How do YOU go from a standstill?

GoldenMotor.com

how do you do it?

• Total voters

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
I give it some momentum then start slipping the clutch. Giving these things momentum is kind of a struggle because they're so heavy and the seat is not positioned all that well for pedaling. That's why stop signs are such a pain. I tend to roll through them..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The clutches in the 2-stroke engines will last forever if you pedal first then gently let out the clutch & give it some gas without slipping it.
Ditto.
But the OP didn't say what engine or clutch. A 4 stroke with a lot of low end torque and a centrifugal clutch might not require much pedaling. Nevertheless, they aren't motorcycles.

Tom

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
I've always thought that 2-strokes have more high-end power and 4-strokes had more low-end torque (though not as much as a diesel), but that doesn't seem to be the case?

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
I've always thought that 2-strokes have more high-end power and 4-strokes had more low-end torque (though not as much as a diesel), but that doesn't seem to be the case?
No, you're right. The 2-strokes make most of their power in the high RPMS while the 4-strokes have their power in the low-end. Being I have a 4-stroke, I can take off with the engine idling, my friend that has a 2-stroke has to help it to get going.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I want that good high end though never push it there- so I guess I'm really after a cruise that's nice without revs or vibration-

50cc and 66 China girls- the 50 obviously needs more assistance, but its a 39 as opposed to a 34 on the back of the other

The bike is light and rolls- so I'm not afraid to get up on the pedals and turn them-
42x 22, and 40 x 22 fine alloy 3 piece vintage road cranks with just the inner chainring and a single back freewheel is what I'm running now on the pedals- so it rolls very easy- easier than a lot of normal bikes

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I always pedal to start off, I have about 1100 miles on my grubee 48cc with original clutch pads. The lugging of the engine is just about as bad on bearing as anything.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I pedal to get it rolling then:
On my Point Beach give it gas and go. It has an EZM powerplant.
On my Atlas I ease the clutch out and match the speed with the throttle to get the clutch to lock up smoothly and then I gas it for maximum acceleration to warp speed. It has an unknown brand 66cc chinagirl power plant. Top speed, mach 0.04.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I broke my left leg in November; upgraded my 44T to a 56T on my 66cc (with 29" wheels). Needed to be able to take off from a dead-stop and take hills without assistance (all 320-pounds of me (backpack included)). Working out swimmingly!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
When I drove an ht bike, I always pedaled before letting the clutch out. If I didn't, my engine would stall (44t rear sprocket, 280lb rider). But I'm in the process of building a bike with a 98cc Lifan, and I'm not yet sure if this bike will have the necessary torque to pull me from a dead stop. Even if it does, I may still give a bit of a pedal before giving it gas, because I know that will be less hard on the clutch.

wasiss

Jan 16, 2013
Simi Valley Ca
I found that if i ride by the lights ahead i don't have to come to a full stop but if i have to i get on the ped's for about 10 feet then start l
etting out on the clutch.

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
I used my clutch like a motorcycle's clutch and never pedaled off to start and it lasted the life of the motor: 6,000 miles. Then the side of the cylinder somehow exploded at 30 mph destroying the whole motor.