Motor running faithfully now, but.......

GoldenMotor.com

Josh380

Feb 13, 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
The bike is running faithfully now, although since it started running normally, I've noticed a slight drop in total speed (29.2mph down to about 25mph on flat ground). Still plenty fast enough for me, but it seems to run pretty rough at the low end, and somewhere towards the top end it dramatically smooths out, but then goes back to rough running near max rpms.

I'm wondering if changing the setting on the carb needle will help it run smoother? Any other suggestions?

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Hmm... when you say running rough do you mean the entire bike like bucks? Or vibrations are bad.. or idk. I guess i don't really know what your saying. Please specify lol

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
You may be building up some black stuff in your exhaust. I opened mine up it's louder but man it picked up some power.
Still. I rarely go over 15 mph on my china engine MOOP2 bike.
Another little trick is to hold down the tickler in your carburetor till gas leaks out then let go of the tickler. This gets rid of air bubbles in your fuel line.
It's little things like that that makes a world of difference in these things.

Josh380

Feb 13, 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
Basically, it's been running this way since the first time I fired it up. I live only 15 minutes from the beach, so I'm wondering if maybe the factory setting isn't adequate for my altitude.

Ladies:

The bike doesn't buck, but I do feel some hesitation when I'm at WOT, which kinda tells me that it wants to go faster but something is holding it back. It's almost as if the spark is missing ever so slightly. The only other way I could describe it is that when I notice it's running rough, it sounds similar to the way a lawnmower sounds, but not as loud. When it does smooth out near the top end (for the short period of time it does...) it sounds like a well tuned 2 stroke dirtbike.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
^^ Ya, the rubber seal may be creating a vacum -sp- in your tank and not letting the gas flow freely. This happended with one of my friends come to think of it. Although his was more effected, he comepletely sealed it up. If that doesn't work there are lots of posts on spark plugs in here if you think thats really it. Odds are its something little.

Josh380

Feb 13, 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
^^ Ya, the rubber seal may be creating a vacum -sp- in your tank and not letting the gas flow freely. This happended with one of my friends come to think of it. Although his was more effected, he comepletely sealed it up. If that doesn't work there are lots of posts on spark plugs in here if you think thats really it. Odds are its something little.
I'll try it without the cap, we'll see what happens. I think I'll probably replace the stock plug wire. I've already gotten a better plug. Beyond that and possibly adjusting the needle setting, I dunno what else to do.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Hm.. actually might want to try it with the original plug to be honest.. Alot of plugs actually hurt the engine.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
O okay. Just make sure the spark plug you have is applicaple with these motors. It may be taking away that few extra mph. Make a thread and ask if it'l work. Unless you know for certain thats not the problem.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Ya i was just thinking and definitely try taking the air cleaner off. It sounds like you left your choke on, and all the choke does is block off air. So something may be blocking the air flow. The little foam peice inside of it may have been put in wrong.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I use a Diamondfire E3 or was it E3.12 plug. It's shorter by design but when my older plug pulled out black this E3 pulled out brown.
I also use a solid wire spark plug wire. I believe Norman may still have come copper core wire available but that was a few months ago.
I got my wire at NAPA but it seems not all NAPA's carry solid metal wire.

Josh380

Feb 13, 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
The plug I got was an Autolite 275. I just went to the local bike shop and got 2 NGK BP6HS plugs. Nice to have an extra just in case.

I'm gonna get a new plug wire too. I'll be able to test the results after I get a new throttle (grr, broke on me this morning on the way to work).

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds like you are a little rich, move the clip up one notch.
If the plug is black and sooty, or oily, you are too rich.
If it's white or very light, and dry, you are too lean.
If it's a little brown, or black/grey with a little oil on it, you are about right.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
Sounds like you are a little rich, move the clip up one notch.
If the plug is black and sooty, or oily, you are too rich.
If it's white or very light, and dry, you are too lean.
If it's a little brown, or black/grey with a little oil on it, you are about right.
I second the motion My last bike did the same thing until i moved the clip and and then it ran really nice also make sure you gAp the plug properly the NGK plug in my exp was a much smoother burn

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
The sure fire way to check your carb settings is to do throttle chops. You'll need a couple new plugs. 1st 1/8 throttle is not adj on these carbs (would be idle air screw), though less airflow restriction is essentially an adj. of this and all carb phases. 1/8-3/4 throttle is needle, and 3/4-WOT it is main jet only.
So run your bike under load in the range your experiencing problems in for a 1/3-1/2 mile then hit the kill switch. pull the plug and check the color. Should be light tan. Brown = rich, white = lean.
Pushing the plunger down floods your carb and acts like a choke, you want some air in your float bowl. If pushing your plunger down helps then your fuel level in the carb is too low.

Last edited: