Man take a look at these prices

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Probably not any less problematic. Atleast we put our bikes together so we have some control of the quality of the build. But yeah kinda kills our MBs value.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
The main reason I worry less about small motorcycles as opposed to our motor bicycles is that on my bicycle whether motored or not, I'm not really competing with the traffic. With the motorcycle you are. Now granted I do get out with the traffic occasionally, usually when I'm making a left-hand turn. But I generally stay to the right of the road and let the cars passed me by. I have found that that is a good survival technique.

Regardless of whether or not you are right or wrong when it comes to a collision with the vehicle that is over 50 times bigger than you you will lose. Looking at those little motorcycles is indeed tempting. I especially like the little bobber chopper, but I don't know how long I'd still be around if I was riding that every day as opposed to my bicycle and or motor bicycle.

mike

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
That's a good looking bike, Tom, but, there is something about riding a scooter with your knees together just don't sit right with me for some reason. For me its either a MB or a motorcycle, lol.
buzzard

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am glad to see that they are putting disc front brakes on them now.
A friend of mine had one nearly identical to this one 50cc 4 Stroke Znen Moped Euro Gas Motor Scooters
only it had drum brakes front and rear.
It nearly killed him while going down the Texas Street hill.
Folks from San Diego will know what I am talking about. Really steep, lots of traffic, one cross street with traffic light.

The brakes barely held him at a reasonably slow decent, never mind having to actually stop at the traffic light.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I like my bikes......I not allowed to have a motorcycle, I promised my lovely wife I wouldn't buy one until our kids are out of college.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
if only the china girl was made as well as the hf motors.
I think the same thing, and I still wonder why it cannot be done. It is obvious that better technology exists in the Chinese factories and the capacity for good quality control is not out of their reach and all of that can still be done at a good price point..... so why do we still have issues with the Grubby engines?

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
they might look cool but good luck if you need parts, and who wants a cheap p.o.s. anyway, the whole idea behind a motorized bicycle is a do it yourself concept, no insurance or even a licence for that matter. you cant go down a bike path on one of those so it does not compare or even relate to motorized bicycles.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
they might look cool but good luck if you need parts, and who wants a cheap p.o.s. anyway, the whole idea behind a motorized bicycle is a do it yourself concept, no insurance or even a licence for that matter. you cant go down a bike path on one of those so it does not compare or even relate to motorized bicycles.
I'm with you, Lance. It doesn't take a genius to fix an HT, and getting parts is not a big problem either. Can't say I've tried bike paths, but that's a good point too. Some few of us would value our motorbikes more highly than these scooter things.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
If you have access to all the tools to handle re-fabricating it into something like you want, the $500 50cc scooter is a pretty good parts deal: a 50cc engine w/3-speed auto gearbox, PLUS a dynamo and full lights, and a bunch of other parts also. Plus, if you can find one with wire-spoked wheels, then you've got solid hubs and brakes also that can be re-spoked onto other (larger) rims. ...Or just buy some (Chinese) dirt bike wheels,,,, the dirt bike/pit bike wheels are still wire-spoked usually, and most I've seen pics of had 36 spokes. Ya just need a different sprocket....

-------

The China girl bicycle motors will never be built that well, as there's not enough consumer demand anymore. The 2-stroke engines are already banned in China. The quality might hold steady for a while, but it is definitely not going up from where it is now.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Amazing what they can do and what they can do it for.

There's not a moped among the bikes shown. All have to be licenced and insured.
Perhaps where you are but not true in all states. Here under an 50cc/2Hp scooter is the same as a moped requiring no plates/insurance/inspection.

the whole idea behind a motorized bicycle is a do it yourself concept, no insurance or even a licence for that matter. you cant go down a bike path on one of those so it does not compare or even relate to motorized bicycles.
As noted above, insurance isn't needed everywhere but a DL is in many places to ride an MB. As to bike paths on an MB, a MB might be run with the motor off but how many will be do that......... bit of a slippery slope there. Where I live they have cracked down on it, seems everybody carries a cell phone these days.

The China girl bicycle motors will never be built that well, as there's not enough consumer demand anymore. The 2-stroke engines are already banned in China. The quality might hold steady for a while, but it is definitely not going up from where it is now.
Yup, the mass market, average consumer interested in 2 wheel transport doesn't want a bicycle , they want a slick, ready to roll scoot and the Chinese know this most of all from decades of personal experience.

Last edited:

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
I ride bike paths and anywhere I want with the engine on or off, the 4 stroke engines are so quiet they cant be heard unless your full throttle, In philly kids ride 2 stroke dirt bikes up and down streets and people get shot over parking spots, the cops could not care less about me on a motorbike, if you live where cops have nothing to do all day, you might have a problem with a motorbike, but not in philly.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
MB sellers need to find their nitch. Just claiming low cost transportation isn't enough imo. Obviously there's plenty of low cost transportation to go around. Some even claim to have 2 year warranties. The fact that in most cases we don't need registration, or licensing isn't going to be a huge incentive either, unless your customer base are a bunch of alcoholics who have all lost their licenses. Insurance for my Road King is only about $50 a year. A 150cc scooter will be less. I guess having to get a real motorcycle license is the only real obstacle, but if you're so decrepit you can't get a MC license, how long will you last riding anything with 2 wheels on the street?

So what's the answer? IMO store bought MBs need to go high quality, high end user to succeed. I'm thinking $1500-$3000. The main target customer will need to be a person that doesn't care what a motor scooter, or motorcycle costs. They have money, but not the skill or inclination to build a good MB themselves.

Of course this won't effect any of us DIYers, but as long as that's the only kind of people riding MBs we'll always be minor league.

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
our bikes cost around $3000 complete depending on the customers parts selection, the frame alone is $1100 with choice of powdercoat, with our bikes you get a USA handmade cromo frame. we arent trying to compete with a chineezzze p.o.s. scooter, we do what we do, and that is make the best motorbicycles in the world. USA ALL THE WAY !!!