i am debating between friction or chain
the friction system looks so simple and clean to me
what would you guys say are the pros and cons of each
thanks, Craig

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Re: FRICTION DRIVE or CHAIN DRIVE-WHATS BEST

Friction drives are awesome for their simplicity and ease of mounting, but the darkside is a loss of efficiency and excessive tire wear.

The chain drives while a bit more work to mount properly are the most efficient, they also don't suffer from "slippage" should it be raining/snowing.

Personally - I prefer a mid-engine, in-frame, chain-drive as I think it the best of all (inc. weight and balance), while it's more of an effort to convert a bicycle - there's a reason motorcycles have their engine where they do ;) Having said that - I've had all of the above and each had advantages/disadvantages, every build is a compromise depending on what you want... and every last dang one of 'em was a blast to ride :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Diamond, welcome. I couldn't agree more with what BA stated. ....and last line is the absolute truth.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have a friction drive and in wet conditions it won't go just slips. My next build is chain drive. That said a friction drive works well, mine has no excessive tire wear. I think the tire will last more than 1000 miles. And if you use a weedeater engine it can be one of the least expensive builds out there. It is your choice and you will have fun with whatever you build.
Elmo

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
I "Ditto"everthing Elmo says. I haven't had to do it yet but changing a flat rear tire has got to be alot easier on a friction drive. Don't go friction if you intend to ride on wet hills.