A Cops perspective....

GoldenMotor.com

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
That was a nice and informative post. Good to know there are nice police out there, including ones into the same hobby. laff

But I always tell people- buy an obvious mirror and headlight at least. Even if it's a basic motor-on-bicycle build it is still a moped mechanically, and sounds like one too. If I were a cop and saw someone riding a motor vehicle without a light attached I would probably pull them over. Next buy a tailight and speedo so you don't go over the limit.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
Hambro
No flames here, actually nothing but respect for your attitude toward your job. You remind me of my uncle who was Chief of Police for 20+ years in a small town in Minnesota. He saw his job as *keeping the peace*, and the laws were *guidelines* to do so. I considered him as the master of *roadside justice.* Sadly, he died January 17 of 2008. The upside is that at his funeral he finally got the respect he deserved. He had the knack for walking into a situation and calming it down just by saying, "that's enough guys". Of course the fact that he was 6' 8" tall didn't hurt. I thought he was the last of his kind, but after reading your post I think there are a few more.

Anyway, thanks for being you. Might even meet up sometime.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Twice in a week I want a clapping emoticon for ya Hambro. I respect every police officer with your perspective. However that bully cop personality I hate. Brings up a story actually, So at a local Bar that I used to frequent, I had gotten 86'ed for getting in a fight. I went to court and the Judge said, your not allowed back there for one year. Well three months pass, and the Bar owner is literally begging me to come back, he tells me that 80% of his business walked out the door the night I got in the fight, because evryone was my friends, and I got in a fight with his punk bouncer who was being a real jerk to everyone (also had the bully cop mentality). Well about 10 months after the Judge said one year, a buddy of mine came to town. He wanted to go get a beer at our old hang out spot, so we went. I had 1 beer and drank about half of it, some drunk ass tried to fight me, I did not oblige. I went across the street to smoke a cigarette, apparently the guy fought someone inside anyways...lol Cops showed up, mind you I'm across the street smoking and safe at this point. The cops start questioning about the fighter and someone points out the window at me. My buddy walks outside, I go to tell him that we should go elsewhere, but as soon as my foot hit the cement outside the bar a cop slammed me on his car, and guess what I went to jail for violating a judges order... I tried to talk to this officer, he was the most disrespectful person I have met in my life, so rude. Mind you I have much respect for the police and the Job they do, I have never been like this to an officer, but Finally I called him on it, I said o so your that guy! Someone stuck a serious chip on your shoulder didn't they,......etc needless to say I ranted on him and even requested we settle it with a fist fight because he was being such a punk. I get to booking and start talking with the officers inside, and guess what? They are all on my side. I was given an ovation by his coworkers, they had heard almost all of it obviously, and one of them seriously came up shook my hand and said "Thank You, everyone around here hates that guy".......Truly the last thing I expected, To threaten a cop and be commended by his cohorts....wow. Needless to say I spent that night as King of my cell, if there is any such thing.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
O and I learned a lesson, if the Judge says one year, just stay away for the whole year or some random ass coincidence is gonna get ya tagged anyway.

VIP

Mar 30, 2010
maineville ohio
I debated between building an electric hub motor bike or the 2 cycle gas bike for a couple reasons.

1, Riding an electric assist bike on the bike trail probably would not be an issue.

2. I wondered if the police would scrutinize the electric bike as they would the noisy gas bike.!!

I built the gas 2 cycle bike and it works well but I am still not sure of the legality around here. (Ohio)

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
i can tell by the smile on his face he has an

i can tell by the smile on his face he has an bored out skyhawk going 60 mph . which is surely o.k. since there is an another emergency at the precinct - his 1/4 with cheese is waiting on him ..== eeeck jusssst kidddding ! have a nice day !

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hambro,
Thanks for the post. Too often police are stereotyped into a roll defined on TV or in the movies and not in the reality of small town America. I've known some fine cops through the years, but still generally avoid them in uniform, especially the state boys. Anyone who can give you a fine or lock you up is cause for caution. Like around propane or gasoline, why light a match if you don't have to? It is a job I wouldn't want to do, but I sure am glad somebody does. We need our peace officers and unfortunately we need laws. I don't like them all and some are questionable, but lawless sure doesn't work. A few bad ones are still better than none at all.SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hambro, thank you for doing what you do.
I was married to a cop and had meet quite a few on an official level when I was younger. Fast car and I wasn't afraid to use it. A tough job made tougher by a lot of the people you meet, or as my wife said"you don't always meet the nicest people on the job".

Tough job also when your trying to strike a balance and your senior officers are looking for ticket revenue and proof to show the government that they need funding and if your not up to Officer Fine em's level of ticketing your seen as not part of the team.

The Fast Eddy came from a local cop one night in the early 60's. Well earned.

Steve.

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
I pulled along side a cop once and my motor stalled and he asked if it was homemade I told him it was not that it was a kit you can buy online he gave me a thumbs up an told me to get a helmet also to ride with the traffic but he never got out of his car and i am always very sure to be respectful to cops. he was a cool cop..... so very few and far between..... in my dealings with them anyway.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Re: i can tell by the smile on his face he has an

i can tell by the smile on his face he has an bored out skyhawk going 60 mph . which is surely o.k. since there is an another emergency at the precinct - his 1/4 with cheese is waiting on him ..== eeeck jusssst kidddding ! have a nice day !
Doesn't look like the one in the back has been on his bike very long.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I have to admit guys, I'm impressed with all of you. I full expected to get thrashed when I wrote this post. You guys are all wonderful and if I had to choose between partying with a room full of cops or a room full of you guys then the decision is easy. You guys win hands down. Thanks for your comments folks and you will always have a friend in Hambro.

Oh, and by the way, I guess you've figured out where the name Ham-bro comes from now, lol.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I sure as heck ain't gonna let something like wearing a helmet stop me from being an enthusiast. Maybe you should figure out if you love these things or not gareth. I have some evidence photos of guys I've put in body bags that were riding motorcycles and atv's that weren't wearing helmets if you like to see those. Oh yeah, but that could never happen to you. I guess we're just old.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Have to say, I'm not a big fan of helmets either. I wear one when required, but I ride many a mile to be able to throw that helmet in the saddle bag and enjoy the wind in my hair and bugs in my face, and salt, sand, rocks, whatever gets thrown in my face. Come to think of it, why do I like riding without a helmet? I don't know, can't explain it. We all die from something!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Gareth, I started to add to this thread but deleted it but Hambro brought it up and now I'll preach. I was a volunteer fire fighter for a few years. I got tired of taking people out of cars and off the road who would have lived if they had put thier seat belt on or worn a helmet.

You wonder why cops get p*ssed off. There is a lot more to thier lives than giving you tickets that you don't deserve and ruining your fun.

The fancy term in the era of fancy terms is First Responder. That means they get there first to see you torn and battered body, then the Fire Dept. and the EMT's get there.
The people who are alive, if any, are treated and put in the meat wagon and are off to the hospital.

If it is a bike accident, most of the time there is no urgency. The police figure out just what happened from where your body is lying in relation your bike. No hurry you aren't going anywhere. They look for marks on the road or in the tree trunks, telephone poles or the rocks.

Someone has to try and look through you pants for ID. You may have borrowed the bike so the plate doesn't tell them anything for sure. This, as you can imagine isn't a lot of fun. You are not to clean after you trip down the pavement at 30mph. At 60 they have to try and find your pants. Anything over that they may be trying to find enough of you to ID. I've seen it all. I picked up a helmet once and the owner was looking back at me.

Now the measurements are taken and and the nasty part begins. Putting you in the body bag. Always amazed me how the human body explodes on impact. We put you in the ambulance and you go to the hospital or the hearse comes and you go to the morgue and then some poor cop/cops have to go with a doctor to tell your family that you will not be coming home. Ever again.

There will be screaming and crying, screams of no-no and the folks will never have thier life back the way it was.

This Gareth is if your lucky. Don't want to wear that puss boy helmet still? Go down to Wal Mart and buy some Depends. Wear them for a week and use them.
Every time you get on your bike and don't have a helmet on you are one ride closer to wearing one for life.
The head trama facility is full of people who thought that it wasn't going to happen to them. I know. I visited friends there and that was thier attitude. Missed it myself once but I had a helmet on. Make sure when you take that ride without your helmet, that you say goodbye to your loved ones. The one thing we always heard was "we never got to say good bye, I love you".
Gives the family closure of some sort.

When the cop reams you out for not having a helmet as they give you the ticket, well they are just tired of picking people up off the road.

Steve.