Bike Bug

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Hi guys, i am now missing my bike bug, witch i had to give away when we moved. at the bikebug.net they are $500! is there a source were i can get em for cheaper?

Sam

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Is that just a friction drive on the front? Couldn't you just build one alot cheaper? Like from the BMP ad on the left here...

(sorry other vendors, bmp specifically mentions friction drives in their ad) :)

Good luck getting it for a buck! I hope his reserve isn't past $25 if it isn't running :oops:

gl.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sorry Sam - if you've had a Bike Bug bfore, then yer far more experienced than I lol this is my first and I'm only just starting to learn about it :)

Thing about bikebug.net's $400 price tag is they're marking up for both the retail value, but sentimental as well - "classics" always cost more regardless of what it may be... it also seems as if those guys are fabricating new replacement parts of their own design and offering rebuilt "like new" motors... which is sweet, 'cause I'm prolly gonna need some parts at some point and the prices on those ain't bad at all :D

If you'd like - I can move this to Swap and Shop and tack on "Wanted" to the title, perhaps one of our members has one forgotten and would be willing to sell, you've already started the ebay search I see - but there's a chance that if ya call bikebug.net they may have used ones running but not rebuilt for less - stuff like that often never makes it to a webpage *shrug*

Last but not least - it was quite generous of you to give a friend yer Bike Bug and I commend ya for it w/o a doubt - but I'd keep in touch in case they decide not to use it, tire of it, or w/e. While a sweet, simple setup it's not exactly a performance monster lol, they may decide to move on to bigger & faster and need some pennies fer performance parts or somethin' lol

killer, (I hope the ebay guy doesn't read this lol) even if it's not running, it's still jus' a simple two stroke & quite easy to rebuild - fortunately it seems parts are readily available and even reproduced, which ofc means there's quite some demand for these vintage engines. While ofc yer right, you can prolly get a modern friction drive new for the same or less - yer overlooking the marketable "groovy factor" of old engines...

TBH (and no offense to anyone) I'm really a chain drive junkie myself, I'd not even have a friction drive if it weren't for said "groovy factor" ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
DOC yer the man (^)

Gawd - I love this forum lol, no doubt as I was typing "perhaps one of our members has one" ya posted that heh dance1

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
And Sam, I still have some parts from my Bikebug days.. transmissions, motor cores, frame parts, etc. If you need something, I might be able to help you. NO more complete motors though...
Another way to find these on ebay is to look for Tas, Free Spirit, Aquabug... same Tanaka motor under different labels. I'd go with Doc before an ebay seller. They almost never run after they've been sitting unused. If you need a new drive wheel I can show you how to make one. These are fun for flatland cruising. As Barely said, they aren't exactly powerhouses. If you come to a hill, plan to pedal. But hey, you're a kid so you're supposed to pedal.
SB

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Go to Ebay, search "Adult tricycle", there are 2 older trikes with Bike bug motors already installed, I think 1 of them is $250.00 with reasonable shipping, forgot about the other, sorry, no links, I was all over Ebay yesterday.
Mac

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I would have taken it off my bike and tried to hide it in my suitcase. You only need one pair of socks and underwear right? :D