Need advice on "front brake hub"

GoldenMotor.com

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have over 10,000 miles on my X-FD :)
always stopped me when I wanted it to
it has been on 4 bikes now, never gave me any worries or felt like it was fading
took it apart a few months ago, (just to look), the shoes still look lke new !!!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
drum brakes last a really long time, and Sturmey Archer's been in business since 1902. it's a quality product.

i have a vintage Atom hub, made in France in the 60's, and i've only used it for a few months, and it shows no sign of wear. i'm running a coaster brake in the rear, and i hardly have to use it anymore. stops me no problems, and, they look cool.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
yo, whats happinin baird, cool hub, quality. thats a nice option. also that niagara site you showed us also sels front weld on v-brake bosses, and also sell a long v- brake incase your running a fender for clearence issues. just another alternative, but the hub is definetly kool.....

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
But $50 for a Sturmey is a good deal!
Very true Venice! Now, if you were to spend another 30 bux, you could get a complete wheel from Husky bikes.

26" FRONT WHEEL WITH DRUM BRAKE HUB: Husky Bicycles

I just put one on my bike and I really like it. I bought the 12 gauge front wheel and the 11 gauge rear wheel, came to around 124 dollars shipped to my door. My bike originally had 14 gauge spokes all around so I feel a lot more comfortable with the larger spokes. Granted, if you are going to paint your wheels or do special work to them and, you can do that work, the $50 S/A hub is a great buy. Either way, depending on your needs/abilities.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
You guys get some good stuff, if i wanted to buy a hub it would cost a fortune to spoke it! i got quoted from 2 different shops $2.50 per spoke + $2.50 labour per spoke x 36 = well.. heaps!

11 or 12 gauge spokes ha never.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
stv's, i did the same thing. found a shop that had 11g. spokes, and the guy wanted $3 a spoke and $1 a nipple. lets see, 72 spokes times 4 bucks? add the rims and hubs, i ain't paying 5oo bucks for a set of wheels...

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I sorta did.
Double wall downhill wheel 80bucks second hand!
single speed coversion kit 30bucks
2 tubes std 1 didnt fit need a presta valve! $20
New tire 50bucks
I aint puttin that rag joint on it so im queuing in line for jims adapter with a steel gear! maybe 150 to me.
1 flippin complete wheel! you can buy a decent bike for that much, whats worse is ive spent that much to now on crap cheap wheels and i weigh nothin wtf, but i dont care ive busted a collar bone and had some spills riding these things partly due to cheap stuff partly due to me being stupid.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
permalink #7,,,the husky wheel site ,,the regular 26 inch wheels w/105g spokes,,are those 10 guage spokes:confused:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
'nother ?,,,the hard(foam fill) tires"no flats"what is the opinion on those??.........#7 permalink husky site

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
The spokes on the Husky wheel with the drum brake are 12 gauge. The spokes on the rear wheel that I purchased are 11 gauge but they also have 12 gauge spoked wheels.

I've never used those "never flat" inserts. I've seen them, just never used them.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Like I said, I've not used them but, I've always thought that either they would be a real bear to install on a clincher type of rim or, they'd have to have some room to get the tire seated properly. Either way, I like the room provided by a deflated tube and the constant, integral pressure provided by an inflated one. I just tried a tube with goo in it for the first time and, oddly enough, it's the first tube that I've had a problem with and it hasn't even made it to the bike yet! I have to check it out yet to see if it's at the valve or somewhere else. I didn't use any tools to install the tire and if it's got a hole already and oozed that goop onto my new wheel, I'm going back to a good ol' high quality, air-only inner tube, just like God intended for a bike!