Just ordered my kit

GoldenMotor.com

jimmykicker

Jul 28, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Well, after almost two years of sitting on the fence, I decided to buy a kit. Been spending a lot of time at the beach at Gulf Shores and wanted something I could scoot around on inexpensively that I could slap on my bike rack to carry....this was the most logical solution.

Got this

http://www.gasbike.net/product_51_detailed.html

I have an old donor cruiser bike I got for free a couple of years ago. I am going to start working on it as soon as it shows. Will post pix! Bike is kinda ruff, so it may just be on there temporarily till I can get something better. I actually have an old 10 speed lying about. What are y'all's thoughts on using an old school 27" 10 speed from the 70s? It is in great shape and wild green color. Really a chick bike, but I don't care. Fully functional except needs tires and tubes. I will post some pix of the potential donors.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
First of all hope all works out well for you on the purchase from gasbike.net.

Second: I think the old 70's 10 speed will be a good candidate for a build if you make sure the wheel spokes are very good and you put some high quality tires and tube with the deal, skinny tires dont take a hard hit like the wider tires do so I would keep that in mind and not hit serious bumps at high speed.

the older bike frame is probably better and stronger than many of the newer frame people are using so I think you should be good there.

Best wishes and get us some pics when you can.
map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If by "chick bike" you mean it is a girl's bike, dropped downtube, you might find mounting an engine a bit of a challamge. It can and has been done but it takes some fabrication so be prepared. Fuel tank location must be considered as well as the front engine mount.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

jimmykicker

Jul 28, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Her are the candidates. Fairly new Newport cruiser. Would look nice on this bike, but it is rusty from the Gulf Coast weather where I rescued it from a junkpile. Just needs bearings on the rear wheels...Probably could stand tires and tubes although they hold air. Don't like the idea of the coaster brakes should I have to quickly stop. I suppose I could add them, but that might be just stupid and not cost effective.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Next candidate is this green Schwinn I bought for parts to fix up my old Sears Free Spirit which is too nice a bike to use for parts. Cables, tires and tubes would fix it just fine. I think as you guys said that it might be kind of dangerous with the skinny tires on it on rough roads at full speed. I could fabricate an upper bar to support the gas tank.

This is my regular rider. I think it is the best candidate. Good brakes, suspension on the front, 21 speeds which would be nice should I break down somewhere vs the cruiser single speed. Alabama hills were not built for single speed cruisers....except at the beach.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

jimmykicker

Jul 28, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Agreed it would look really nice on the old Raleigh which is a good quality bike. But by the time I retrofit it for proper brakes, replace the bearings in the rear wheel and put tires and tubes in it, it may be cost prohibitive...not to mention it needs painting too or the fact it has no suspension on it and it will ride rough as $h1t. For general riding the modern schwinn may be best. Heck...if this goes well, I have a Bolens weed whacker with a broken trimmer shaft (motor is good)I am considering converting...might put that on the greenie or convert it to an el cheapo outboard motor.