Handlebar vibration solution!

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Reviving this thread.

Does filling the bars with a bb/ expanding foam combo help at all?
Sounds like a plan. I think lead shot is heavier though.

I wanna fill my crank and pedals especially, my feet hurt!

I wrapped my frame with a layer of innertube and then electrical tape where I mounted. I filed and sanded smooth the edges of the mounts so that they would cut through the tape/rubber. This was to protect the paint job and stop rust though.

Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
Ok, im going to home depot today. Im Gonna fill my bars with expanding foam and report back here. I was going to put led shot or bbs in it, but noticed that if i do that and expanding foam, the foam would push out the bbs.

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
I fill every tube i can stick the foam into! I noticed quite a bit of diffrence after filling the frame and bars with expanding foam. be sure that you do it while the frame is torn apart, crank, headset etc. The foam will expand and ooze out of the holes. I can imagine it would be pretty nasty to clean up the bearings from that mess. I am not sure if it was the very best idea to do. But I have had no problems thus far.

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
Hmmmmm. I just turned a few pairs of wooden handle bar grips on the lathe. I was goint to put them on with some clear silicone between the bar and the inside of the grip. I never thought about filling the bar with something to reduce vibration. But I might give it a try...the grips came out really nice and I want them on my bike NOW!!!

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Narrower tires with a smooth or street tread take away most vibration

a bigger gear really helps too- the revs are so many less with a 36 as oppossed to a 44

I also like bars that are perpendicular- a safer, more relaxed grip is easier to get- I like alloy BMX with about an 8 inch rise- they're not the fastest, but easy on my bad back, and very lightweight

I have a front sprung shock- like a mountain bike, but on a cruiser- a bit difficult to find, but they're out there

between all those things, my hands never bother me

.wee.

Attachments

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Where did u get that suspension seat post that's on that other bike in the background of that pic Nashville Kat?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I got the post at Amazon.com- it was really cheap- less than $20 shipped- in fact I have two of them-

there are some complaints in the reviews about excessive play in the seat from side to side- one of my posts is a bit wobbly, the other not bad- for a motorbike that's not really pedalled far, I like them- wouldn't want the wobbly one on my road bike

they're very light alloy and machined well otherwise, and come with or without the seat bracket built in

Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
Ok, so i put the expanding foam in the bars........ Its kinda..... surprising.

BIG IMPROVEMENT! I can wot without my hands going numb. It used to vibrate so bad my hands would slip off.

Now i need to find a way to fix the pedal and crank vibration!

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
TBN said:
Now i need to find a way to fix the pedal and crank vibration!
If it works good in the bars, why not in the frame itself? Hmm, could work, eh? At least down the seatpost tube. Then if you can ooze some in through a water bottle hole on the front tube? Or just enlarge the hole and use a bigger screw to cap it.

That would absorb a ton of vibes!

Last edited: