Ranking frame quality when used bike shopping

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
To supplement the thread started by Patr1ck (http://motorbicycling.com/f3/aluminum-frame-steel-frame-19088.html) I thought I'd get some opinions/comments on the quality or rankings of some well known brand name steel bike frames as I'm always on the lookout for good frames ever since the MB bug bit me. Please feel free to mention your own brands as well.

In my case I currently have 5 bikes (4 mountain bikes and 1 road bike) which will be motorized. They are Diamondback, Raleigh, Velosport, Fuji and a Peugeot road bike frame.

All including the Peugeot road bike are steel framed (which is sort of my preference I guess). All are from the 1990's except the Peugeot which I think is from late 70's/early 80's. I know the Diamondback is chrome-moly and I assume that the Raleigh and Velosport are probably chrome-moly as well but I'm not sure of the type of steel of the other 2 frames.

Anyways, how would you guys rate these (and other brands) I've mentioned as far as their reputation/quality goes?

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
There are different versions of Diamondback. One is a bike shop good quality frame the other for cheaper dept. store sales. I broke the downtube last year on a costco bike that appeared to be good quality. It was very thin. I ride a GT frame now. It's a 80's model I got for 20 bucks on craigslist. It is far and away a better bike for a motor. Much stiffer and solid feeling ride. Very retro paint but I like it. Be sure to check out the seat post mod.

HDbike.JPG

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I had 2 that i had my motor on, a roadmaster sx sport mountain bike and a swchinn del mar cruiser, both frames were great, the roadmaster had better wheels,so i put the roadmaster wheels on the swchinn.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Ive been eyeing the Worksman bikes. They seem pretty durable and have only heard good things about them. My next bike is going to be one. Pirate cycles makes a sweet tank for them too.

Pat

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Worksman makes a rock solid frame, So does Husky. Only downfall is they are a little heavy. I was going to buy a worksman when I found the GT for cheap.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Worksman makes a rock solid frame, So does Husky. Only downfall is they are a little heavy. I was going to buy a worksman when I found the GT for cheap.
Too heavy? Maybe it needs a Morini. Now thats an idea. If it'll fit. What is the GT? I need to check them out too.

Pat

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Pic in post #2 It's called a triple triangle frame. The rear wheel stays go past the seat post and make a extra triangle. It makes the rear of the bike very stiff and solid.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the input. I didn't even think to consider the bike shop vs. dept. store differences on the same brand. The only frame I'm certain of is the Diamondback since it was my first real mountain bike bought new from one of those spandex places. That's why I know it's chrome-moly and also it happens to be a very nice stiff frame, no complaints. The other frames (Raleigh, Velosport, Fuji and Peugeot) I'm uncertain of since I got them from the local dump, that's why I'm not sure of what steel they are and also if they're bike shop quality or the cheaper quality.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
So I got the Raleigh frame stripped and painted since that's the frame I've decided to use for my build. Anyways, I also noticed the serial numbers on the frame. Does anyone know if Raleigh (and/or others) have a database/registry where you can find out the year and type of tubing from the serial numbers?

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Yes, I bought a specialized stumpjumper fromm the 90's and I ran into the specialized sales rep at the bike shop. I showed him a pic of it and he said it looked like a fake. He told me to email the serial number. He looked it up and said it was real. I don't know if the data base it available to the public or not. You can try the net and if not try calling raleigh. By the way my first mountain bike was a chromoly raleigh from the 90's. It was a m 80. I loved that bike.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Haven't had much luck so far surfing the web for a database of Raleigh serial numbers. All I found were databases of the newest Raleigh bikes and also the old Raleigh bikes from the 60's and before. Nothing for the 80's or 90's. Might try calling raleigh directly if I can find the spare time.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I thought all raleigh bikes are chromoly?
Could be. I'm definitely not an expert on Raleigh by far. I started second guessing mine since I rescued my raleigh frame from the local dump so don't know its history and someone mentioned that a lot of bike brands are sold in different quality frames depending if they're destined for the spandex bike shop or the mega sportmart.