Mounting a Chain Tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
And getting it to stay in place! What do you guys do with the stock tensioner to get it in place?

I was thinking some drilling and self tapping screws.

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
I've seen a few bikes that have a screw through the tensioner bracket and chainstay tube, and it seems like it would be fine. I would jsut make sure it wasn't too big of a screw so you don't compromise the strength of the chainstay.

I don't suggest doing what I did with my bike by accident, which was tightening the bracket so much that I pinched the chainstay tube :). It worked and the bike still seemed sturdy enough, but don't do it :).

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Not to discourage discussion but as the dreaded tensioner and it's mount is somewhat of a safety issue - I hearty suggest checking out the link posted above.

Drilling holes and self-tapping screws a valid solution and used successfully by some - it, like all "suggestions" in that thread depends heavily on the bike in question. Depending on the gauge fastener used it could compromise the integrity of the chainstay - I'd not be comfortable doing that to my aluminum build for example.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I've seen a few bikes that have a screw through the tensioner bracket and chainstay tube, and it seems like it would be fine. I would jsut make sure it wasn't too big of a screw so you don't compromise the strength of the chainstay.

I don't suggest doing what I did with my bike by accident, which was tightening the bracket so much that I pinched the chainstay tube :). It worked and the bike still seemed sturdy enough, but don't do it :).
LOL Ulysys. I have done that and worse. Reshaped a down tube with a mallet, relocated a muffler to clear the crank with steel toed boots an' many more. Some times ya really do just need a bigger hammer.

...But don't do it! snork
laff

stilldoc

Sep 16, 2009
Oklahoma
You might try inserting adding a grab strip between the chainstay and tensioner bracket to prevent rotation without drilling a hole in the frame. It also allows for adjustment if necessary.

Alternatively, you can use an internal tooth washer. Here's a photo of both.

lazieboy

Sep 5, 2009
Mid-west
If motor is twisting a little with torque may cause it to move, or out of round sprocket causing chain to get real tight might make it move. Thats what happened to me, all better now. I also put an extra nut on the end of tensioner bolt nut to keep it from coming loose.