working crusier without a tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Cruiser with no tensioner.....some frames have horizontal drop outs which can utilize screw type chain tensioners on each side.....that's what I'm using....as well as all of Jim's good stuff...( the sprocket and adapter makes a whole new world )....no half link and a single masterlink....here's a snap of the bike and one of said tensioners.....the stock tensioner that's included with the kits is being used on the PEDAL side with a longer chain so as to aid in pedaling if needed....

Salty.shft.

Attachments

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
KCvale,
Nice photos and explanation.
Thanks bear, and you can just call me KC ;-}

Detailed photos make such a huge difference in an explanation I try to always take the time to use them, and for me hosting them is nothing, I own my own internet server for my real business.

Anything is better than that godawful huge metal tensioner that comes with the kits if you HAVE to use one.
I bought one of these to put on the pedal side to use while I put the first 20-30 miles on a new build until the drive chain stretches back some if I need to.
It seldom needed though as the pedal chain just doesn't get much use.

You can use it in pull-up mode on the pedal chain.
Pricey at $20, but it easy to mount and adjust by sliding closer to the pedal sprocket, and it sure looks a heck of lot better to me.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
kcvale, what size is the chain on the engine side? It looks like a 1/8 bmx chain. SBP told me those would work. I tried it and it fit around the sprocket but wouldn't fit around the drive gear on the engine.