Pull Start / Centrifical Clutch ???

GoldenMotor.com

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Ive got two questions first one ive seen on ebay a pull start for the 2 stroke engines that bolts over the magneto.

1. has anyone purchased one and does it work????
2. do they make a centrifical clutch for the two strokes ive tried searchin the site and cant find a thread . and if so , again, has anyone purchased one and does it work.

planing my next build . yes another stingray but its will be a trike conversion. with a wood bed on it. as always your help is need and im sure you will deliver

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
oscar, sounds interesting. looking foward to pictures as you build. getting to be more and more motorcycle trikes around here. one of my buddies recently bought a bolt on kit, 3 wheels in the rear. still driven by regular back tire.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
oscar, sounds interesting. looking foward to pictures as you build. getting to be more and more motorcycle trikes around here. one of my buddies recently bought a bolt on kit, 3 wheels in the rear. still driven by regular back tire.
so he put training wheels on rotfl just joking any pics looking for ideas

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Ive got two questions first one ive seen on ebay a pull start for the 2 stroke engines that bolts over the magneto.

1. has anyone purchased one and does it work????
2. do they make a centrifical clutch for the two strokes ive tried searchin the site and cant find a thread . and if so , again, has anyone purchased one and does it work.

planing my next build . yes another stingray but its will be a trike conversion. with a wood bed on it. as always your help is need and im sure you will deliver
I've never used the pull start but I hear it works great....the only centrifugal clutch that I know of comes from Livefast...dont know if you could just mount it to a non-centrifugal motor. I think for a extra $50.00 you can get the centrifugal clutch with your kit.

Livefast Motors: Bike Motors - Motors

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Livefast also sells the pull start kit for $25.00 including shipping. If you want to keep your pedals you will have to bend the pedal crank for clearance. YES they work and will save you miles of pedaling with a motor that's hard to start. Pull start kit/Livefast = smile. Happy Trails Walter F.

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi; i have a occ chopper. i was looking at it for a trike. my plan is to cut two frames at the start of rearwheel frames, welding in the cage, removing the seat and installing a recumbent seat with a full tilt 49cc pull start mini racer motor and pipe. is this sort of what you are thinking? mitch

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
I purchased the pull start kit from boygofast on ebay. It's not the right one. I kept it though just in case I get an engine that it will fit on. One more thing for the parts box.

If you do decide to bend your cranks, make sure your pedals stay true to the angle of your bend. Your pedals are at 90 deg to your crank. Bending the crank will make your pedal lopsided when you decide to use it. I would just purchase wider cranks...but that's just me.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
hi; i have a occ chopper. i was looking at it for a trike. my plan is to cut two frames at the start of rearwheel frames, welding in the cage, removing the seat and installing a recumbent seat with a full tilt 49cc pull start mini racer motor and pipe. is this sort of what you are thinking? mitch
me and my brother ( he wants a motor bike now) are gonna take an old sting-ray bicycle cram another engine in it and buy a live axle trike kit and put a wooden bed on the rear to hide the fuel tank . but he wants an ungodly high count sprocket on it for wheelies:rolleyes: so well see how it goes

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
If you don't mind doin it the old way, just put a rope pulley on the flywheel side and loop the rope around the handlebar to carry. Just be careful not to whip it into your eye when starting. THE HANDLE IS GREAT FOR DOGS TOO. :D
Keith (trackfodder) Williams

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
TrackFodder, that is not a bad idea at all! HHMmmmmmmm....

With the chinagirls/hts, You need the mechanical clutch to start the motor and to disengage it when stopped at say a stop light or what have you. In wanting to use a CVT, it would have neutral but no way to start it. Simple, tried and true. Will have to open up the housing tomorrow and see if there is room. Would be mighty tight though.

Maybe off the forward shaft on the CVT? Run the shaft from the left side, between the rear wheel and the seat post to the right side and mount a pull start just below the seat so as to allow the peddles to clear....

Sounding good in my sleep deprived lil brain, what am I missing?

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Oscar, Had Several Days Of Computor Locking Up. It Seems Ok For Now. Fairracing Down Sized The Trike Picture. Will Post It Now. It ShowS Very Little. Yesterday He Told Me The Wemen Ask More About It Than The Guys. They May Think It Looks Safer ! ?? This Is No Help To You, BUT WILL POST IT. Did Not Know They Made A Kit Like This Before Last Month. HE IS VERY HAPPY WITH IT. RON

Attachments

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
If you don't mind doin it the old way, just put a rope pulley on the flywheel side and loop the rope around the handlebar to carry. Just be careful not to whip it into your eye when starting. THE HANDLE IS GREAT FOR DOGS TOO. :D
Good idea. I'd like to try that. Could you please provide more details?

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
TrackFodder, that is not a bad idea at all! HHMmmmmmmm....

With the chinagirls/hts, You need the mechanical clutch to start the motor and to disengage it when stopped at say a stop light or what have you. In wanting to use a CVT, it would have neutral but no way to start it. Simple, tried and true. Will have to open up the housing tomorrow and see if there is room. Would be mighty tight though.

Maybe off the forward shaft on the CVT? Run the shaft from the left side, between the rear wheel and the seat post to the right side and mount a pull start just below the seat so as to allow the peddles to clear....

Sounding good in my sleep deprived lil brain, what am I missing?
I KNOW IVE SEEN THE PULL STARTS THAT REPLACE THE MAGNETO COVER. AND I SWEAR FOR THE LIFE OF ME IVE SEEN A HT WITH AND ENLANGED CLUTCH COVER , LIKE THERE MAY HAVE BEEN A CENTRUFIGAL CLUTCH UNDER THE COVER............MAYBE IT WAS A DREAM . SO YOU COULD PULL START IT CUZ ITS IN NEUTRAL UNLESS YOU GIVE IT GAS. YOU WOULD JUST NEED A KILL SWITCHTHAT WORKS TO STOP ENGINE. OR REACH DOWN AND TURN THE IDLE SCREW IN BUT KILL SWITCH WOULD BE EASIER.

Dave W

Oct 1, 2008
I have the moter with centrifigal cluth and pull start. I'm installing on a Schwinn Jaguar. The moter is too wide for the pedal crank on both sides.
Somewhere I saw pictures of a crank cut and welded on both sides. I cannot find it now. Can anyone help?

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
Can you torch an "S" into the crank to buy your clearance? alternatively, replace the crank with a straight shaft pin-on lever type, lengthen the ends, clip the peddle-side lever to carry the sprocket only, and mount 2 levers for peddling outboard

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I have the moter with centrifigal cluth and pull start. I'm installing on a Schwinn Jaguar. The moter is too wide for the pedal crank on both sides.
Somewhere I saw pictures of a crank cut and welded on both sides. I cannot find it now. Can anyone help?
Don't know about cut & welded but livefastmotors.com under installation instructions for pull start kit the is a diagram of how to bend for clearance, might help. Happy trails Walter F.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've seen centrifugal clutch kits too on ebay. Some are marketed as 'duel start'. I know that to start a centrifugal clutch you need a pull starter...but maybe the duel start kits can be pedal/pop clutch started as well. I would assume this is through the use of a locking clutch? I see these kinds of kits on the grubee website. Grubee Inc. It's under the skyhawk engine kits. Has anyone here used one of these?