Rear Gas Tank Mount Idea

GoldenMotor.com

RoverGT

Feb 23, 2012
Atlanta
Just wanted to get your thoughts on my rear mounted gas tank. I used the stock tank from a china girl kit, a Schwinn rear rack from Wal-Mart that attached to the seat post, and a drill press. The rear rack has an aluminum metal plate that is just the right width to drill out and put the tank studs through to bolt it on securely.

I've seen on here where people build tanks out of a can of pork n' beans. Mines not that inventive, but it sure cleans up the look of the bike in my personal opinion. I sure would like to know where to get cheap filler tubes and caps to make something like that. All I can find are really expensive ones ($80+).

Have a nice day.

Attachments

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
RoverGT: If you want to build a gas tank from scratch, you could check out the "old iron" flea markets for some old gas tanks from old engines. For example; in May every year in Portland, IN, there is a 5 day swap meet for old iron. If it isn't rusty, it is probably not here! We have picked up some good buys on parts, such as gas tanks, for our old antique gas engine collection. I have seen some nice round tanks there that would be suitable for your rear mounting and that would include the gas cap, off course, and maybe even a fuel shut off. Look around such places this summer and you might just find something you will find to be perfect! Happy hunting, BMF

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Just wanted to get your thoughts on my rear mounted gas tank. I used the stock tank from a china girl kit, a Schwinn rear rack from Wal-Mart that attached to the seat post, and a drill press. The rear rack has an aluminum metal plate that is just the right width to drill out and put the tank studs through to bolt it on securely.

I've seen on here where people build tanks out of a can of pork n' beans. Mines not that inventive, but it sure cleans up the look of the bike in my personal opinion. I sure would like to know where to get cheap filler tubes and caps to make something like that. All I can find are really expensive ones ($80+).

Have a nice day.
I WONDER HOW IT WOULD LOOK IF You fabricated or bought a green ammo box & placed it around the tank to make it look more military if you wanted, How do you think that might look? P.S. Ive always liked the Military bikes & I absolutely love the old original double bar frames/ bikes . Just wish I could find one out in some old barn some place and not have to pay out the backside for one >

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I mounted my tank that way till I finally found one of these.....

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/img0700dc.jpg/]
[/URL]

it usd to look like this.....

dnut

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal

Have a nice day.
Hello, good friend if you want my opinion then there simply will! I like this look, I do not like to see the tanks in front of the frame when it comes to a motor bike, I like to see them in the back, this tank is very Chinese, but if a friend get a scrap tank gasoline engine to take water or a water reservoir of the circuit referigeração a car is also very good, and safer than the Chinese tank, stay well
Jose Pinto

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Chris, I'ts a Grubee tank/rack I believe. The rack and tank are one in the same and sold by a few venders on this site......rarely it seems. The tank holds 2.5ltrs. of fuel and is a very sturdy functional rack as well. It even has internal baffels as well.......keeps gas from sloshing around.

If you happen upon any of these rack/tanks, please let me know as I really like them.

dnut

Last edited:

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
Hey Chris, I'ts a Grubee tank/rack I believe. The rack and tank are one in the same and sold by a few venders on this site......rarely it seems. The tank holds 2.5ltrs. of fuel and is a very sturdy functional rack as well. It even has internal baffels as well.......keeps gas from sloshing around.

If you happen upon any of these rack/tanks, please let me know as I really like them.

dnut
Scotto I can get you two of them right now!!!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Which one did you buy? I like that.

I was thinking of getting a pocketbike tank and doing something with it to mount in on a Wald rear rack. The trash can tanks look awesome to kids, but the charm has worn off, for me. And I'm tired of hitting my knees on it. haha

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I thought about using a coolant reservoir tank as well. A new one would likely be very good, but a used one from a junkyard might be dry-rotted because it is subject to chemicals and high heat from the engine bay. It might pay to look in junkyards though for a fresh one. It should have at least a couple solid mounting tabs as well.

Hello, good friend if you want my opinion then there simply will! I like this look, I do not like to see the tanks in front of the frame when it comes to a motor bike, I like to see them in the back, this tank is very Chinese, but if a friend get a scrap tank gasoline engine to take water or a water reservoir of the circuit referigeração a car is also very good, and safer than the Chinese tank, stay well
Jose Pinto

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Late '80s Jeep Cherokees had a coolant recovery tank that looked like a small motorcycle fuel tank. Maybe one of those would be workable. The eBay auction I snagged the pic from said 1984-1990 with 4.0L inline 6 cylinder.

MHF

Attachments