What kind of engine could you put in this puppy

GoldenMotor.com

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
I wouldnt put any IC engine in that thing... Too much vibration and torque for that wooden frame.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
Well I would avoid using that frame just for the reason that it does not have a seat post. That and the vibration from the motor would tear it apart in no time.

My BIke is made out of steel and I think a little overkill is a good idea when your putting a motor on a bike. The bike I own is based on an old SCOTT Mountain bike frame that I had to change the rear dropouts. I also had to braze new cantilever mounts on the front fork, but I did not have to do it for the rear wheel. I would not be able to modify my frame if it was anything else but steel.

I own a OX acetylene torch and a scratch type TIG.

mike

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well if I wanted to make toothpicks, I'd mount this motor on that bike.........plain and simple!

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/img0399gq.jpg/]
[/URL]

dnut

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
There was and still are airplanes made of wood. Propellers too. Wood absorbs vibes better than metal.
One of the first motorcycles was all wood.

just sayin...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
There was and still are airplanes made of wood. Propellers too. Wood absorbs vibes better than metal.
One of the first motorcycles was all wood.

just sayin...
What you say is true, to a point. Some airplanes were once made of wood. Many bicycles are made of metal. Both true.

Some bicycles are made of steel; some are aluminum; some chromoly; some titanium; some are alloys of a few of the preceding; etc.

They were careful about picking the wood for aircraft even in the good old days. Birch and ash were used a lot. The plywood was constructed of painstakingly fine, multiple layers of veneer. They used woods that could take a lot of punishment. Not something you'd build a garden bench out of.

I'd need to know what kind of wood(s) that bike was made of and how it was made before I'd consider a motor. But, hey, if it was done right...

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You forgot about spruce (Spruce Goose for instance) It was and still is used today to build airframes for experimentals( Flybaby and others) and ultralights ( Minimax and others). The only thing plywood is used for is mainly gussets and firewalls and some skin areas. Poplar and fir are commly used today too. The poplar is about the same weight and strength as spruce. Fir is a little heavier.

If a wooden plane can be built very light, and to withstand the fast hard jolts of rough landings, vibes from engines and props, and being bounced around in turbulance, then with some skill and knowledge, I see no reason a strong, reliable MB couldn't be built with wood.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You forgot about spruce (Spruce Goose for instance) It was and still is used today to build airframes for experimentals( Flybaby and others) and ultralights ( Minimax and others). The only thing plywood is used for is mainly gussets and firewalls and some skin areas. Poplar and fir are commly used today too. The poplar is about the same weight and strength as spruce. Fir is a little heavier.

If a wooden plane can be built very light, and to withstand the fast hard jolts of rough landings, vibes from engines and props, and being bounced around in turbulance, then with some skill and knowledge, I see no reason a strong, reliable MB couldn't be built with wood.
Yes, I did forget about spruce (my bad). But the Spruce Goose was actually not made of spruce. Surprising bit of trivia there for you.

I have to confess, I am more concerned about HOW it was made of wood, rather than WHAT wood. But, as I said, if well made and exceptionally strong, I'd be game. Would have to watch out for thieves AND woodpeckers, though :)