The Wally-Banger Special build

GoldenMotor.com

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
about a week ago i ordered a nice cheap bike that would look good too, and the most cost effective motor kit i could find.

which led me to: the green/black cranbrook one speed coasterbrake cruiser
Walmart.com: Huffy Cranbrook College Cruiser Men's 26" Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys
free shipping^

and the cheapest 66cc slant head motor i could find was from Kings 134$ plus 30 for shipping to RI
Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Motor - Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Engine Kit - 66cc Bicycle Engine Kit

the bike came in the other day:

fist thing i did was re-enforce the fenders, i defiantly want them on this build it looks too cool to remove them,
this is just going to be a cruiser more comfort than speed
motor kit will be in next week
usflg
happy 4th weekend all!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I like the color combo. I would add a front brake after motorizing. A BMX front brake, caliper type, will fit over your fender and they don't cost much.

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
I like the color combo. I would add a front brake after motorizing. A BMX front brake, caliper type, will fit over your fender and they don't cost much.
yeah i think thats a good idea too i got some spare bits lying around i can helo this thing stop better

i love the seat on this thing

dance1

i cant wait to bolt a brand spanking new engine in this puppy, ive only worked with second hand engines on previous motor bike builds

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
does anyone know what the two bolts on the seat tube are for? they are two allen key chrome socket heads, inline right where the rear mount of the motor would be, are they for an accessory like a water bottle or somthing?

will it interfere wit my motor?

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Won't interfere a bit. Did you check all the bearings on the bike? Also, you'll need a different brake set up as stated above. The coaster will fail.

Good luck with the build. Lemme know if you have any questions on the Cranny install.

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
where would the rear mount of the motor be in relation to the two bolts in the frame?

i rode it pretty hard for a few miles after i got it together, to adjust the handelbars where id like them and the seat an such. the wheels run true, i did grease wherever i could in the hubs and on the bearings for the steering tube.

how do i get the grip off the handelbar? is is glued or anything, i dont want to just cut it, it would be nice to use it on the twist throttle is this an easy swap?

thanks all

fedex predicted my kit will be in some time today, i cant wait to get this thing together
dance1

harlyhermansson

Nov 7, 2010
sweden
that bike look great!!
i usually use a Flathead screwdriver to widening the Handel and if nesecery put a drop of oil on the screwdriver but make shore that you clean the oil out the handel before re mounting.

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
so today i got a nice fedex package
my motor is in whooooooo (imho fedex has the worst tracking system it rarely updated it self and kept me in suspense the whole time)

now heres the better news!
i ordered the cheapest motor i could find because im cheap
so i expected a silver slant 66cc motor to come to my door, but no! they sent me a skyhawk GT5 kit!
whooooo now it has a sweet sticker on the clutch lol (is that the only difference?)

if they did sent me this kit on purpose its because it came with the T mount for a wide tube and not the nice pipe clamp version shown in the silver slant picture.
but hey you win some you lose some

i did read about somone else ordering the same kit from king's and also got a gt5 for some reason, the person was as stoked as i am now so he didnt return it or question the company
(so if you wanna save 20 bucks order a silver slant and you get a gt5 upgrade for free!) (maybe...)

more pics tomorrow time for me to dream of going 30 mph on my freshly built cruiser!xct2

also welcome to page two

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
i use a t mount on my bikes never had a problem with the T mounts ..............if ever anything went wrong it was cause the welds on the bike weren't solid enough

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I wouldn't trust it on a Crannie. Just sayin'...30+mph on a rigid Walmart bike isn't anything to mess with. I'm learning this with every ride I take.

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
thats all i use are crannies never had a problem with them because i go out and inspect them before i buy them to see if all the welds are good if you do that then there shouldnt be any problem with them

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
whoa i had a panic attack between reading those posts guys,

im glad to hear that somone else uses the t mount, and even better its the same bike
ive already installed the t mount

how many miles on your bikes ruby?

also i need to remedy the weak chain, ive already snapped it trying to pop start it. can i use thick bmx chain?

how relyable is the choke setup, i havent quite been sold on it yet

my favorite part about this bike is the manufacture date!

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
now heres the better news!
i ordered the cheapest motor i could find because im cheap
so i expected a silver slant 66cc motor to come to my door, but no! they sent me a skyhawk GT5 kit!
whooooo now it has a sweet sticker on the clutch lol (is that the only difference?)

if they did sent me this kit on purpose its because it came with the T mount for a wide tube and not the nice pipe clamp version shown in the silver slant picture.
but hey you win some you lose some

i did read about somone else ordering the same kit from king's and also got a gt5 for some reason, the person was as stoked as i am now so he didnt return it or question the company
(so if you wanna save 20 bucks order a silver slant and you get a gt5 upgrade for free!) (maybe...)

If you got a Grubee kit .... here is what gasbike does , if you order the cheapest one .... they then send you outdated (old stock) of there better kits .... I am convinced they really only have two , the Gt5 and Gt2b. I ordered the gasbike special and received two gt2b 2010 kits ..... guess i finally got them back when they over charged me in Nov .....lol .... dm right I wasnt going to return them....

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
also did you have probs w the coaster brake ..... mainly dust cap and getting it to function correctly ??? I just built my first one with a coaster and it was a nightmare ! Never again will I use a coaster bike !!!

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
ill go to tractor supply tomorrow thanks for the tip i hate waiting for shipping

the coaster brake wasnt a problem, i took the brake arm off and bolted up the rag joint then re installed the brake arm, i only had to ad a slight curve to the arm to clear the rag joint bolt heads, i didnt reinstall the dust cap the brake arm covers the hole pretty well

i also need to figure out the best way to either use the tensioner or to go straight chain, ive decided the most crucial part of a motor bike build is the chain

id like to use the spring loaded bit on a derailure to hold it tight but ive read how bad they can be, im going to try a ballbearing sprocked from a derailer where the stock roller is
.trk

Last edited: