a weird guy named ray sent me here

GoldenMotor.com

mopedjay

Feb 19, 2011
Haverhill Ma
everybody call me moped jay

i havent had a motorized bicycle since i was like 17 but i have had hundreds of mopeds motorcycles and scooters since then

ray(im not sure what his user name is on here yet) is into the kit bikes i enjoy making fun of him when he breaks down like when his cheap cast pulley broke during a downpour at the boston scooter rally but my moped seized up 5 times on the way to the rally

il prolly throw together another motorbike this spring but no kit cause i like it old school even though finding a maytag engine is getting hard im sure i can find a kick start B&S WM engine somewhere and whatever bits and pieces i can find for free or cheap

also gutta 1951 columbia bike i wanna get one of them imitation solex engines for

oh well have fun yall

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Welcome aboard Jay! By chance was that you who came to the Cape Henlopen Rally last year with Ray? If so, I have to say that your moped convinced me to go out and buy one as well. I recently bought a 1978 Puch.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Welcome to the forum Jay, from Dallas.

I ride a China Girl, and several motorcycles, but lately the China Girl most of the time. Mine is very dependable.

mopedjay

Feb 19, 2011
Haverhill Ma
yes kilroy that was me

thats awesome you got a puch those are great mopeds that honda i rode wasnt mine i borrowed it from a friend my mopeds are usually dead from abuse

biknut those are some crazy tires you have there haha did you paint them or did they actually come like that

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
yes kilroy that was me

thats awesome you got a puch those are great mopeds that honda i rode wasnt mine i borrowed it from a friend my mopeds are usually dead from abuse

biknut those are some crazy tires you have there haha did you paint them or did they actually come like that
They sell them that way. They're called SweetSkinz, and they're reflective.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum, Jay.

I will no doubt be asking you some questions regarding mopeds as I've been scrounging parts for bike builds... front forks, 36 hole hubs and now am looking at a 2 speed Tomos A35 in a Worksman frame. This is a great forum and I'm sure your moped experience will be much appreciated.
SB

mopedjay

Feb 19, 2011
Haverhill Ma
haha hopefully i wont be in mass for long this cold weather makes my knees make crunchy noises

when the docs put the metal rods in my legs they didnt tell me its gonna be painful in the cold

silverbear im the used moped parts guy i usually have a bunch of parts and parts bikes around

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm going to be looking for the lower transmission unit on a kick start version of the Tomos A35 if you run across one. I'm also looking for a second set of 36 hole moped hubs to lace into 26" wheels. A round headlight with the speedometer built into the top is on my wish list.
SB

mopedjay

Feb 19, 2011
Haverhill Ma
right now the only tomos i have is a 2009 that i traded a crappy old derbi for

what brand of hubs are you looking for im guessing you would want the rear to have a freewheel to use on a bicycle you would need them from puch,motobecane,peugeot,batavus i might be able to dig up a set of motobecane hubs

jawas have a freewheel but its on the left cause them backwards commies in the eastern block like to build things the wrong way

the only headlights i have are from jawas they are not the kind you want but they look cool though its a cev bucket that takes an 1156 type bulb and the speedo bracket mounts on top of it il grab a pic of one tomorrow at some point

the czechs even though backwards did make one of the most gorgeous bikes
heres my 1971 50/20 pionyr
3862907498_62412f5fbd.jpg

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That Jawa is pretty cool. Back in the early sixties I had a kind of beat up 250cc Jawa that ran nice. It didn't look like what I thought a cool bike should look like and was the only motorcycle I ever owned. When I was a kid in the 1950's a 250 was a fast bike... Triumphs and BSAs from Britain were cool. I suppose now 250 is considered wimpy... let alone a 50cc moped. Ha!
SB