Gas Resistant O-Ring for top of NT

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hey guys, I know about the fuel resistant o-rings for the carb to intake. I'm wondering if we can get those in a size that'll fit under the top cap. You know, what you unscrew to get the slide out. That cap.

I've had a couple of carbs recently with weird air leaks even when using RTV. So I tried spraying my WD-40 around that cap, and sure enough, there were huge leaks there. (Even with the quality machining rotfl)

I thought about what the space an o-ring would require. At the most some of us will have to remove the locking nut so the adjuster will drop the difference.

So yea, can someone order up a bunch the right size to fit and dole them out to us mere mortals? For an honest price :)

Or at least point me in the right direction to pay $5 shipping for a $0.25 o-ring if you must :p

Or if not an O-ring, a flat gas resistant washer?

I don't think I'm the only one with leakage on the cap, there's so many threads where: "It just won't idle right", "It won't come down to idle", or the ol' "it revs like nuts with no throttle", etc....

What's everyone think?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
That area is not meant to be air tight. All it does is house the needle and barrel. The barrel moves the needle in and out of the jet area in the lower half of the carb. That part IS air and fuel tight. The top part of the carb is not. Obviously if you spray WD-40 in there it will work its way into the fuel eventually, but it is not a direct air leak.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto:

Killer, think of it this way. If that area were guilty of allowing air in you'd have to find a way to seal the cable inside the housing all the way to the twist grip throttle. You can test your theory by unscrewing the cap while the engine is running. It won't change much.

Tom

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Ditto:

Killer, think of it this way. If that area were guilty of allowing air in you'd have to find a way to seal the cable inside the housing all the way to the twist grip throttle. You can test your theory by unscrewing the cap while the engine is running. It won't change much.

Tom
Yep. And if it does change, it would be because of the needle moving.