Engine wont start

GoldenMotor.com

Roni892

Mar 5, 2009
New York
Hi, I just finished building my motor bike, and I only got it to start once. Now, i everytime i try to start it, it starts for a few seconds, then dies, then a lot of fuel just leaks out of the carb and exhaust. What should I do?

gofast

Mar 4, 2009
Winnipeg
Sounds like it could be that the float level is set to high.Adjust the tangs down a little till the problem resolves it self. Don't forget to clean your plug!

gofast

Mar 4, 2009
Winnipeg
Any luck yet? Have also come across pin holes in the float...that will weigh down the float allowing to much fuel to flow in. The floats are made of a very thin plastic and are virtually impossible to fix as they seem to always have the leak on the inside seam were the float floats up and down were the needle and seat are and the tolerances are to close to put any sort of patching compound as it restricts the movement of the float causing the problem to compound itself even worse...remedy-get a new float and replace. You will be able to tell if this is the problem by taking the float out and visually look to see if there is fuel inside the float itself.Hope this might shine some more light on the problem that you are having.

Regards,
gofastdnut

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Roni, welcome. Sorry to hear your new build is not up and running yet but looks like folks are taking good care of you and all will be vroom soon. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Roni892

Mar 5, 2009
New York
Any luck yet? Have also come across pin holes in the float...that will weigh down the float allowing to much fuel to flow in. The floats are made of a very thin plastic and are virtually impossible to fix as they seem to always have the leak on the inside seam were the float floats up and down were the needle and seat are and the tolerances are to close to put any sort of patching compound as it restricts the movement of the float causing the problem to compound itself even worse...remedy-get a new float and replace. You will be able to tell if this is the problem by taking the float out and visually look to see if there is fuel inside the float itself.Hope this might shine some more light on the problem that you are having.

Regards,
gofastdnut
I took apart the carb, and took a look at the float and it seemed fine. I put it all back together and tried to start it up, it didnt start, however, it did NOT leak any fuel which is good news. Now i am stuck because now that the fuel isnt leaking, i have no idea what the problem is.

Roni892

Mar 5, 2009
New York
Thanks for all of your suggestions. The motor is not leaking fuel anymore so I think i fixed the stuck float in the carb. It is still not starting, however, I have a good feeling it is a problem with the wire connections, which I am going to take care of by splicing the wires together instead of using the connectors that came with the kit. Also, I have not checked my spark plug for spark, how do I do that?

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
remove the plug wire and then remove the spark plug. reatach the loose plug to the wire and lay it against the motor head the push the bike forward with the clutch out it will turn the motor over easily. the spark plug should show a nice blue arc between the plug and the motor head.

Yes soldering the wires would be the best method of connecting the wires but you can twist them tightly and tape them tightly. also check to make sure your white wire is not touching anything most of us cap it off then wrap it with tape.

Tim Ford

Mar 17, 2009
Cambs, England
I opened the carb, looked inside, and had no clue what to do. (As in i took of the float bowl)
My 50cc has been pulling like a train for months but yesterday it just stopped, like it had run out of fuel.Had carb to bits and as usual, perfect, tank line is clear also. Changed the plug , re wired the dodgy terminals to the ignition module, checked out the rotor and stator, no probs but still no go. Do ignition pack give up every now and then. Got loads of compression and juice

Jun 25, 2008
My 50cc has been pulling like a train for months but yesterday it just stopped, like it had run out of fuel.Had carb to bits and as usual, perfect, tank line is clear also. Changed the plug , re wired the dodgy terminals to the ignition module, checked out the rotor and stator, no probs but still no go. Do ignition pack give up every now and then. Got loads of compression and juice
have you tried taking out the spark plug (still in boot) and walking the bike? if you keep the plug close to the frame/engine you should see a spark jump. If you have spark it must be something blocking/leaking air...
If no spark, will pop out a replacement CDI to play with.