watch what females are around your bike.

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That's sobering decoherence, good thing she liked all the bugs flying up where she was, or she'd have been on your shoulder giving directions, lol.

That's funny Dan! 2door, I remember the Mythbusters doing a bust on daddy long legs:
MythBusters Episode 13: Buried in Concrete, Daddy Long-legs, Jet Taxi

Also,

Oh Hai!

Those Camel spiders are cool(faast too, like 24Mph, eek!), but my favorite has to be the Golden Orb Weaver(Aus):

Anythine that eats birds is my friend. Personally I hate birds. Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit to see them all devoured. All they do is eat $hit, make more birds and $**** some more. My wife has a parakeet that I would dearly love to see stiff and cold. I hate that bird with an unreasonable passion. "Chirp, chirp, chirp, 24/7 I have to listen to that stupid worthless POS...and they live forever. This one is going on 16 years old. Nature screwed up somehow. How can a worthless thing like a parakeet live that long and a beautiful creature like a Golden Retriever only make it to ten or twelve, if he's lucky? Just doesn't seem right, does it? Sorry. I'm setting here listening to that stupid bird as I type this and it's pi$$ing me off.
Tom

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
This is weird but ever since childhood, (last week or so) I always wondered why say we find for the most part some thing like a butterfly to be beautiful and a spider ugly? Is just instinctual memory that one can hurt you and the other can't?

They have found there is a mathematical definition of beauty to a woman's face. But how can one turn every ones head and another be less desirable? A lot of it is procreation and how good a partner in the cave will be but what is that indefinable "thing"? Like can't define it but know it when we see it.

Most folks think bats are ugly but birds are beautiful sorta thing.

I been awake for way, way to long and prolly should have kept that lil ponderence to my self, huh?

Of course, normal folks don't bolt pump engines to a perfectly good bicycle and see if they live to tell.
funny you mention it.
today, boing boing just posted an article on the evolution of disgust.

The evolution of disgust – Boing Boing

“It’s difficult to think of natural selection actually encouraging the evolution of these kinds of terror-management, anxiety-reducing kind of activities,” he says.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
only 2 poisonous spiders in the usa, brown recluse and the widow. You are incorrect.
No he isn't. My user name should give you a hint as to my expertise on the subject
In addition to the Brown Widow we also have the Southern Black Northern Black and Red Widow
The Brown is the only one with egg sacs that look like old WWII marine mines with spikes all over them

However there are some misconceptions being put out

Spiders are not poisonous, they are venomous, all of them

Fla does not have Brown recluse spiders
In the last 100 years there have only been 5 confirmed bits and two established colonies, Both colonies were transplanted from BRS areas

Spider bites are necrotic by nature with causes a severe increase in the risk of secondary infection with quite often turns into a staff infection which is normally misdiagnosed by Drs who are typically ignorant in the field of entomology as BRS bites which leads to mistreatment which leads to excessive scarring and side effects.
Most BRS bite will heal on their own if they are simply kept clean

And that "big arse" spider is a Huntsman

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i live in sebring FL.
it was a brown widow with the eggs that look like marine mines.
my yard is a perfect place for bugs.
we have passion flowers, grapes, 20ft untrimed orange trees, & a green house. i get stung by a wasp or hornet every couple of months.

i will look to see if i can find another & put it in a mason jar.
i have seen quite a few of the egg sacks before i found that one & it was big.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Over the last 10 years or so I've been bitten a few times by what I suspect were brown recluse spiders. I just put some ground up garlic over the bite and used a piece of duct tape to hold it securely in place for about 24 hours. Each time when I removed the garlic, the bite area was almost completely healed.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
No vampires threatening yo house nunya. If a brown recluse bit ya I seriously doubt your home remedy would work. Those suckers will kill a kid under 10 with 1 bite.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Wuts this Rice treatment?

Also here in N.M I suspect I have been bitten more times than I may ever know by the BRS. I think I ruled that out about 3 years ago? I have had in the years here on rare occasion a spot on my skin I know was some kinda bug bite. Always healed and went away. Me guesses no harm no fowl. Shrug. I have seen the little buggers running around.

I worked as a mechanic in Austin Texas. Saw Geckos jump out of the engine compartment. On many occasions saw spiders that were freaky and did not trust sharing the same work space with them lol. The humidity and mild winters there gave way to lots of insect critters.

Had a car on a lift once and my arms tied up wrenching one day when this great big yellow spotted on black I think it was? Great big color full thing ran half way down my arm. Then ran back up and into the engine compart ment. Was time to bust out the carb cleaner lol.laff

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
No vampires threatening yo house nunya. If a brown recluse bit ya I seriously doubt your home remedy would work. Those suckers will kill a kid under 10 with 1 bite.
Don't doubt until you have tried and seen the results. Home remedies like that have been around so long for a reason.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I knew a guy when I was a kid that got bit on his face by a BR spider. He cut a potato length wise then held it firmly to the area for a very long time. He said the potato was drawing the poison out. Seamed to work!

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Dont forget about the hobo spider it is also very potent and can be fatal when bitten by it and it is becoming more common in the US. I will have to look up the details on it. i coulb be wrong about it but its late here and I have been up too long.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
its amazing to me,looking back at my childhood in Chicago and for 15 years after that, i never remember hearing about the brown recluse till i ended up doing time down state in southern Illinois.we never heard about any dangerous insect or animal other than the wasps/yellow jackets/bees... and i have to say i hate them with a passion for how many times ive been stung.

i lived in Florida for close to a year and man,bugs are huge down there,at school they had to teach us CPR and identifying different dangerous insects,venomous snakes and stuff with in the state to look out for. no offense to Florida natives,but god i only hate that state for few reasons,the terrible heat/humidity/and smell of decaying plants or animals... and the bugs, so if the weather don't kill ya the wildlife will! lol

now i live in southern California... yea big change into safety out here right? besides earthquakes,landslides,wildfires,rock slides,and even the occasional tsunami,im told to watch out for rattlesnakes if i go on rides on a MB,the possibility of BRS or hobo spiders here, also we have an abundance of what looks like male black widows in our yard,and where there's males, there's got to be a female. and god knows what else is creating these holes in our back yard and ants attack everything in their path here. seems like mother nature is on the rag out here.

so yea,after reading this thread,i have to look back at things and say,wow,for as terrible as Chicago was,at least i didn't have so much to think about when it came to what can take me out.almost a carefree life except for all the shootings,muggings,stabbings ect ect on my block.lol now i live with that and mother nature here!

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Technically all spiders are poisonous it seems to paralyze their prey, I was wrong in saying only widows and recluses are poisonous. Those 2 though are the most deadly and put the fear of GOD into me. Chances are you won't die but your in for a world of hurt.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Technically all spiders are poisonous it seems to paralyze their prey, I was wrong in saying only widows and recluses are poisonous. Those 2 though are the most deadly and put the fear of GOD into me. Chances are you won't die but your in for a world of hurt.
Technically they are venomous not poisonous, big difference

Poisonous means they are harmful if you bite them, venomous means they are harmful if they bite you.
Some venom is primarily necrotic and basically starts to digest the prey for the spider and some venom are neurotoxins that paralyze the prey

Most bites to humans are dry bites and relatively harmless. BRS and Brown Widows are actually very docile spiders that you can hold in your hand without fear of being bitten
If you are bitten the chances are very very good that there will be no real side effects

I have been bitten about ten times on the same finger by Brown Widows and have never sought medical attention or needed it. The finger still functions fine and only has an odd row of small callous type tissue down the side

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Found this critter naping behind my metal saw tonight. She looked comfy so I didn't bother her.

Way bigger in real life! The white thing she is resting her foot on is a cig rolling paper.

(wut? so I'm messy)

Last edited: