2 vs. 4 Stroke...

GoldenMotor.com

jmr3394

Apr 5, 2010
U.S.A.
hrichmon, mechanically 2 strokes make more power then four strokes. For every 2 strokes of the piston the crank shaft revolves one full time. It takes 4 strokes twice the amount to revolve one time. My guess is that you didn't break in he engine enough and thats why you couldn't get past 25.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I have a question for the California people. Can I even legally obtain a 2 stroke engine in California?

I have been looking into the 2 stroke/4 stroke question and one of the vendors on this site can not ship a two stroke engine into California due to EPA restrictions. Would I need to get one in some sort of black market situation?

If this question is too sensitive (legally) to comment on, I understand.

Gilbert

BlueBloodCycles

Jul 12, 2010
Kentucky
I have built both so heres my thought...

Skyhawk 66c gt5 vs HS 49cc

The 4-strokes are better, hands down...

The 2-stroke are cheap, unreliable, and a crapshoot at best. Parts are widely available, but for good reason, because things break often. Carbs are almost always out of adjustment, which can lead to premature wear.

The HS is a good little motor. A Japanese design Chinese copy, is better than a Chinese design in my book. Some guy have over 50k on their Huasheng. Show me a 2-stroke with 50k then we can talk. They have a good power band, loads of grunt for a 49cc, plus 7000 rpms equals good top end. The only disadvantage is the gearboxes. Their 6+ to choose from, some better than others. But the EZM shows a proven 45mph+ and silent operation. Show me a 2-stroke single speed that can do that.

Step your game up, get a thumper

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If someone were to build a 4 stroke version of the HT motor (with an actual clutch) I'd probably get one but every 4 stroke I've seen looks out of place on a bike. They're just plain too wide and have to sit off center which to me just looks wrong. Even the Chinese cones of the Honda 50 don't look right on a bicycle without having the frame custom built for it.

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
If someone were to build a 4 stroke version of the HT motor (with an actual clutch) I'd probably get one but every 4 stroke I've seen looks out of place on a bike. They're just plain too wide and have to sit off center which to me just looks wrong. Even the Chinese cones of the Honda 50 don't look right on a bicycle without having the frame custom built for it.
I thought the 2 cycles look like a plastic decoration more than an actual engine.
I owned a 2 cycle and sold the bike to build a 4 cycle. I liked the HS so much that I cannot see me
ever owning another 2 cycle unless it has a weed trimmer attachment on it. The 2 cycle looks much too small on a cruiser frame in my opinion.

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
I have a question for the California people. Can I even legally obtain a 2 stroke engine in California?

I have been looking into the 2 stroke/4 stroke question and one of the vendors on this site can not ship a two stroke engine into California due to EPA restrictions. Would I need to get one in some sort of black market situation?

If this question is too sensitive (legally) to comment on, I understand.

Gilbert
There are tons of posts on legalities of engines in CA including the riding laws, look for them in a variety of places. Yes you can obtain one although not all dealers will sell them to you just because they want to avoid any problems. Check many of the sponsors on the left and right, many of them have no problem sending you an engine. Heck Venice Motor Bikes is in California and sells 2 strokes as you can see by his site.

Now as for my personal preference I'm starting with a 4 stroke because I like the idea of being able to fill up anywhere. As for power output and all that what I am really only wanting isn't top speed but power enough to push my 250lb ass around. :)

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I have a Mitsubishi TLE 43cc 2 stroke friction drive and I couldn't be more happier with it.I run 100 to 1 with Opti2 oil with an NKG sparkplug.....starts easy, I get 90mpg WFO and it's fairly quiet.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The 4-strokes are better, hands down...

The 2-stroke are cheap, unreliable, and a crapshoot at best...

I would like to point out a slight flaw in your statements - not all two strokes are made in China, to be had for the least money possible.

Once you consider the plethora of high quality two strokes made by reputable companies, that are no more or less a "kit" than your average four stroke - that if you consider price vs price - your arguments are inherently flawed by only considering the very cheapest of two strokes.

You get what you pay for - can't blame something for being "cheap" if that's all you were willing to spend ;)

BlueBloodCycles

Jul 12, 2010
Kentucky
I would like to point out a slight flaw in your statements - not all two strokes are made in China, to be had for the least money possible.

Once you consider the plethora of high quality two strokes made by reputable companies, that are no more or less a "kit" than your average four stroke - that if you consider price vs price - your arguments are inherently flawed by only considering the very cheapest of two strokes.

You get what you pay for - can't blame something for being "cheap" if that's all you were willing to spend ;)

If you go back and re-read my post, the second line is:

"sky hawk gt5 vs. huasheng 49cc"

Seeing as these are the two most popular configurations, i thought i would keep my post relative. I am not actually arguing per se, I am just giving my personal experiences with these two products, and personal thoughts.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
*shrug* I'll grant ya that lol ;)

TBH I still find the point somewhat debatable, while I'll admit there's some truth to what you say - I'd not agree it's near as bad a picture as painted.

Much of the poor reputation of the Chinese two stroke kits can be attributed to what I consider to be a misunderstanding. While the advertisements claim that it's a motorized bicycle kit - as in, bolt it to your bike and go... I think given the price tag it's a much more reasonable view to consider it an engine kit for a bicycle - as in, the engine itself is a kit. While everything is included, it's the barest minimum (some upgrading is recommended) and final finish and assembly needs be done - it's only put together as to not lose the parts in transit.

Excepting the occasional dud and bad casting (major reasons to get from a reputable vendor whom honors returns), every two stroke kit I've had experience with or seen that is assembled with that mentality has been a well running, reliable build.

While it's not an outright misrepresentation by the retailers, I think that generally speaking people may have far higher expectations than the price tag implies. You just really can't expect much for $150, yet with little more than another $50, some research and a little time - you get far more enjoyment than $200 warrants :D

I just wish more folks would look into what they're getting - before they get it. There'd be a little less disappointment that way...

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Two stroke has a higher power to weight ratio, making it perfect for the small engine application of a motorized bike, however as you begin to scale engines up, two strokes make a lousy mid size engine. Some of you guys on here are old enough to remember Chryslers 2-two stroke dabaucle of the 70's, So cars tend to run 4 stroke, because of vibrations and what not, however if you take it one step further, many large marine engines are 2 - stroke diesels, big enough for a man to stand in the cylinder. so two versus 4 the only place that 4 strokes trump a 2 in a commercial application is in cars. Just look at most small displacement dirt and motor bikes, they tend to be 2s I think that is for a reason. Nothing against 4 stokes, but for a motorized bike I tend to think the application lends it self well to the design.

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
How could anyone think they look cool with a 4 stroke strapped to the back tire, I think they look total "Larry" on there,... I'm with venice all the way

How could you not think that this is cool and looks like a motorcycle,.... and if you think it's too loud... go sit in the corner and play with your barbie dolls

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Interesting discussion.......I run a 29'er that originally cost about 500 bucks and then spent another 500 bucks on a quality 2 cycle kit friction drive kit- my original intention was to have a bicycle that looks nothing like a motorcycle and as much like a regular bicycle as possible.

Yup, good 29'er tires cost as much as a low end car tire, but like it was pointed out previously in this post....you get what you pay for. I've had "0" problems in over 1000 miles so far this year and I've been passed and driven by numerous police officers with nary a raised eyebrow.

I really, really don't want to offend any of the other forum members or start up a s**tstorm, but it just kills me when I read about riders building bikes up from Wal-Marts bikes. Go to any decent bike shop and they call them BSO's...that stands for Bicycle Shaped Object....go ahead- Google it. Quite a few bike shops won't even work on them due to liability issues.

When I read about guys on this board going 40mph+ on these bikes....it makes me cringe a little bit because they aren't designed to last that long.

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
How could anyone think they look cool with a 4 stroke strapped to the back tire, I think they look total "Larry" on there,... I'm with venice all the way

How could you not think that this is cool and looks like a motorcycle,.... and if you think it's too loud... go sit in the corner and play with your barbie dolls
I guess it's ok if you overlook the fact that the expansion chamber is much larger than the engine.
Why would you want a hot exhaust pipe up by your leg/thigh?

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I will speak for this one I am familiar with that pipe it is not a problem at all. The heat dissipates way more than you think.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
This thread is so...

...irrelevant.

(took me a while to think of a word that wouldn't breech our rules lol)

2 vs 4 stroke is simply a matter of application and personal preference, no more no less. Why some feel the need to bash what they don't have I'll never understand - it's not about which is inherently better as that depends solely on application, the right tool for the job.

My first two builds I wished simplicity and speed - thus I chose the 2 stroke.

The build I'm contemplating currently is focused on comfort and extreme distance runs, speed is far less a consideration - thus I'm after a 4 stroke.

As for aesthetics - I assure you that beauty is subjective, what one finds garish the next finds a beautiful example of form following function.

Anything else is like arguing about sports, in the end - we're all playing ball so what does it matter?

Last edited: