first build won't start (yet)

GoldenMotor.com

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Hold down tickler on carb and see if gas flows out. You might want to remove air cleaner until you get it running. Have a look at how the choke looks and see if slide moves up and down when you twist the throttle? Walter F.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome and enjoy.
One of the most common mistakes I see made by beginners is incorrect wiring. Make sure your ignition wiring is right. Remove the spark plug, ground it against the cylinder head fins and with the clutch engaged, rotate the engine via the pedals. The plug should spark. Next is fuel delivery. Is there fuel visible in the fuel line from the tank to the carburator? Is the fuel petcock open? (lever in line with fuel line).
The choke is on (closed) with the choke lever up, open is down. The small spring loaded button on the left side of the carburator is called a 'tickler' or primer. Use it sparingly, a few seconds depressed is enough. Close the choke, lever up, fuel petcock on and twist the throttle about half way then pedal with the clutch hand lever pulled in then release it. If all this proves to be fruitless, come back and let us know what happened. There are lots of other things that could be the problem, these are just the basics. We're here to help.
Tom

seabeast77

Feb 6, 2009
California
thanks for all the replies. the plug is a little moist but not very. the wiring should be fine i took out the kill switch and i have gotten spark before. also, i hooked the throttle up to my right side hand brake, i didn't like the plastic twist throttle. so i am gonna go out and see if i can find the best choke position and throttle to get her started. i will take off the air filter for this try. thanks again. wish me luck.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
thanks for all the replies. the plug is a little moist but not very. the wiring should be fine i took out the kill switch and i have gotten spark before. also, i hooked the throttle up to my right side hand brake, i didn't like the plastic twist throttle. so i am gonna go out and see if i can find the best choke position and throttle to get her started. i will take off the air filter for this try. thanks again. wish me luck.
Sea,
Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
Tom

seabeast77

Feb 6, 2009
California
we have lift off. got it going first try. i think pulling off the air filter relly helped. i also think it may have been flooded so i started it with the fuel off and ran it for awhile like that to try and burn any excess fuel. took it out then started messin with the idle screw. first i tightened it way to much so that was scary, i backed it out most of the way. any suggestions on what is the best idle speed? should it coast with no throttle at all? during this frst ride it bogged down several times. i would have to adjust the air flow(choke) by hand while riding to keep the engine going. it got better later in the ride so i think it will improve over time. lastly i noticed my engine seemed to move way to much when i hit a bump, i had lost one of the bolts holding the motor to the frame. i pedaled home. then i tightened everything, a lot. new bolt on moday.

good riding

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
ok,... I'm in the same boat as seabest was,..
AND, I can't figure out how to start a 'new thread' on this site,...?
so, till I get that straight I just reply on already started threads,...
but my motor won't start,..
it's a Lucky Early Bird 66cc
I got fuel in the line and to the carb,
got spark, checked it several times,
wired blue to blue, black to black,
got the kill switch disconnected,
all wires not in use capped, the white and the 2 from the kill switch capped at this time to avoid that being the problem,

keep hearing different gaps to have on the plug and different mixes to use,...
I have a 16:1 ration now (as suggested by the kit I bought) is that to rich for a first start ?
and .032 gap in the plug,...

I tried in my driveway several times, slighty down hill but was going pretty good when I released the clutch,... no go,
then took it to a big hill,... same thing, just not firing up,...

I'll try any suggestions,...

it is cold here, around 40 today, but the days i tried it I brought the bike out from in the house, so it was room temp,... now it's been out in the garage and is cold,...

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
make sure your using the choke, move the choke slowly on and off as your trying to start it. don't give it a lot of throttle, just tweek the throttle open and closed a little as you try and start it. some times on the first fire up you need to be a three handed monkey to get one fired up.

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
make sure your using the choke, move the choke slowly on and off as your trying to start it. don't give it a lot of throttle, just tweek the throttle open and closed a little as you try and start it. some times on the first fire up you need to be a three handed monkey to get one fired up.
all while riding down a hill,...? yeah a 3 handed monkey could help...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Let me ask you two questions.

1. You said you had fuel in the line and in the carb. did you check to see if the plug is wet. If the plug is wet after you attempt to start it. Then see question 2.
2. Did you seal the carburetor intake. If not you might have an air leak which was the most common problem when I was messin with these kits a couple of years ago.

After those two suggestions I'm lost sorry if they don't help.

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
Let me ask you two questions.

1. You said you had fuel in the line and in the carb. did you check to see if the plug is wet. If the plug is wet after you attempt to start it. Then see question 2.
2. Did you seal the carburetor intake. If not you might have an air leak which was the most common problem when I was messin with these kits a couple of years ago.

After those two suggestions I'm lost sorry if they don't help.
Thanks Deacon and all who have responded,...
plug is wet and smells like gas,...
don't know how to check or seal the intake, but I'll have a look,...
is the intake where the carb mounts to the pipe from the engine,>>>?

Norman suggested I close my plug gap to .020 and use a fuel mix of 32:1,...
I'll let ya all know,...

scuba

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
got it guys, thanks,...
changed the fuel mix to 32:1 and gapped the plug at .020
got some ether into the carb by rotating the throttle till the sheath went up and it fired right up, now no ether needed and running smooth,...