Just Plain Oil

GoldenMotor.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Hey Guys,
I know you all have been through the ringer about synthetic vs. regular oil and all the ratio wars. But I have one burning question about just plain 2-stroke oil. See here's my dilemma. I will be taking my cruiser on a trip through central america and south america. Personally I think the chance of finding synthetic oil in little central american towns is going to be... uh, none. But I'm sure that good old plain 2-stroke oil will be around. So I want to keep my new engine on a steady diet of non-synthetic. Can you go back and forth or would it be better to just keep it steady on one oil, which is more how I'm leaning. I figure these motors get some S*%t thrown in them in china.

Here's some first picts of my cruiser, soon to have 30mm ammo boxes mounted on the side for storage and battery compartment.

Attachments

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I think they were originally designed around plain old 30w motor oil...that being said, I would not use that unless it were necessary. My only advice on the oil is to use one ratio so you can dial in the carb, but I highly doubt changing from synthetic to regular would do any harm. In cars, there was a concern about switching to synthetic after 100,000 miles of regular oil because of potential leaks which had been sealed off by shmutz, and there used to be an issue with break in with synthetic, but I'm thinking that both issues are no longer considered concerns.

On these bikes, I can not see how changing back and forth would be a problem...that being said, might as well find one thing and stick with it. With the dicey quality of oil you may get, I'd break it in with more oil, and keep it with more oil than most people do. Maybe a break in of 20:1 and keep it at 24:1...but that's just a thought.

One thing I know I would do is paint the ammo boxes in some way where they don't look immediately like ammo boxes...being perceived as armed may not be the best idea.

Sounds like an adventure- keep us updated!

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
yes about 25:1 was what I was thinking, then adjust it up or down from performance. And, you know I never thought about the ammo boxes that way, oh well I live dangerously anyway. How else would you describe someone who cyclemotors down the panamerican hwy.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I go back and forth from synthetic to non-synthetic to semi-synthetic all the time, it all depends how fat my wallet is when I need 2-stroke oil.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't know how you feel about the Opti-2 oil but here's an option if you consider using it instead of "Just Plain Oil". Those of us who use it mix it 100:1 so that equates to 32 gallons of fuel you could mix with just one quart of Opti. 2 Quarts, which wouldn't take up much space, would give you 64 gallons of usable fuel. Let's say worst case scenerio fuel economy being 50 miles to the gallon, you'll probably get better than that, you could travel 3200 miles on 2 quarts of Opti-2, or one of the other 100:1 oils available. How far do you plan to ride? I know you said you wanted to stay away from synthetics but Opti isn't really a true syn oil.
Tom

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I don't think you really get what I'm talking about.... good luck finding Opti-2 in fricking Ecuador, Peru, Chile.... First of all I have no desire to put something in my engine that locks out everything else. These choice synthetics are fine for you guys with motorbike hobbies and credit-card accounts. Specialty blends like Opti-2 and AMSOIL don't exist out there in the real world. You know... not the USA.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Hey, didn't mean to sound rude in that last post. Just didn't really want to talk about synthetics. Just plain oil. Heck I'll be lucky to find 2-stroke oil in some countries. And there is no way I could pack enough synthetic to last a 6000+ mile journey. Just not enough room in my bike trailer.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I would certainly not want to pack my oil for this trip...though a spare bottle of Opti-2 would make a compact spare. Opti-2 may be great stuff, but I understand his points. Why the heck would a guy want to carry around 2+ quarts of oil and hope...hope it does not get stolen. Besides, that space and weight where a guy could pack other stuff.

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
I Would Have Personally Given More Thought To The Choice Of Engine For This Excursion
Instead Of Oil. I Think A Small 4 Stroke Would Have Been The Wiser Choice And Forget The
2 Stroke Oil Altogether.
Good Luck To You Tho.
Wc

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Wayne, I think you make a good point, but I'm kind of in love with my 2-stroke. The weight is my thought. Those 4-stroke are heavy. I'm heavy. The trailer I'm carrying is going to be heavy. I'm getting one of the Camp-Rite trailer/tent-cots and it only holds so much weight. Kamp-Rite :: Bicycle Trailers :: Midget Bushtrekka
I wouldn't want to carry more than a quart of oil. Even at 25:1 that's 6+ gallons. I'm getting around 38 to 45 miles to a tank. So a conservative 32 x 2 x 6 = 384 miles out of a quart. I think I can find more oil in that range. Worst case scenario I will have to use regular oil. I've had to do it on an old yamaha two stroke and though it ran like ****, it got me out of the sticks and then ran fine after that.

2-door, you make a good point on how little Opti-2 you have to use, therefore I would get more use per pound of oil, a good weight issue. Something I may just think about. One gallon could last the entire trip. What is your stand on issues going back and forth between regular 2-stroke and Opti-2, I assume it would be to much of a shock and then I would be stuck in Ecuador with no engine, not a good thing. Have you had any experience going back and forth between the two in one engine. Thanks.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
You can switch oils all you want. No problem.

I can hook you up with my friend Widman in Bolivia if you are near.

You can also use Amsoil Saber 100:1. People on this forum are all locked on Opti2, but Amsoil is the original and first 100:1 oil.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Here's what I figured would work with the Opti-2 or AMSOIL's Saber, if I did carry at least 2 gallons with me. At roughly 60 mpg the 200 gallons of gas/oil mix that 2 gallons makes would get me 12,000+ miles. I think that's not bad considering 2 gallons would only weigh around 10-12 pounds. Although that's at least a fifth of my weight load. Can only carry around 65-70 pounds in trailer. Will carry 4 gallons of gas/oil on the trailer in Rotopax 2-gallon containers which should weigh around 30 pounds, that only leaves me around 20 pounds for gear, tools, water, and food, maybe spare enigine???. But still a decent pack. At least the tent is built in, ha ha.

Thanks Pablo, about the AMSOIL and being able to go back and forth between the synthetic and non-synthetic. Actually I have been using Dominator!!! for awhile now with nothing but great results, especially when I run the engine hard in the hot sun. The Saber looks good, but you guys don't make a gallon size??? neither does Opti-2, though. I guess I'll have to weigh the idea of having an oil can to keep my stock in. Also I'll get back to you on you friend in Bolivia, I'll be coming through there on the way back.

Thanks everyone for you input, I can always tell it is a good discussion when just as many questions come up as answers. I'll be updating you guys on when my website comes up, I will be video blogging the entire trip.

Also I got CycleMotor shirts coming out on-line in the next few weeks, check them out...

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
opti 2 sells packets, 12oz bottles, gallon jugs, 5.3 gallon pails, and 55 gallon drums.

besides that...

if i was making a trip like that, i would put all the things i learned watching the A-team and MacGyver to use.

like, what about filling up your handlebars with oil? you can buy rubber bar end plugs, pour it in, and plug 'em up.

that way you'd have, i dunno, with your apehangers, a quart? and 32oz. of opti 2 would get you pretty dang far.

you could do the same with your seat post (unless you wanna save that for hiding your passport, or contraband...)

there's dozens of places you could store/hide stuff in/on your bike.

and i agree on those ammo cans. i've got one and it's painted dried blood maroon, but everyone still recognizes it for what it is.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
You know I just found the price list with the gallon jugs on there. I was going off what I found on Google Shopping results which was mostly packets and 12oz. I never thought about using the handle bars as a liquid container, heck even a reserve gas tank??? probably not. Hmm contraband, I hadn't thought about that one either considering I'm a cancer patient... cough... cough...
I'd like to see the blood red can, that sounds cool. I'm going to most likely paint them black instead of keeping them military green.

Magnarider66

Aug 1, 2009
Florida
I think they were originally designed around plain old 30w motor oil...that being said, I would not use that unless it were necessary. My only advice on the oil is to use one ratio so you can dial in the carb, but I highly doubt changing from synthetic to regular would do any harm. In cars, there was a concern about switching to synthetic after 100,000 miles of regular oil because of potential leaks which had been sealed off by shmutz, and there used to be an issue with break in with synthetic, but I'm thinking that both issues are no longer considered concerns.

On these bikes, I can not see how changing back and forth would be a problem...that being said, might as well find one thing and stick with it. With the dicey quality of oil you may get, I'd break it in with more oil, and keep it with more oil than most people do. Maybe a break in of 20:1 and keep it at 24:1...but that's just a thought.

One thing I know I would do is paint the ammo boxes in some way where they don't look immediately like ammo boxes...being perceived as armed may not be the best idea.

Sounds like an adventure- keep us updated!
laff

your not thinking with yer dipstick jimmy.lol

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
Violence is crazyness. We must all agree with this . It gets crazier when firearms are involved. Have you ever been to a third world country? It is impossible to describe how cheap life is in some countries.

All I'm saying is that I would myself not use ammo boxes. Just too difficult to disguise.

And they convey bad bad bad subliminals.

Don't forget - it's crazyness.

Sorry, fellow members. But one of the secrets of long life is to know when to be scared.

A third world city can be a shocking & sobering experience.

Yeah I'd take the Opti-2 & leave the ammo cases for domestic use.

Best.

Last edited:

sellouma

Jan 8, 2010
New York
opti 2 sells packets, 12oz bottles, gallon jugs, 5.3 gallon pails, and 55 gallon drums.

besides that...

if i was making a trip like that, i would put all the things i learned watching the A-team and MacGyver to use.

like, what about filling up your handlebars with oil? you can buy rubber bar end plugs, pour it in, and plug 'em up.

that way you'd have, i dunno, with your apehangers, a quart? and 32oz. of opti 2 would get you pretty dang far.

you could do the same with your seat post (unless you wanna save that for hiding your passport, or contraband...)

there's dozens of places you could store/hide stuff in/on your bike.

and i agree on those ammo cans. i've got one and it's painted dried blood maroon, but everyone still recognizes it for what it is.
hahahahahaha,man!!! laff