or for cooking food or therbal teas like pine needles or young green willow bark for headaches and help with other pain relief.

yes they're very safe and easy to cook on as long as you use a contai er to cook in over the stove, I wouldn't cook meat or anything else over the alcohol flame.
one thing many people do is make a round tube of hail screen/hardware cloth for the container you plan to cook in to sig on and then take another larger coffee type can or use some flashi g to make a windscreen to help keep direct wind off the stoves flame so it works better.

look Pop can stove on youtube and you'll find a pile of vids, some designs people have made aren't ideal in my opinion but many of them work good.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Wow, you guys jogged my memory. They used to make something that was a can of food, like pork and beans and the food can was attached to the top of a Sterno heater.

You peeled off a strip of the Sterno can and the top of the food can, lit the Sterno and it applied just the right amount of heat to the food. Odd but the Air Force didn't issue them but we could buy them in the base BX. This was in the late 60s, in a war zone. Maybe they only made them for a while. I haven't seen anything like them since 1969.

Tom
sounds interesting Tom,

heati g up cans of food with these little stoves is done very easily and quick, the Heet methanol will get things cooking very quickly.