Short wife wants a bike

GoldenMotor.com

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Hi guys, My wife is 5'1" tall and 115 pounds. She tries to ride my bikes and I have the seats adjusted all the way down but she cant touch the ground. All of my bikes are 26" and she doesn't like the looks of the step through womens bikes, and I don't like the way they look motorized. I'm thinking of buying a mens 24" and see if she can ride it but there isn't much room to mount the engines in those. I personally don't like friction drive bikes and will probably never build one so it's gonna be a HT no matter what. Just have to find the right bike for her. Any suggestions?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I see quite a few used smaller mountain bikes - see if you can find a used Diamond back. You could put some new bars on. I know what you mean, new smaller bikes have very little engine room.

Or shop new for a small cruiser.

"Short wife wants a bike"

If your tall wife wanted a bike as well, that would be easy. Dealing with two wives....maybe....

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
Spun,
keep us up on how the build goes,,,vinnie wants to do a 24" ;)
his feet hit the ground on the stretch laff
will do. its almost done. just install chain and go buy a fuel filter is all thats left to do.
then i'll post pics in the gallery.

HAMBRO: the engine fit in nicely in this frame. no problems.

Hi Everyone,

Get in touch with Mike Simpson [EZ Motorbike] because he has access to 24" wheels with the heavy duty spokes. You can use a 26" frame [cantilever] and install 24" wheels & fenders to lower the seat height.

My Wife is also short [5'] and she is able to ride my 24" EZM proto-type.

Have fun,

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i have a 24" cruiser that i ride. it's a vintage Colson, and there's pics of it all over this site. the motor fit perfectly, which means it was really tight, and i had to work at it to get it in there, but it fills up the space and makes it look like it was supposed to be there.

i've also got a laidback seatpost, so it puts me back behind the bottom bracket when i'm cruising.

i'm 5'7", and when sitting on the bike, i can have both feet flat on the ground with my knees slightly bent. it has the feel of a motorcycle, without being too short.

if this bike was pedal only, it'd be too small for me, at least the way it's all set up, as sitting down and pedaling is kinda uncomfortable, and feels goofy. not enough knee room. but as i just sit on it and let the motor do the work, it's perfect.

it could easily be set up for a smaller rider, and it seems like women have a tendency to ride in a more upright position (i guess they just don't like slouching like we do,) so without a laidback seatpost, the stand-over height would probably be perfect for her.

so, i'm suggesting a 24" cruiser. they're not as popular as a 26, but there's plenty of parts and upgrades available, and vintage stuff seems to go cheaper, since there's not much of a market for it. i've noticed a lot of new 24" cruisers on the market lately, but i don't pay much attention to bikes made after 1950...

(edit) my statement about women's riding position isn't meant to be sexist, just something i noticed. look at most women motorcyclists, and they all sit up straight. same with motorcycle cops...)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A 24" bike is not a difficult build. The 2 stroke kits will fit most of them nicely. The pic below is a 24" Huffy I built for my 13 year old nephew. A lay back seat post would put the rider even a little closer to the ground.
Tom

Attachments

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Heres one..

Don't know how gangsta your wife is. We got these bikes in blue, red, and black. They're small and easy to ride... Plus it can be masked as a second bike for you when shes not riding it. LOL

IMG00005-20091007-1710.jpg IMG00006-20091007-1713.jpg IMG00004-20091007-1709.jpg

Another Addicted Motorbiker!r.ly.
Welcome Hambro,
Justin

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
will do. its almost done. just install chain and go buy a fuel filter is all thats left to do.
then i'll post pics in the gallery.

HAMBRO: the engine fit in nicely in this frame. no problems.

Thanks Spunout, that bike kinda sorta matches the glossy black Micargi Rover that I just ordered for my new build and my wife liked the way it looked. Think we're gonna go with that one. Do you have any photos of your new build completed? By the way everyone else, thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas, they were all awesome solutions.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Showed that bike to my wife Spunout, she loved it. I'll be ordering it soon and building it for her. Thanks brother for all of your help, that bike looks cool as ****.

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
i think there is an easy solution if ur not worried about looks to much get a seat take the pole off so there is just the two bars rest the seat on the bike bend the barst in so they tuch the frame and weld them there that drops about 4inchs