what is this

GoldenMotor.com

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Wild guess, as i've never actually seen one... but based on hub diameter, and single sprocket, is that a rear hub with multiple gears built into it? A 3-speed maybe? What happens when you actually try to use it? I assume you've actually tried riding it and flipping the lever to see what would happen?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Wild guess, as i've never actually seen one... but based on hub diameter, and single sprocket, is that a rear hub with multiple gears built into it? A 3-speed maybe? What happens when you actually try to use it? I assume you've actually tried riding it and flipping the lever to see what would happen?
That would be my guess, I have never seen anything like that before and I have never heard of gears in the hub. But that's all that come's to mind.

Maybe thier is a wind-up spring in there and that is to release the tension to give you an extra boost. rotfl

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The clown bike started life as one of those. The gears worked perfectly but the wheels were so narrow that it tossed my fat butt all over the road, so I switched them. I still have the wheels and hubs laying around.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Yes, it is a Sturmey Archer 3-speed. They are great hubs, very durable and have literaly been around for a hundred years. If you clean up your hub housing, you should be able to see numbers stamped on the hub that will tell you the year that it was made. Looks like you'll need a new shifter, you can order them through any LBS. Nice find...Kelly

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I've got one on a bike (engineless...sad I know) now, it's bullet proof. I was doing "burnouts" and broke my crank, but not the Sturmey Archer!