Heres the bike I chose..

GoldenMotor.com

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
So this is the bike I chose.. Its a "3G Venice". I decided against the black on red, and went with the mat black and copper. UPS says my engine kit will be here on Friday. I am so STOKED!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Looks like a nice, stout bike!
You will probably want to get front and rear brakes.

Remember the 4th rule of flying. It applies here in MABland.
rc

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
It's Friday Bammer! Did your kit show up yet?
Its raining today so probably no work. This means I will be sitting by the door like a little kid. Im refreshing the tracking info every 10 minutes even though it already "says out on truck", I'm considering clearing out a Rubbermaid tub for the front door and making a sigh just to be 100% sure that he leaves the Fracking package. I have waited a week and I'm soooo ready.

Looks like a nice, stout bike!
You will probably want to get front and rear brakes.

Remember the 4th rule of flying. It applies here in MABland.
rc
I definitely agree, this may be the biggest oops about choosing this bike. The larger than normal head tube is making it impossible to find a set of forks for a disc brake setup, I don't want to use that standard style of brake due to the copper finish on the wheels. I really am that vain. I may be breaking out the welder and fabbing something up. I'm not sure yet.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Bammer. I know your pain. Waiting is not fun. But really does add to the "kid opening his bday presents" thing.

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
I know refreshing wont tell me that its any closer. Over a 7 day period the only tracking info I got was "left Georgia" and "arrived in California" . The reason for the refreshing is im terrified of seeing a "delayed" or something like that.. Plus Im checking the door like a madman and I have seen 2 UPS trucks drive by so far.. This is going to drive me to drink lol

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
For whatever reason every place/person I called would build a bike for me or sell me a bike they made for like 500-700 bucks but would not sell me the kit..

Everyone seems to think that they are gonna become pro moped builders.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The first time she lights of, is an incredible high Bammer. Truly Exhilarating!

Functional art and a never ending work in progress. (Until the next build)

LOL, talk about obsessed?

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
The first time she lights of, is an incredible high Bammer. Truly Exhilarating!
I have rescued 3 motorcycles, and old Honda moped and probably a dozen classic cars, and to tell you the truth I think Im more excited about the motorized bicycle. It reminds me of when I was a kid with my brothers turning shopping carts into go carts and pulling engines and motors out of everything we could get out hands on to make our own vehicles. They were usually death traps but so much fun. I know that I will probably probobly giggle like a girl when it pops and fires. Im really excited about the build process.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Im sure it will, but not 700 dollars.
True, but you are providing the labor for free. You said you were quoted between $500 - $700 (which seems about the same as a basic HT build around here too).

I think you said you got you bike for $200, +$30 for a front brake? Do you know what your engine kit will cost? I think the going rate for BGFs right now is $180 shipped, so that is $410 right there. So a shop quoting a $500 price is not all that bad, but I can only assume they are basing that off of a $100 bike and no a $200 bike... $700 though, for just a Cranbrook and a generic HT kit, that is a little much. The guys around here that charge $700 at least throw in some paint, springer front end, and some upgraded hardware. Still a tidy profit, though.

But for a personal build, on top of the bike and generic kit, the little stuff adds up too. Upgrade the kit bolts and intake/exhaust studs $10, upgrade the head studs $10, upgrade the air filter $15, upgrade the petcock (supposedly the stock one is junk) $10, upgraded spark plug and wire $10, fuel filter $5, universal oversized front engine mount $15... throw in shipping and you are at $90. So $500 total so far.

Then say you wanted to not mess up those pretty new wheels with a rag joint (and not worry about the hassle), add another $75 for a hub adapter and sprocket.

Then, should the new front brake not work as well as you had hoped to haul the bike down from 35 MPH (I am assuming they installed a side pull brake on the front, for $30), maybe add $75 for a new Sturmey Archer front drum, and another $25 to lace it to your wheel?

Not quite $700, but pretty darn close. And that is without any really fancy stuff like in-frame tanks, snazzy seat, springer fork, etc.

The good news is that it can mostly be done incrementally, but man... it can really add up!

BUT, I cannot wait to see your build. I am certain it will be spectacular!

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
I have re-written this reply 4 times over. Im getting a little hostile/peeved. The money is not the issue. I want to build it. The stupid comment about buying locally is what started this aspect of the conversation. Yes, i would rather build to my specs and have it cost me 1000 if its what I wanted. But buying a bike off a dude with a free website that dose not even work is not going to happen.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I have re-written this reply 4 times over. Im getting a little hostile/peeved. The money is not the issue. I want to build it. The stupid comment about buying locally is what started this aspect of the conversation. Yes, i would rather build to my specs and have it cost me 1000 if its what I wanted. But buying a bike off a dude with a free website that dose not even work is not going to happen.
I hear ya, and agree completely about building it yourself! I meant nothing negative by my post, very sorry if it sounded that way.

I just know that I was surprised when I tallied up what my "basic" build was going to cost and did not want you to be surprised as well.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
PS. 500 was the bring the "Shop" your bike price.. 700 was on craigslist.
Wow, that is a very nice profit margin. Even a noobtard like me could knock out a basic build in a weekend, I am sure one of the more experienced guys could do it in a handful of hours.

Maybe I should build a bad free website myself, then I could afford a hot Morini build... lol

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
I hear ya man, and I probably could have got someone to do it for me for a good price, but i could buy a scooter for that much lol.. I want to build my bike, plain and simple. So I have check the door about 15 times since 9am. Its raining here now, so it looks like I will be taking over the living room :)