Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks for the help. I'm in hawaii so would rather not order it. I'll try the auto parts store again and find someone who's willing to work for me. On another note my arrow torquer II exhaust should arrive today. There are no pics and few reviews online so this will be interesting. Hope the fab is easy. Pics will follow later.

Ask for a a foot or two of copper core ignition coil wire, and a plug boot to match the diameter of whatever they have in stock, 7mm or 8mm. That'll do the trick.

T_Raw

Mar 26, 2013
Navarre, Florida
I have installed and got my SkyHawk GT5 66c engine running but after only 2 days of riding it the clutch arm is worn badly and caused metal shavings to be in the housing where my front sprocket is. Any help with this would be appreciated

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
are you sure the chain isn't rubbing anything? Are you thinking the clutch arm is worn out because it looks like it is cut in half down the middle if so they come that way I think your chain may be rubbing something and your looking at the normal clutch bar where it presses on the bucking bar that's made flat from the factory not rounded like it is when it comes out of the case ..am I close even? What ill affects are you having?
Are you hearing a grinding?
Is it running like crap , idling OK ?

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
did you put a big glob of grease on it?

I've only seen this twice out of several hundred bikes - both times it was dry & one time the clutch cable was too tight.

T_Raw

Mar 26, 2013
Navarre, Florida
I think it is just my chain rubbing where the clutch arm has the slot right above its worn down a little bit I think I'm just going to call the company I bought it from and see if they will send a replacement I put grease on it and loosened the clutch. If they won't send one does anyone know where I can buy one?

T_Raw

Mar 26, 2013
Navarre, Florida
Also could anyone tell me a good helmet for a motorized bike? Normal bike helmets just seem too soft to be any real help with as fast as these bikes will go and I've almost had a few people hit me because they weren't paying attention and I really would prefer not to have my head bounce off the pavement in a bike helmet

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Also could anyone tell me a good helmet for a motorized bike? Normal bike helmets just seem too soft to be any real help with as fast as these bikes will go and I've almost had a few people hit me because they weren't paying attention and I really would prefer not to have my head bounce off the pavement in a bike helmet
I use a Voss motorcycle helmet picked up at a spring motorcycle show so it was 'show priced' not full retail (I think it was about 1/3rd off retail price). Nice helmet, removable washable liner, interchangable swing down visor (mine has the dark UV tint, I think there's a plain/clear and an amber/polarised option that can be changed out for. Check that route (the shows) out if you can.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I tested one one "bicycle Helmet" a lot further than I would have liked to, when I hit a patch of black ice. I hit the pavement so fast & hard I didn't even have time to get my feet off the pedals. The first thing to hit was my head in a whip like motion because of the way I slid. I had an "BELL VENTURE" bicycle helmet on. I decided to retire that helmet and bought the exact one it did the trick. It took a wallop too figure I'm 6'4.5" 290 lbs so my cranium must weigh like 50 lbs or so. I often think If I didn't have that helmet on I'd be in some hospital bed drooling on myself right now Funny thing is it was just a quick test ride and I almost didn't put it on.

Last edited:

LAguyyy

Super Skilled Master Newb
Feb 25, 2013
Honolulu, hi
I use and recommend a stunt bike helmet, the kind bmx riders, and skaters use. They don't look to big at all, kinda badass actually and have great coverage of forehead, back of head and above and sometimes over the ears. You can buy them everywhere and name rand ones can take quite a blow. I've eaten it on my downhill mountain bike going a good 30+ on rock and didn't crack it. But always a good idea to throw it out after a big hit.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I recommend a full faced DOT approved motorcycle helmet. Yes, they don't look as cool as a 1/2 helmet, but I value keeping my teeth in the event of a face plant far more than looking cool.
Another excellent safety item that I recommend is a bright-as-all-get-out strobe light. Use it during daylight hours! It really helps get the attention of the spaced out soccer moms fighting the kiddies in the back seat while balancing a Starbucks coffee in their lap all while holding a cel phone up to their head.

Like this one:Here

For night riding I recommend getting the Magic Shine lens advertised on the bottom. They are easy to install and really spread out the light pattern to a wide beam rather than the factory spot beam.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Another excellent safety item that I recommend is a bright-as-all-get-out strobe light. Use it during daylight hours! It really helps get the attention of the spaced out soccer moms fighting the kiddies in the back seat while balancing a Starbucks coffee in their lap all while holding a cel phone up to their head.

Like this one:Here
I couldn't agree more, and $25 is a great price for a 1200 Lumen CREE T6 LED and LiPo battery back!

I was paying $40 for them and happy to pay it because I have seen first hand countless times a driver that would have crossed my path because they misjudged my speed slam on their brakes.

It only took that single broadsiding of a van when I was hauling donkey downhill without a light to never ride in daylight without a strobe again just like I never ride without a helmet. That helmet by the way was very damaged and had to be promptly replaced.

Along the same theme I urge you to make sure you have 2 good brakes or no doubt you will find out how good your helmet is first hand.

One last thing is forget tire slime even it is free, it is a messy pretty useless temporary 'after the fact' bandaid that simply will not last long.

If you use an HD tube and put a good liner between the tube and tire you can pretty much kiss flat tires good-bye.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
[Ba great upgrade we all should do if I could just find them non NPT I drilled and tapped my tank due to the worn out threads and other reasons it works sooo much better no more puddle or drips or any of that BS we get with the stock cock , however I found out if you take the stock valve apart and flip over the 4 hole rubber shlt valve it works wonders for a long time. At least it dd for me.
petcock.jpg

http://justgastanks.com/advanced_se...alve&osCsid=dd601d1449d9aca68ad848247466fb74][/B]

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
My wife ordered this "under the cabinet light kit" it was to be for "HER" weekend project
2 months later I ask whats up with this holding a tangled mess of wire and round low voltage lights ..Just throw it away she said I asked are you sure I can put it up for you no she said I changed my mind ok "To the motorized bicycle we go" i mounted on light on the fron ran the wire back tothe rck standing there scratching my head wondering where can I get a power source I needed 11 volts and bing the lightbulb in my head goes off the FIOS guy came the other day and inside the modem he mounted on the baseboard was a bran new 12V 8 hour battery !!! justifying I cant use the pc if power goes out what the heck do I need a bat. back up for needless to say I stuffed it in my leather tool bag it fit perf. ran one wire directly to the light the other to a switch I mounted on the seat post and I also hard wired a quick disconnect and left it dangling so instead of pulling the batt. out to charge it I can just pull out the pigtail run it to the modem plug it in plug it in charging it over night . This light is sooo bright I cant believe it.

I want to go to Benny's and get some of that lens red tape and mount two more on the rear for tail lights ... OH YEA and after I made this post I went back and put in a disconnect so I can remove the bad quickly stress free , I rarely do that though as the other side of the bad is filled with every tool I need. Thanks fer looking folks!

Last edited:

rob.smith

Oct 1, 2011
sd
Modified needle bearing made to fit bushed wrist pin hole

I bought a cheap motor online that used a wrist pin bushing but after a summer of riding the bushing began to go and needed to be replaced but i could not find anywhere that sold them. somewhere along the line i purchased a spare piston set online that came with a wrist pin needle bearing and i found that if you remove 3 of the needles evenly spaced that it will fit and work quite nicely in the wrist pin designed to fit the bushing. I have been running my bike for about 6 months now with this modified needle bearing and it is still going strong.

rob.smith

Oct 1, 2011
sd
the chain is probably just rubbing on the housing. this has happened on several of my engines in the past. the first few rides i could here the master clip on the chain hitting something in the housing every time it went around but after it rubbed some of it away everything worked fine

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
i checked that even dremeled the inside where the chain was actually hitting , it does it every like 3 chain links if I measered them between sounds and I can feel the clutch spring tightening then popping free I think something is binding the spring inside the brand new casing then freeing up weird cause it will go away then just as quick return Also when I went to feed the chain during the install I had to literally pull it it with all I had just to get it to spin ..no plug in clutch fee

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
it looks as if the front gear is slowly moving outward it was almost flush at first now it is like a half inch out of alignment perhaps gears aren't meshing.and thats causing the occasional clunk
I can even see the rubber seal where I couldn't before

Last edited:

rob.smith

Oct 1, 2011
sd
how come the ports on all of these engines are rectangular and all of the ports on the inlet and exhaust are little circles? is this hurting my performance?

buck1234

Apr 17, 2013
Redwood City Ca
Years ago our 10 speed Italian rockets were very sensative to balance even after good spoke tuning. Taped on lead weights or wrapped on skinny threads still had a chance of shifting. Some of us farm boys used split lead shot, comes in any weight you need and once squeezed on the stayed put.

Just my $0.02.

buck1234