So where do you keep your gasoline ??

GoldenMotor.com

karama8484

Aug 12, 2011
Houston
I live in an apartment and I keep a 1 gallon gasoline jug under the bathroom sink inside two plastic bags. I've got nowhere else to put it. It makes me really paranoid though and I realize this probably isn't the safest thing to do but I don't really have a choice.

Do any of you guys keep a gasoline jug inside? Any tips on how to make this situation as safe as possible?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Where do you work, maybe it can be stored there. Maybe at a friend/co worker's house. Even at a gas station you do business with if it not a Wal Mart type. If it is, consider doing business with a mom and pop station, even if the gas is a little higher. Around here we have non developed areas, in your position I would take the approved can, spray paint it camo and hide in some brush, away from home.... There are so many places to store gas out of the apartment. Last resort, buy in quantity needed, mix oil, fill tank and give remainder to someone to add to their car tank. Mixture in that quantity won't effect a gas burner. There are so many options.

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Here in NYC, keeping gas in doors in ANY kind of container is strictly verboten.
A few guys I know that live in apartments, use an approved red plastic gas can and chain it up out on the fire escape...not ideal.
Yet another reason to go 4 stroke or electric.
FR

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
I'm in the same situation. Thinking about getting rear rack, then putting the jug in like an ebike battery bag..

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. You want that gasoline in a well ventillated area if stored in your house. A 1/2 teaspoon or less of vapor is heavier than air and, without ventillation, can stay in a cabinet or corner of a room for years waiting on an ignition source to become an unknown cause of a fire. Secondary containment as plastic bags, I don't know, with a little bit of vapor in there, that's a bomb. I would seal the bags and certainly be gentle with them, then outside I would turn them inside out and shake good before storing gas container in there. Overall it's safe in a home as long as you keep open the door of the room all day or regularly to keep the area well ventillated. Thankyou. I store a gallon minimum in my bedroom. It's well sealed with cap, no secondary containment, look at all the stores they sell camping gas, starting fluid, solvents like acetone, <0 degrees flash pt. and, within the molecule, has it's own oxygen to burn, and gasoline additives. I think it's OK in doors as long as you understand what you are dealing with. The chemical industry is one of the saftest of all. Chemicals don't lie, they work within certain rules, and if understood, they are very safe.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
In a VAN........ Down by the river!!

P.S. Take a look at my new beach buggy trailer addition folks

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A question to the OP. Where do you store your bike? Does it not have a fuel tank?

As for storing fuel in plastic bags; DON"T DO IT. The static electricity that can be produced from a plastic bag can be the ignition source for a violent explosion.

I posted a story here a couple of years ago about a motorcyclist who was badly burned when he ripped tape from his fuel tank. Static discharge has been responsible for many fires especially where a fuel source like gasoline vapor is concerned.
http://motorbicycling.com/f11/fuel-tanks-fire-12546.html

Tom

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I hopoe nothing ever happens but if it does you can kiss your renters insurance good by.This is a very dangerous thing to do IMO.If it is just having premixed fuel handy why can't you just get a 1/2 gallon or smaller container and put the correct amount of oil in it.Grab it and head to the gas station....mix and poor.Leave that bottle in a water bottle cage or somewhere on your bike.

karama8484

Aug 12, 2011
Houston
Oh crap. I did not consider the static electricity from the bikes. I need to remove it ASAP. Thanks so much for the tip. I've been really paranoid about this problem today.

See I'm a poor college student that purchased a motorbicycle because I can't afford a car. It's my only means of transportation to and from school. I'm not doing this out of laziness or recklessness. It's really out of necessity and lack of alternatives.

I store my bicycle inside the apartment but I'm not as worried about it because the bicycle is only inside the apartment when I'm inside. If something were to happen, I have a fire extinguisher I can use. And correct me if I'm wrong but it seems safer due to the metal tank.

I might strongly consider mixing 0.5 gallons at a time as needed to avoid having to hoard gasoline. Man this is all very stressful. My bike might be causing more problems than I thought it could solve.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
BREATH...you will figure it out.Many people use MB for transportation and live in apartments.For now get rid of the bags and keep the place vented.Some one here will come up with an idea that will help.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Approach a friendly soul, maybe someone who works at the college and who lives nearby, and explain your situation. Ask if you can exchange an odd job or two for the privilege of storing a small container of fuel in their garage.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i would get a large terracotta pot. put it outside the front door.
you can cover the pot's mouth with the dish that normally sits under the pot.
it then will look like a little table that can either have a small plant or an ashtray.
i use to use them as side tables that way.

edit~ i forgot about the gas. so no ashtray. lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i would get a large terracotta pot. put it outside the front door.
you can cover the pot's mouth with the dish that normally sits under the pot.
it then will look like a little table that can either have a small plant or an ashtray.
i use to use them as side tables that way.

edit~ i forgot about the gas. so no ashtray. lol
How about a small potted plant that would set on top of the terracotta pot. You could hide your gas can inside :)

Did I say, "pot"...sorry. :)
Tom

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I used to have the same problem, storing gas/oil mix for my motorized bike. Now I simply carry 2 oz oil in my reserve bottle. If I'm at home and need gas, I close the petcock and pour oil into my four-liter tank. Then I pedal to the nearby gas station. By the time I get there, the oil has mixed thoroughly with the 8-16 oz gas im the tank. I simply pump three quarts of gas into my HT tank and pedal away for one block. Then I open the petcock, start the engine and motor away.

If I'm on the road and need gas, I pull into the Chevron station, add oil then gas, and motor away. I've been doing this for a few months, with no protest from the engine.xct2

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Just go to walmart and buy one of those 1/2 gallon fuel jugs. That has the spout. Its approved and you can have it anywhere. Just don't store gas in your apartment. If it gets ignited. Nothing will stop it from burning the whole apartment complex down.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
When I was at an apartment, I would just keep it on the patio at the top of the stairs. I have a 1 gallon with the standard safety lock triggered nozzle, so I removed the safety lock. This way, when I'm walking by it and it's bulged out a bit, I can just step on the lever to let the vapor out.

I also have a "chwinn" seat post luggage rack I had someone custom weld a metal box and bungee hooks onto for my gas can (increasing my distance to about 100 miles [or 2800 miles if I fill it with opti2 and hit every gas station on the way]).

Really though, in your situation, I would get a standard old school vented metal gas can. Store it wherever, the fumes will escape at first, but it will settle to the point where you can flip hot cigarette butts into it if you so chose to.

Last edited: