what about a horn

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I wonder what the amp draw is for one of those. I don't want to do the horn relay thing. Just do a direct pull from a 4amphr sealed lead acid battery. I really do need a horn the bell cant be heard over the engine and cars tend to ignore me. I was thinking maybe moped horn.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've seen loud air horns that you can refill with your air compresser. I'll try to search on the next tommarrow.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
They have those on ebay. The ones i saw are too large for my little bike the bottle looks like a coke bottle.

I have the battery already on so I would prefer to go with a small electric horn.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I bought a vespa 6volt moped horn. When it arrives I get to try to make it work off my sla battery. Cost me 7bucks including shipping. I went this route because i was afraid the car horn would require more amps. There is a reason they use relays on those things they throw the whole batter load at it.

I was probably wrong but then again this might be the same way.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a small 6volt attached to the sissy. I had it left over from the days of the studio lights. figured i might as well use it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay I got the horn in and of course it wont work. Let's see if anyone knows what to do. I hit it with six volts four amps from the battery and it clicks but wont beep. I think it isn't vibrating. I suppose the diaphram is frozen. I have an email off to the guy who sold it to me. I want to see if he tested it before he shipped it to me. If he did, I'll find out what he used to test it. Maybe I don't have enough power for it to vibrate.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Hi Deacon,

Probably not enough voltage. You might try connecting two 6 volt batteries in a series circuit to produce 12 volts (if you have an extra one lying around).

or....

Does the horn have an adjustment screw on the back of the housing? I've had similiar issues with some vintage horns...in which the diagragm had to be set just right in order for it to vibrate loudly.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hi Deacon,

Probably not enough voltage. You might try connecting two 6 volt batteries in a series circuit to produce 12 volts (if you have an extra one lying around).

or....

Does the horn have an adjustment screw on the back of the housing? I've had similiar issues with some vintage horns...in which the diagragm had to be set just right in order for it to vibrate loudly.
I tried it on a 12 volt 180 amp battery same click nothing more. No adjustments at all. It's off a six volt vespa. I think it is probably locked up. Just as soon as I hear from him I'm either going to send it back or open it. I have no idea what is inside but I'll know in a couple of days I expect.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you decide to buy a motorcycle horn I should warn you. You probably need to get one from a motorcycle that had a battery. There are two kinds of horns AC and DC from motorbikes.

The DC you can run from a recharge battery, but the ac will only run off the engine and I don't think ours would pull one, but I might check to see just for the heck of it.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
I don't think any horn will work off the white wire but I might be wrong the lights work it pretty hard. I think one of the handheld air horns would be the way to go and you got me to thinking I could seal off part of my frame and make a small air bottle out of it to power an air horn but then again I'm lazy and will just yell and cuss out how ever gets in my way. rotfl
good luck my friend on your horn quest. You know the handlebars would be a good choice for the air bottle My Harley's handlebars serve as an air reservoir for the front shocks. So there I go.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm thinking a dozen hand grenades to warn people who pull out in front of me. Only problem with that is because of the shrapnel blow back, I would probably only need one.