1911 Flying Merkel single build.

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Once Bob was available we teamed up on the bronzing and clean up of the tank and tabs for the "oil pump" When I say we, I mean Bob :) I took pictures and handed him things... First though a little correction to the tank. I'll have brass straps on the underside of the tank but Merkel's of the day had no top tube straps. Looking at photos of em the gas and oil fill holes were brazed /bronzed to the top tube. This tank came with blind threaded BUNGS to attach straps. Had to fill and grind smooth. Then the two oil / gas fill holes were bronzed to the top tube. This thing aint going anywhere
fill a hole 1.jpg
bronze a tank 1.jpg
bronze a tank 2.jpg

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
After that we carefully aligned the tabs that will hold the veterinary cattle syringe. ERrrr Oil transfer pump! and held each one down with a steel stick while Bob put the bronze to em. last pic the tab is still glowing red hot!
bronze a tab 1.jpg
bronze a tab3.jpg
bronze a tab done.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightster

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Lots O cleanup to be done on both the welds and brazing. And still a bit more welding to be done. Got some shoulder bolts and nylocks for the swinging stand. These tabs will be welded to the underside of the very stout dropouts.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks guys! I appreciate the ++ comments :) often it's very hard to see the finished product under all the roughness of a build midway through. I have at least some good news, if no real progress. Bob has been out of town and I need his welding skills for the next few bits. He just got back yesterday and had contact with our long lost machinist! Turns out his assistant is gonna take on my flywheel and other bits. Its only been 8-9 months so I'm not holding my breath. Back at it next week. For now I'm getting close on my electric build and should be riding that this weekend. Check out my "Reverend Iggy" thread in e bike sub-forum for pic's!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Well; With all the stops and starts and delays this build is taking WAY longer than planned. First it was the cancer ( now banished ) then it was my hip ( bone spurs and bursitis ) now the bursitis has moved to my shoulder :-|| That I could cope with but the HEAT has been unmanagable. That, and all my elderly mothers issues. But their is hope! Have my reduction drive in hand and the 3D clutch I have decided to use will arrive today! AND next week it's supposed to be cooler. SO. Some progress may be made. Honestly there is not that much left to be done and with a little luck could be rideable "soonish" I'm still here and still plotting and scheming :)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Ah yes, the woes! I've got to see Monday what they can do about possible neck injury as they now think not tendonitis. Half my left hand is numb and pain all the way up arm to back shoulder blade.

In any case I have kept my plans to finish an art cover of a California Sheeps Head Fish to use on my motor bike for parades. Not sure where I'll work on it when I'm better. But maybe when weather is cooler. Recently I saw 102 and headed to a creek to be in the tree shade and coolness.

Stored stuff will just wait and maybe next year see about getting a Burning Man Event Ticket to get back since a couple years hiatus.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Get well is 'kinda the daily prayer for most of us senior citizens, but health issues do slow us at any age. I'm wishing you the best and a speedy recovery. Hanging out at lovely streams can't hurt! Rick C.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey Velodrome..........

I didn't realize a comment you made until I dug way back into an old post on this build, but you said "I got the short end of the stick on our trade" Not true bro we did a good trade and to see the bike come as far as you have brought is more then fair with me you have done (again) a FANTASTIC JOB !!! that's a fair deal with me Bro.
The only unfair deal for me was when the guy I paid to fix the forks ripped me off not only for the $$$ I paid him but bike too, You and I are good Bro, keep up the good work!
Luv Ya Bro!