Air Pneumatic Nibbler and Cutter

GoldenMotor.com

Rickygs

Jul 10, 2011
Geneva,NY
I am looking at a air nibbler and found this one [ Neiko Tools U.S.A. Air Nibbler ]. does anyone the pressure and the cmf I would to use this. Please let me know if this tool is crap. I would be using on light sheet metal,bike spokes ect.
Thanks Rick

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Most air tools use a lot of cfm to work. I'm not familar with that tool, but thet usualy have the cfm needed listed in their manual or ad.. You could get by with a 6 cfm compressor with a large tank for short intermittent work. For continuos work, around 12cfm would be better.

These Cfm I'm talkin about are the high pressure rating cfm. That's where the work's done. Most any compressor output higher cfm at low pressure in their brochure's nomenclature.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
that looks like a handy little nibbler , for 40 bucks .
i,ve only used the bigger electric nibblers before .
As for pressure , i,de say most tools like full shop pressure 80-90 psi . it will work on a small home compressor ( it will just never shut off )

SPOKES ... just use a pair of side cutters on spokes ( don,t use the nibbler .... especially a small one like that ) your just gonna end up wrecking the nibbler .

KEY WORD ... ( Nibbler ) ... not spoke cutter
if use it only on sheet metal like it was made for , then i can,t see why it wouldn,t work ok.

I allready know that if you do get one ... despite any warnings ... you're gonnal use it on a spoke ... just to see if it will cut it .

SO ... IF YOU DO ... BE CAREFULL ... If you cut a spoke ( a loose/off of the wheel spoke ) chances are the loose end that you are not holding will shoot up and stick in your eye ( you know , like that mini Jay Lenno looking kid with the red ryder BB gun from - The Chistmas Story ).....Then you,ll be running around .. bleeding and screaming like a little baby , going ... doctor doctor theres a spoke in my eye , and all that .
And then the doctors gonna ask ya ... " well didn,t anyone tell ya not to cut spokes with a nibbler " ? And your gonna have a stupid look on your face and you're gonna say " well ya ... but ahhh " . Then the doctors gonna give you this ( what a dummie look ) ..." nurse .... get me the visegrips .. we got another spoke cutter here

Rickygs

Jul 10, 2011
Geneva,NY
Thats what i thought, My compressor is probably 15 years old and is not pushing the pressure that it should. I think i will go get a new one in the morning

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio
My IR 325b air nibbler only uses 4 CFM @ 96 PSI so I agree with Wayne that a 6 CFM compressor should run it. As with most pneumatic tools, volume is key. Use high flow 3/8 fittings and large diameter lines if possible...and keep the air dry.

I use 1 inch lines & two 150 gallon tanks to reduce the cycling on my rotary screw compressor.

Rickygs

Jul 10, 2011
Geneva,NY
Ok, that's great to know. I thought the nibble wound a better cut than a cutting wheel. My cutter wheel is a little jumpy at times. Cutting the spokes with a hand metal cutter is the way to go, but,, I have MS and don't have the strength to squeeze the cutters.. Have fear i will not cut the spokes with the nibble, I appreciate the warning

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If you want to cut a lot of spokes easily, look at bolt cutters. They have them in small sizes only about 12"-18" long .

Might also look an the heavy duty electrican/ ironworkers wire cutting pliers (Kliens?) with the offset fulcrum pin. They cut 9 guage steel wire easily with one hand.

Last edited: