48cc ban?

GoldenMotor.com

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
yep bikes powered by gas engines have just recently been banned in Queensland but bikes with electric motors are still allowed as long as the output is under 200watts:

Motorised foot scooters and motorised bicycles

You can still ride them here in NSW if you modify the output of the cdi. I did it myself once by intalling a resistor between the cdi and spark plug for a person who was extra cautious and then checked it on a dyno. Although it ran coughing and sputtering it still dyno'd at 197 watts
come on dude i dyno cars for a living 197watts?

Im done.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
last time I was stopped was 2 and half years ago and all the cop said to me was that because the bike had a motor it could be classified as a motorcycle, but nothing about licensing or registration. I just said that I did my research with rta, and told em facts about how rta allows motorised bikes with petrol engines under 200 watts. I asked em if I could still ride it and they said to keep checking with legislation because its changing all the time. And this was like over 2 years ago. If it was that illegal, we wouldnt be ridin our bikes full stop.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
We had a guy in the Combustion Chamber who implied all the smart people in that part of the world lived in NZ with him.
Having heard more statements from him, we feel he may have been telling untruths.

Steve.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
You can still ride them here in NSW if you modify the output of the cdi. I did it myself once by intalling a resistor between the cdi and spark plug for a person who was extra cautious and then checked it on a dyno. Although it ran coughing and sputtering it still dyno'd at 197 watts
If you plan on going no further than a kilometer or two that might work. Proper way to reduce power would be restrict flow between intake and carb or keep slide from raising no more than a few mm.

The whole concept of running a Happy Time at 200w is ridiculous anyway.

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
If you plan on going no further than a kilometer or two that might work. Proper way to reduce power would be restrict flow between intake and carb or keep slide from raising no more than a few mm.

The whole concept of running a Happy Time at 200w is ridiculous anyway.
I agree with you.. Its crazy to run it at 200w...

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
If you could come up with a way to move the mag coil a bit either way you could do that.
i did think about something like a vacuum/centifical advance like an old distributor had...it would be tough but not impossible...with all the technology out there i wouldn't be aposed to putting a battery in to run an ignition module....the primary ignition has so much resistance that it wouldnt draw much...v/r=a right

wow actually this wouldn't be too hard if i knew about making electronic gismos...the magnito is already supplying a tack signal...all thats needed is a map(manifold absolute pressure)sensor to show engine load, and a tps(throttle possition sensor)for some reactivity...these sensors ar just potenciometer(spelng sucks) pretty basic...but wait we wont need the tps...the intake is so small that the reaction of the map is gonna be just about instantanious...sorry about explaining my acronyms but people in this country cant agree on terms from coast to coast cant imagine how messed it could get world wide...sorry to get off topic guys...i got some thinking now to keep me busy at work tommarow..

wow...add an o2 and you could fuel inject one of these....no need for a cam sensor,CID,crank angle what ever you call it...it always a compression or power stroke....id better stop thinking about how to build this if im gonna get some sleep tonight...

Last edited:

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
There's still the timing of the 6v pulse being sent to the CDI if there weren't your plug would just spark all the time.
the coil works because of the callapsing of the magnetic field of the primary winding inducing a much higher voltage(way less amps)into the secondary windings...if it was steady voltage your plug wouldnt fire at all...steady voltage would be like an endless dwell...think distributers here...that would happen in some old pos cars(have had a few)when they decided to weld there points together

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
This statement blows me away THEY ARE ILLEGAL and like most of the world we obviously dont care
as were ridin them, full stop.
That would make us repeat offenders right? :p Youd think we'd learn from going to court all the time and getting a big long rap sheet :)

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
I think you guys are getting caught up on the law=speak of it. The probability is that they ARE against the law, but the police force doesn't see it as a reasonable law or worth the hassle of pissing off their locals and having to haul away the bikes + the inevitable paperwork. They are borderline illegal here in Michigan, with ANY motorized vehicle (even under 48cc) needing a full lighting and signal system and registration with the state as a moped.

I have an insane next door neighbor (the county sheriff has been here for her 30 times in a 2 year stretch) and the local fuzz here have seen my bike, sans lights or signals, 66cc, and asked to ride it themselves.

There always is and will be a disconnect from what politicians make law and what is truly enforceable.If 2 strokes in the states ARE going the way of the dodo, I'd love to see the task force they're gonna have to put together to confiscate every weed whacker and chainsaw here in the US...brnot

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Technically they are not legal here at all, read the sticker on your motor "EPA approved for off road use only"

This is how snowmobiles and 2 cycle dirt bikes aren't illegal, they are off road vehicles period and can not be legally driven on a road.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i need to post a new thread about what i want to do...i need to get 4 stroke... make a new cam to make it two stroke...the only sensor i didnt think of was a temp sensor for the cylender head since there is no water jacket temp to read...intake air temp would be nice too but probly could be overcome by some adjustable electronics(like those adjustable chips on a genset for timing or idle speed)...thanks for giving me something to think about to get me through work tonight...

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
sorry i didnt think of the air intake problem with converting a 4 stoke into a 2 stoke...maybe super charging???turbo would work but you would have to get the motor started and if you cant eat you cant **** right...i started a new thread, anybody with any ideas please join in...if you dont know if it will work spill your guts im playing with ideas myself...lets have some gearhead fun

just an edit...im gonna have to look into how the snomos got over these problems

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Thank the Gods that I live so close to Mexico. Now instead of suffering the stigma that goes with smuggling illegals or drugs I could make some extra cash smuggling engines and get in on the ground floor of a whole new black market enterprise.