Any parts missing?

GoldenMotor.com

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Im looking at a SBP shift kit for my cruiser. I want to get a few spares to keep in the tool box just in case. does anyone recommend anything else to add?? the bike has a one piece crank.

being in Australia, shipping time is a big draw back with ordering when needed. so I like to keep a small stock.

* 2 Stroke HD Shifter Kit
- Seat Tube Diameter 1 inch

Chainring Hardware
Clutch Cover
Bottom Bracket Cartridge 131.5 Tool (splined)
Freewheel Oil
Bottom Bracket Conversion Kit
Crank Dust Caps
Keys 3/16 x 3/16 x 3/4 inch
HD Freewheel Removal Tool
Set Screws 1/4-20 x 1/2

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
sounds like you've got it covered. I know they dont have the shift kits, but have you checked out rock solid engines? they are based in australia.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
sure do.

I have purchased some stuff off them before. gaskets, woodruff keys, etc

it was more of the shift kit spares, was after.

i didn't want to order the kit and then go.. oh trucker, i need this aswel.

Wally

Dec 25, 2011
South Africa
You know! There is nothing extra I needed for the SBP shift kit! Well, I would try and get some grub screws I presume you know what they are :) Them allen (alan) screws what holds gears on the shaft :)

(Later) Ah! I see you do have "Set screws" on your list. Are they for the gears?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the company you bought your shift kit from is honest and reputable, I'd call them and ask what they recommend for spares. If they're good folks they'll tell you what they suggest for parts to keep on hand. Obviously, if you've ridden this bike any and had any problems you already know where the weak spots are. Go from there.
Good luck.

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You know! There is nothing extra I needed for the SBP shift kit! Well, I would try and get some grub screws I presume you know what they are :) Them allen (alan) screws what holds gears on the shaft :)
If you take some brake clean to remove packing grease on and where those screws go to lock the gears on the Jshaft and use a drop of blue lock tight you will have better luck.

Wally

Dec 25, 2011
South Africa
What packing grease? I didn't see any. :) Yes, I do use lock tight but that doesn't stop having butter fingers and the screws rolling under the work bench.

Wally

Dec 25, 2011
South Africa
BTW 2door ! The OP does say SBP and SBP is VERY reputable, They gave me a credit for a returned kit. My post office screwed up and returned a kit as unclaimed.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
What packing grease? I didn't see any. :) Yes, I do use lock tight but that doesn't stop having butter fingers and the screws rolling under the work bench.
If they did not have some kind of light coat of oil on those gears they would rust during shipping or what ever. http://www.google.com/search?q=pack...fficial&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

It was wrote some where in the instruction manual from SBP do clean this section up where the little Allen bolt goes for lock tight. That is all I meant to mention as lock tight does better when applied to cleaned surfaces. ..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
And torquing needs lubrication :) Does that mean lock tight is slippery enough until set?
Yes it is slippery enough when assembling. Use blue lock tight on your tiny allen's..

Lock Tight is a common practice in machinery.

I have installed lock tight on certain bolts on intake plenums in automobile engines etc. As lock tight serves as a anaerobic sealer too. Where other wise there would be a vacuum leak? Lots of bolts to motors need to be torque wrenched with accurate precision. Pretty commen practice in the engine world. On rear ends in the pumpkin area. On manual clutch bolts the list goes on.

When I reassemble something like a fragile warp able aluminum intake plenum on today's latest designs. . I will take the bolts that had the lock tight to such as a bench grinder that has a wire brush wheel on it. Clean up my bolts that need it and repeat. As per the repair manual instructions. It works!