Need help with first build

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The 2x4 will work fine. If you have a threaded drive shaft that accepts the peg you are way ahead. most of the 31cc weed whackers are ryobi that does have that. The 25cc craftsman i am running has a 5x16 threaded drive shaft. You can still use the bolt on type foot peg you just need a 5x16 fine thread nut and lock washer.

You will need to adjust your tension. I would use a solid tie down from bike finder supports if you have them. If you work out a way to tie the engine on both sides of the wheel it will cause less stress on the drive shaft bearing I think.

You Don't really need a kill switch I don't think. If you have the right amount of tension on the drive wheel, the motor will just shut down when you get below four miles an hour. If you have to shut down in an emergency just put the setting to full choke that will kill the engine. If you have to while testing.

Unsolved Rubix

Jun 22, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks, Yea I actualy got it mounted pretty securely, I got the foot peg on by inserting it over and using a nut I had to secure it down. Tension has been my main issue I am trying to fix...but now I have a whole new problem. I spaced out all of my engineering brain earlier and I realized I mounted the dang thing on the wrong side. Which lead to me cursing almost throwing my flashlight.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks, Yea I actualy got it mounted pretty securely, I got the foot peg on by inserting it over and using a nut I had to secure it down. Tension has been my main issue I am trying to fix...but now I have a whole new problem. I spaced out all of my engineering brain earlier and I realized I mounted the dang thing on the wrong side. Which lead to me cursing almost throwing my flashlight.
Yes it helps to know which way your engine turns. I have done that as well but fortunately it is a mistake you make only once. Tension is best handled with either a heavy spring or a strip of metal bolted to you engine platform and then to the frame at the axle housing. There are a couple of 1/4 inch holes there for fender supports ext. I have come to the conclusion that I like them metal from a fender support for tension. If you use one on either side they keep the engine straight with tension as well. I think the hanging engine would be hard on the drive shaft bearing.

Good luck.

PS you got lucky if you could bolt the ped to the drive shaft. Make sure it is good and tight use a good lock washer cause they tend to come off at the worst times.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Me too and i have a 33 cc monster chainsaw engine to tie down. I may take my weed eater bike apart to get the needed bars and shelf brackets. Either that or make a trip to the hardware store but only after I have a complete parts list. I make far too many trips there.

Good luck with your build.

Unsolved Rubix

Jun 22, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
OMG.... I got it to work. I will have to do a carb adjustment because it did lack power. But I just went with a real basic mount and It actually worked haha. Now time to adjust it and go for another ride. Pics will be up later tonight.