Question about sound dampening

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've read about using a mouse pad to dampen gear noise on the primary side. My question is do you place the mouse pad on the inside of the cover, or the outside?

Also is it usually possible to remove the cover and reuse the gasket, or should you plan on replacing the gasket?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i dunno about the mouse pad, if it would fit inside, you could probably glue it in there. it might rub though.

the best thing i've found, and use on all my bikes, is Plasti-dip spray paint. you can get it at Ace. it's the same stuff that comes in a can you dip tool handles into. just spray it on thick inside the cover, let it dry, and it cuts down most of the noise.

as for the gasket, i reuse mine. i've had the cover off 50 times and i'm still on the same gasket. it actually doesn't really do anything important anyway. there's no fluids inside and if the cover's tight it's not gonna get saturated with water, so it's pretty much useless. i mean, if you were swamp-doggin' it through 3 foot puddles it might be a good idea to have it, but otherwise...

(edit) i'm not recommending you run it without a gasket, i'm just sayin..

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
i dunno about the mouse pad, if it would fit inside, you could probably glue it in there. it might rub though.

the best thing i've found, and use on all my bikes, is Plasti-dip spray paint. you can get it at Ace. it's the same stuff that comes in a can you dip tool handles into. just spray it on thick inside the cover, let it dry, and it cuts down most of the noise.

as for the gasket, i reuse mine. i've had the cover off 50 times and i'm still on the same gasket. it actually doesn't really do anything important anyway. there's no fluids inside and if the cover's tight it's not gonna get saturated with water, so it's pretty much useless. i mean, if you were swamp-doggin' it through 3 foot puddles it might be a good idea to have it, but otherwise...

Thanks for the reply. As a matter of fact I was just using some of the spray stuff you're talking about last week. That sounds like a good idea that I'll give a try. I been wanting to open it up to lube the crank gear anyway.

yendorrodney88

May 5, 2010
campbelltown nsw australia
Thanks for the reply. As a matter of fact I was just using some of the spray stuff you're talking about last week. That sounds like a good idea that I'll give a try. I been wanting to open it up to lube the crank gear anyway.
How ya goin biknut,you can use just plain ol cardboard,I have used a piece of the box my kit came in,take your cover off and trace around it and cut it slightly larger than what you traced,about 1/8 to 1/4 inch then push it in firmly,i haven't had any problems and does reduce noise and didn't use any glue,enjoy your rides....yendorrodney88

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
How ya goin biknut,you can use just plain ol cardboard,I have used a piece of the box my kit came in,take your cover off and trace around it and cut it slightly larger than what you traced,about 1/8 to 1/4 inch then push it in firmly,i haven't had any problems and does reduce noise and didn't use any glue,enjoy your rides....yendorrodney88
Thanks yendorrodney, that's a good tip. I like the idea of the plasti dip too and i have a can of it so I'll try that first. If that's not good enough I'll try some cardboard in there too.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

This turned out to be a good mod. I sprayed 2 coats of palsti spray on the inside of the cover. Today when I went for a ride the difference was noticeable. Not silent or anything like that but noticeable. It went from way loud to just some noise.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
no matter what you use, there's always gonna be some noise. i've used cork gasket material, pink rubber gasket material, rubberized undercoating, and finally, Plasti-dip.

i think the cork and rubber were a bit quieter, but not by much.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I was screwing around one night and tried this (photo). First I am shocked that after all my riding they are still on and surprised it has made the motor a little more quiet.

Just fuel line hose that I trimmed and notched to fit in between the fins.

Attachments

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I'm not very creative so I used guess what......sound deadening board glued inside the cover. Had to thin it down some. At least now I can hear the exhaust.