Motorized Bike BOAT

GoldenMotor.com

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
UPDATE: FAILURE

So, in short, I brought it out today with reinforced supports, and the metal frame bent out, and then the buckets snapped apart.

Soooo, I think I will make things easier and ditch the buckets idea. While it is a good idea, I just can't find a way to stick them together in a strong enough fashion. I have found a friend though that has ACTUAL pontoons in his back yard just sitting there made out of fiber glass. I'll have to repair them, but I think REAL pontoons would make my job a lot easier.

I didn't want to use wood, because wood just looks bad on a bike, but I may have to, since the metal rods just bend out of shape if there's too much torque placed on em.

For now, i'm grounded. If any of you try this in salt water, make sure to grease up a TON before hand. Make a really solid frame, and have reliable pontoons.

I will try again in a few days after I have aquired and fixed new pontoons.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once.
I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work.
When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
- Thomas Edison, creating the light bulb.

Pcain

Apr 30, 2012
Melb Australia
That is bad a$$

I like that hydra bike idea. Takes all the guess work out of it... something like that would be readily'ish avilable in the USA no?

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
The link to pedal paddle!

haha thats basically the same design I came up with, they have the paddles in the rear spokes, and a small fin at the front spokes.

They even have a motor on it. lol. Although I wouldn't spend 1500 on a bike boat, they do have a good design.

Although one limitation I have is I can't weld... so fabricating a steel frame is hard.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I always wondered if PVC plastic pipe would work. ABS, although cheaper, does not like UV/sunlight and is flammable. (Can buy both big enough to crawl threw) Not that I have tried it but think it would need weep holes on the bottom. There would be condensation and expansion due to heat.

Pre-made straps and hardware are available in the same isles of Lowe's/Home Depot etc. Also caps and glue. Or a local plumbing supply place will go nutz and jump threw hoops to help you. You have the cool MB project thing going then add the boat part and any trades person will really, really enjoy sharing thoughts, ideas and suggestions.

When I go in to Grainger's, I bring my MB in with me. Pretty much a crowd gathers, workers and customers and what ever I am trying to figure out, they come up with a part or concept.

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
Hey guys!

Sorry for not updating!
So as we all know salt water kills bearings, and thats just what happened to my bike. I had to disassemble the wheels and pedals and re-grease everything and replace berings everywhere.
I've got a sturmey archer 3 speed so I want to make sure it is well greased in there.

I'll keep this project in my mind for now. Whats taking my timeis i'm also working on my car a bit so that takes time, got a MK4 Golf TDI that I'm sticking an SB stage 2 endurance clutch into (if anyone is into that).

so project is on hold for now till I can come up with a way to isolate the bike from the water. I'll be back someday!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
You may be aware of this & odd as it may sound, but most non-marine grade grease are somewhat to very water soluble as (I think) they're made from clay/lime particles as a thickening agent for it's petroleum oil base (partic the hi-temp, nonmarine stuff)... there's even mention of soap & other organics used but times change & I could be wrong;

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/242813/grease
http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/sci/A0821642.html

lol *shrug* no matter what it's actually made from, as I'm an all season rider (rock salt & calcium chloride in the winter) and live on the coast - I've noticed a distinct difference in the longevity & properties of various grease types & I've tried more than a few...

Without any hesitation whatsoever I'd recommend giving this stuff a shot: Multi-Purpose 2-4-C With Teflon ... costs a bit more than the cheapo stuff initially, but it's insane how long it lasts & defo lives up to it's "extremely water resistant" claims ;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I will find the link but some one built a boat that is towed with a bike. Although complicated, could do a simple paddle wheel thing. Federal and CT law is really harsh about "causing a sheen on the water" think $5K for minor offence. A 1/4 of an oz of oil or grease is detectable for a mile. The Coast gurd throw stuff in the water and can detect oil.
A MB driven shell/boat towed to the water would solve all that. Some sort of fold up wheels and would give you a cargo space too.

Just a thought. Oh, could have room for 2, too.

(Lol, English. We have three 2s. "2, "to" and "too")

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
MINEO

Just found your cool thread today.

How about a rectangular frame from 2" hd pvc pipe long enough to fit you buckets into and approx 10" between the long pvc pipes then the buckets will stay put. You could strap them in with the cheap 3/4" rachet straps. Strap them on top of pipe frame for travel and then strap them in under the frame for water "surface" travel. You would not need all the trouble of adjustable brackets .

The rachet straps hold it all together and add a lot of strength. You could ad a 3rd pipe on top but would hinder the travel option of buckets on top. Fit the buckets tight together for added stiffness.

You would still acheive your "diy cheap and easy" theme. The buckets are a sound idea. I would have bought the grey colored buckets, unless they are too short.

Drew the sketch in a hurry, don`t think the third pipe is needed. If your brackets could be angled to the end`s of pipe frame or add bridge like frame that buckets could slide under for travel that your brackets need.

Could the buckets be epoxied together for more strength. maybe 2 section`s on each side to go under bracket bridge`s.

Just deleted my "Nose Cone" idea, not nescesary.

Stay with it, have fun.

Ron ..cvlt1

Attachments

Last edited:

GSX

Jun 15, 2012
Ray Brook
Im a marine mechanic, so if you need any ideas im here. As far as marine grease, i use NAPA brand marine. Its pretty cheap, and you really dont need the super dooper high $$$ stuff. Only time i ever drop good money for lube is if it goes in the lower unit( the foot of the motor were the gears that spin he prop are for all you landlocked creatures), 2 stroke oil(amsoil or merc. marine) or just plain old 4t oil( royal purple). While weight is an issue, also look into hydrodynamics of your pantoons, if it does not cut through the water well, you will not go fast or handle well. Fiberglass may be a bit heavy to be able to ride on the street, but that would be what i would use. Another idea would be to use a triple hull construction with a larger main hull and 2 smaller ones on the sides to add stability without adding too much weight over your original desing while making it super stable and as an added bonus you could make them removable. Another idea is to use a 8-10ft jon boat( can pick one up for $50-100) and mod it so you can drop the bike in it but its not gona be easy any direction you take. Just shooting some ideas at ya