Has anyone tried these thumb throttles?

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
It will fit many standard handlebars 7/8 to be exact.Just not sure about the threading for the throttle cable itself..

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
No but i totally like the idea you should try it out and let us know

.bf.
Trying to get someone else to make sure it is ok before you buy it? lol....
I dont like the idea of a thumb throttle(never liked them on 3 wheelers)or electric bikes....Stick with the cool motorcycle twist throttle.....

John-John.shft.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
How bout you let me know how it works lol;) I would but don't have the extra $$ for something that don't work.

The twist throttle is decent I must say but..I ride at WOT through high traffic and now with winter coming riding through snow,ice etc I need something more 'reliable' from hand slippage.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I dont care forthe thumb throttle on my 4-wheeler, the twist throttle is the way to go!!!

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
I've got one and LOVE it. It feels much more solid than the cheap plastic twist throttles.
I think I posted some info on another thread but a few bits of advice. 1) IDK what type of threaded adapter is supposed to be used to attach to the housing and neither did the vendor. You will need to grind it a bit to get a traditional bike barrel adjuster to seat in there. Just use a dremel and check the work. 2) you will need to make a new throttle cable. I used a brake cable and followed Norman's post. Once the cable is hooked into the thumb throttle, I made an end for the slide with 49mm of cable from end sheathing to end of formed end.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
The vendor selling these on Ebay said they are threaded but didn't say the size of thread..I went ahead and ordered one anyways :D I'll let ya guys know how it goes!

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
It will be threaded....but for what is the question. I ground out about 1/2 of the "threads" to get a barrel adjuster to press fit when the two pieces are clamped. Any throttle length adjustment can be done at the carb.

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
anybody know if the bicycle brake handle has any clearance issues when used with the thumb throttle..... by the way supposedly twist throttles are mostly for english speaking countries... asians use the thumb throttles

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
anybody know if the bicycle brake handle has any clearance issues when used with the thumb throttle..... by the way supposedly twist throttles are mostly for english speaking countries... asians use the thumb throttles
Yes you will need to adjust the brake handle or move for the clearance of a thumb throttle.By the way I'm not Asian and I love my new thumb throttle! Here is the one I purchased a week ago Throttle Thumb Assembly ATV/Quad/Pit Bike 50 110CC TT01:eBay Motors (item 390090127126 end time Jan-01-10 18:19:38 PST)

Last edited:

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
nice.... im always scared my twist throttle will break and slide off causing me to crash when riding off road or in rough conditions, bumps, sudden stops, etc etc etc. grubee makes a flipper throttle but i have not found one for sale yet..... but yeah im considering purchasing the same type of throttle you did..... but one uestion.. with that throttle you have is it still possible to pull your brake lever until it bottoms out and touches the handle bar?? i brake brake cables otherwise.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
nice.... im always scared my twist throttle will break and slide off causing me to crash when riding off road or in rough conditions, bumps, sudden stops, etc etc etc. grubee makes a flipper throttle but i have not found one for sale yet..... but yeah im considering purchasing the same type of throttle you did..... but one uestion.. with that throttle you have is it still possible to pull your brake lever until it bottoms out and touches the handle bar?? i brake brake cables otherwise.
With my setup (Cruiser Handlebars) I had to move the brake lever over quite far to the left of the handlebars to clear the throttle casing and using it as a E-Brake.You can shorten your handlebar grips (if need to be) for the room,I didn't because it wouldn't match up with the other side..

If you decide to use the stock metal tenisoner fitting that goes into the throttle you will mostly likely have to make a modification to fit properly into the throttle housing.Other than that..It fits nice,looks good and is a great upgrade to any MB if that is your choice of throttle :D

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
how about if you moved the throttle to the other side of the brake lever???? ohhh and a thought just popped into mind.. a wonder if a twist shifter could be used as a throttle... would it allow the carb to be opend up all the way??? hmmmm a single twist shifter wouldnt look right on a cruisers handlebars

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
The throttle has a very nice response,easy,no slipping and doesn't wear out the thumb.

Rot,It depends how your handlebars are setup,how much room etc.Main thing is adjusting for easy access and control..You could use a shifter but you'd have to grind a little off the cable end for a proper fit inside the shifter mechanism or make your own with a strong gear cable.