Chain Tool

GoldenMotor.com

DATHICKNECK

Jan 25, 2009
HAWAII
I have decided to replace my MADE IN CHINA chain with a #41 chain. I have read the forum and would like to not use the master link. They recommend a tool by Park Bicycle but there are different models, c-3, c-5, c-7 ,etc which is the correct model that can remove the links as well as replace them. If not which is a better brand tool?

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
It can work and it has for many here I'm sure but be careful when you choose not to use a master link because when you squeeze in a chain link on a bicycle it's no big deal but on a motorized bicycle you got yourself a weak link however good it may look. But like I said it's doable and all but a master link is far stronger than a link squeezed together by a chain tool. Once you break that seal on a chain to remove it,it doesn't have that same seal any more once you squeeze it back together.
Pablo over at Sick Bike Parts it seems has a good one. I got mine at Lowes.

DATHICKNECK

Jan 25, 2009
HAWAII
Found the correct tool to do the job go to any Grainger Part #1A911-Chain Detacher and Replacement Chain #41 Part #2W094 . It seperated the chain with ease.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
The lowes part was about 26 bucks. It's in the specialty hardware in those drawers. The chains are usually on the bottom.
Those work okay but you can't get the entire chain in the groove so it takes some finagling to do.

DATHICKNECK

Jan 25, 2009
HAWAII
Thanks I got the chain from Grainger. I asked the guy at Lowes, He sent me to the chainsaws. This is why I asked you the question. You probably know more than the guy at the store. It's funny Home Depot and Lowes are true do it yourself stores because when you go there, you really have to do it yourself!!!

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Park tool ct-7 works great with the 41 chain, downside is it is almost 70 bucks at your local bike store, cheaper online.

I got the one off the SBP website and it didn't last one chain breaking. Pablo said it was not made to break the wider 41 chain, barely breaks a 415. In there defense they offered a free replacement, but IMO its useless to me if it cannot break the chain. If your going to be doing work on your MB alot and plan on keeping a 41 chain, I'd pony up and get the ct-7.

Also, Lowes sells master links for a 41 chain 3 for 4 bucks.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Kit Drive Chain issues are possibly the #1 Buzz Kill!
I offer a Motion Pro (415 & larger) motorcycle one for 29.95
I also sell KMC #415 chain 98 links 10.95
and #415 half links for $2.95