Bike engine kits??

GoldenMotor.com

Ryansway

Apr 28, 2012
Tn
I got a Mountain bike and ive decided I want the 2 stroke kits and but dont know a good kit to go with, I got a budget of 100 to 160 ish to go with so..... so basically what the best bang for the buck, and thanks agin.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The main things to look for are, better upgrades on internal parts such as crank bearings. Chain needs to be the 415 also. From what I have learned it's mostly in prepping before installing any kit that makes the differance.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Glad to have more Tennessee folks around here. This question has been asked so many times, if you use the google search box at the top to ask the same question, you will find a lot of reading to do. It is generally suggested to go, not with the cheapest, but a vendor who has a good rep after the sale.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I got a Mountain bike and ive decided I want the 2 stroke kits and but dont know a good kit to go with, I got a budget of 100 to 160 ish to go with so..... so basically what the best bang for the buck, and thanks agin.
Welcome...you basically only have one choice. That's a Chinese (HT) 2 cycle engine kit sold on ebay, or from some or our vendors. Personally to set one up right, through experience, it will take closer to $200.00+ to do it. All these engines are about the same...if you purchase one roll the die, and see what you get. Experience tells me that installing a engine out of the box, won't last long. But for around $200.00 one can't really go wrong. Here are Pre install tips, of what "I" do when I get a engine. If you are capable, and can make/buy some simple modifications, I'm sure you can get away for around $200.00, I know I can without any problem.

Last edited:

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
You need to up your budget a little, maybe to 250 or so, or you are probably looking at a used kit. I say that because there are little incidentals that you may need, such as machining the drive sprocket, getting a quality oversize tube adapter, things that will become obvious after you start. The quality aftermarket parts are worth it, believe me.

Also, if you buy from a quality vendor, I used ThatsDax, you pay a little more, but will have someone to help when needed. These kits are NOT plug and go, and come with no instructions to boot.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
My thoughts....
Buying a (Happy Time) Chinese 2 cycle kit.

1.There are many sellers of these kits, both from different vendors and on Ebay.
2. Most sellers don’t have a warranty, or back up the stated warranty. Very few do.
3. Do a search as to the ones that are reputable, many different complaints from a number of suppliers.
4. Don’t expect to build a MB bike for much less then a minimum of $200.00 plus the bike cost. To me cost isn’t a factor. I’m riding with the same engine since 2009 ($126.00), it was the cheapest I could find. Wasn’t sure how I’d like it, and before I joined the forum. I did my own modifications. Later on the subject.
5.These kits are NOT installed and ride. Expect to make some modifications for longevity.
6. For the most part, these kits are all about the same. It’s a roll of the die.
7.Just about every possible question about this engine has been asked, diagnosed and answered. A search will find that your questions have been covered many times over. Can’t find it? Sometimes it’s hard to find. Just ask. Pictures are a great help, this goes along with a detailed question, and not just “Help?????” Personally I don’t know what a “thingy is” (does anyone?) here is a site that list parts by name. This should help; it did for me as some names of parts are specific to these kits.
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/2stroke-parts-c-4.html?osCsid=ges5a73qhdeuvshi19srjuq544 Thank you bicycle-engines.com
9.We also have stickies that cover just about everything about all MB builds. They are a good source of information.
10. Stay away from “Chrome” painted engines if possible as these engines are air cooled and “BLACK” dissipates the heat better, all mine are either black, or no finish at all.
11.Take your time building, and you will have a safer, better ride.
After building, while breaking it in, I suggest a fuel mixture of 20:1 to start with, not 16:1 as the book states…if you even get one. Here is the manual.
http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/STARFIRE SKYHAWK WEB INSTRUCTIONS.htm
12. Here are the modifications “I” make. Pick out what you want if any.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

We are all here to help, have a ball and a safe ride.

Last edited:

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
ive had good luck with pirate cycles pk-80 silver with upgraded hardware 175 plus shipping.ive used and still use rag joint on sgt. scruffy,however its worth the extra 75 for the sprocket adapter.youll still need to upgrade plug and wire.use lock tite on nuts and bolts.anti sieze on plug threads. i run basicly out of the box with no probs. i do clean and inspect for debris. lube clutch gears and clutch arm etc.

Ryansway

Apr 28, 2012
Tn
Well my bike aint got the straditional Triangle in the middle but a Spring, but is there a way to mount it to the rear if the buke some how?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Well my bike aint got the straditional Triangle in the middle but a Spring, but is there a way to mount it to the rear if the buke some how?
Yes you can, but you need to be able to make a mount. You don't need to use the traditional tube mounting system. The rear mount can be removed. Use two flat bars, form to a partial V and weld a bottom plate on. Bolt the plate to a rack. Then you will need extra long throttle and clutch cables. Or a mount like this. Personally I'd get a bike that the engine can mount the traditional way. You can get one free on freecycle (yahoo groups), or pick one up cheap used. Or start with a front or rack mount. The tank has to be mounted higher then the carburetor.

http://groups.freecycle.org/MemphisTNAreaFreecycle/posts/all

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MemphisFreecycle/

If you don't live around Memphis..search for one closer. I have 3 within 30 mile of me. One in Alabaster (7miles), Clanton (10 miles), and Birmingham (30miles). These are groups that give away items FREE, cant charge or trade for anything.

The picture shows a mount for a chopper, one can be made like this except for the tubes, use flat bar.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You know how people drive around here in our state drive. I got a brake, single,and tail light with a horn kit to put on my bike. They're reasonable priced on eBay. Also consider mirrors, after putting a Police Protective Fund sticker on the back of my bike, I'm now getting my three foot clearances the law requires of cars for bikes.