leather and Motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i used to do a lot of leather carving and got fairly good. been looking for months now for a nice custom leather rack bag for my cruiser and decided i was going to rebuild my leather tool collection ect and bling out my bike in leather. here is a seat someone did and was all i needed to see to start doing leather projects again. for now i plan on doing a seat and rack bag (to hold the battery) for the cruiser. will post pictures as i progress. already ordered a lot of the things and going to the states next week and going to bring back some nice carving leather

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
I used to do leather carving as a kid then moved into wood burning
a good creative project is what everyone needs, that's why I love
these bikes so much, there's no end to what you can do.
Keep us informed I'd love to see your work, you might want to
think about tank bags, never seen any for these small tanks and would
make for a perfect canvas, I'd be interested in one. maybe with a few small
pockets Cell phone, Cigs. I can see it now looks great!
Good luck

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hey Paul. I'm in Gallatin valley Montana, and just like the rest of the state, we have more cattle per square mile than people, so If I can help out some how, let me know. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the possibilities are limitless. i have in the past made everything from wallets to horse saddles, archery and gun cases, quivers ect. then i got into doing framed wildlife pictures in leather. i did everything free hand and never used the stamps that are already pictures. you just don't get the same effect. takes longer but looks way better. gonna take me a little time to get back in the grove and of course none of the supplies i need are available on island. gonna take time and money. i had hundreds of stamps alone and starting from scratch. really looking forward to doing it though

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thank you trey. i will let you know. i am really excited about this. I really regret selling all my stuff before moving to the island but ohh well it won't be the first time i have had to start over. gonna do a bunch of wallets and little things like that to get back in the grove then it will be time to transform my motorized bicycle with hand carved leather. :) for those that have never worked with leather as you get used to it you can pretty much mold anything with it kinda like clay. as i said the possibilities are limitless.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
thank you trey. i will let you know. i am really excited about this. I really regret selling all my stuff before moving to the island but ohh well it won't be the first time i have had to start over. gonna do a bunch of wallets and little things like that to get back in the grove then it will be time to transform my motorized bicycle with hand carved leather. :) for those that have never worked with leather as you get used to it you can pretty much mold anything with it kinda like clay. as i said the possibilities are limitless.
...how about some small tool bags, or some leather grips maybe, instead of wallets and such, i'm sure i'm not the only one here who would be interested in buying the stuff you make while you re-hone your skills, ...after all, how many wallets can you use, lol.

peace, bozo

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i was really good at it bozo. i want to get my skills back before i do anything for anyone and not send out stuff i am not proud of wallets are just practice and will probably give them away during the holidays.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Paul,
That sounds like fun. I too did some leather work back some years ago. I still have a few tools; punches, sewing awls, needles, snap and rivet dies, etc. I did a practice seat cover on the last bike I built but used cheap vinyl. It came out okay but I'd really like to do one in real leather and do some burning similar to the saddle you pictured.

Keep us informed and show us your projects. No, I don't need a new wallet :)

Tom

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I've wanted 'for quite some time now' to put together some saddle bags for my bike. ..leather would be a NICE TOUCH however prices for them already made are outrageous. Seems to me as soon as someone thinks your buying or doing anything for a Harley the price seems to double.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
exactly jumpa plus i could not find what i wanted so gonna make my own and they will be a lot nicer then anything you could purchase.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
put me down for one of your "practice" wallets, paul... ;)

can't wait to see what you come up with. i've seen a lot of people here looking for saddlebags and stuff. you just can't beat the look and feel (and smell) of leather.

a buddy of mine started doing custom biker and punk rock belts and purses and stuff years ago. last i heard, he's got clients like madonna now.

leatherwork is an awesome skill to have. maybe i'll take that up while i'm recuperating from my shoulder surgery. :)

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Sounds good Paul! I have done a little leather work myself 30 years ago and I know the satisfaction that comes with the finished product. Silverbear is a leather guy from way back too. Maybe he'll chime in on this thread. Let us see what you come up with.
Dan

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Mentioned this to a fella I know who happens to be in the Cowboy Hall of Fame, and typical of him; a good suggestion. How about a brand of the site logo? Or some such thing. (wallet size:)?) There are people in this area that still do that work, or I've been told you can order over the web.
Thought I'd forward the idea.

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Head down to your local TANDY leathercraft store and they can set you up with carving leather, tools, and instructions. Did a lot of it when i was stationed at Ft Sill, OK. years ago. They had a leather carving shop right on base with someone to teach it.
Geo.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i wish we had a leather store here even for basic stuff i need to order and a lot of places won't ship here or charge a fortune to. as i said i am flying to the states monday for a week and going to pick up leather and a few other goodies while i am thier

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
slowly getting back into carving. gonna be doing my bags soon. here is a 3 inch coaster i did today

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Not to be a stickler or anything, but shouldn't this thread be posted in the "Motorized Bicycle Accessories"?

And now it's starting to lean towards the "Motorized Bicycle Swap And Shop" forum.....is it not?

When I think of fabrication, leather never crosses my mind...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
fab·ri·cate [fab-ri-keyt]
verb (used with object), fab·ri·cat·ed, fab·ri·cat·ing.
1.to make by art or skill and labor; construct: The finest craftspeople fabricated this clock.
2.to make by assembling parts or sections.
*shrug* sounds good to me.