continuing on with a brat or maybe a cafe racer

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
this is a continuation of the thread http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=60281 Called Hmm. ...not sure what do you think?

I had this Murray frame laying around - its an 83 murray Baja. It's lugged and feels pretty sturdy for an 80's murray. Ive made some attempts before with it but it never looked right
I put 24 inch wheels on it and got this

I think I'n on the right track now. I need to get that seat to look a little better, and maybe rig up some kind of suspension. Any tips or ideas would be helpful. If I am re doing the seat I may as well try to make a cafe racer seat. It may look a little more cooler than a brat. I also have to address brakes. The guy at the bike shop said U brakes could be made to work because the pads are under the studs not over like a v brake. Would canti brakes work? I can't remember how they work at the moment.
Anyhoo, this is going to be my winter project.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I dunno cuz, I can't get beyond that huge bulbulous tank. Go with 24" wheels with a 24" crank set, put that tank above the rear wheel and custom form a seat to work with it. hmmm. The tank makes it a head scratcher.

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
I put 24 inch wheels on it and got this

I think it would look good...imitating this picture.

Your seat needs to be shortened up a bit. The tank looks big...but that's because there is nothing else filling in the rest of the bike...fatter tires, a headlamp, etc would maybe make it work..otherwise it needs to be a bit smaller.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have to agree with Caoboy. Everything needs to go lower. Go back to 26" wheels and drop the seat and tank lower. At least get the seat closer to the rear wheel. Too high for my eye. See if you can build that traditional little 'hump' into the rear of the seat that all cafe racers seem to have. That would help. I'd look at a cruiser frame. They are typically a little lower to the ground than a road bike.

But that's just my opinion and not carved in stone. But you did ask "what do you think?"

Tom

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I admit it looks kind of high. this is a winter project so I have all winter to figure it out. keep the suggestions coming. maybe ill even fond a proper sized tank by then! or even better maybe the gallon tanks will be in stock again....yeah, I doubt it too

Last edited:

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Here's a picture of one of the bikes that inspired this build. I can't recall who's it is

I have a way to go

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That's Bairdco's bike. He'll probably chime in. Yeah, that's a class act for sure.

Comparing the two profiles you can see what we mean by getting things lower. Don't give up. You're certainly on the right track. We'll be watching.

Tom

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Maybe there should be a thread called "helpful tips for the beginning welder" unless there is one already and I'm too lazy to search.

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
A welding class at the local community college does wonders...

I've learned more about the science of welding, and understand more about it, than those same videos (it's a good channel to subscribe to!) can explain. (I have learned to weld better than my friends who've only watched videos..but they still don't believe a class would do anything for them lol)

On the other hand...those videos help to give me a bit more perspective on 'what' techniques can help, they give you a close up that you tend to 'remember' how it is supposed to look when welding.

TIG welding is not as easy as it looks...and it looks pretty easy. Can you play a drumset, well? because if you can, you'll have an easier time of it. :)

It's all about patting your head with your left hand, rubbing your belly with your right, standing on your right leg, and tapping your left foot, all at the same time.

If you are familiar with oxy-acetylene welding...TIG is a lot like that, except your 'heat/flame' is the arc, and instead of pulling the flame away, you adjust with a pedal.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I see a couple of issues...I got the lowering technique from ratrodbikes.com. It can work fine if you're riding low and slow but riding fast can throw off your rear wheel. I sat on the bike and I realized I don't like laying down. Ill look silly going 20mph in a racing position.
I may have to abandon ship on this one

Last edited:

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
It does stick out forward a bit. Its just what I had at the moment.
Maybe it would look better if I wasn't such a Fatty Boombalatty

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Here's a thought I brought up in the rat rod forum....26 in back and 24 in front. I'm gonna try it tomorrow