Anyone used motorized bike kit and hub motor for hybrid bike?

GoldenMotor.com

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
My lithium powered ebike blew up yesterday, luckily insurance is covering everything and the only things damaged when the 1,500 watt hour lipo pack blew is the bike (melted the entire aluminum frame!) and a low hanging branch of a nearby tree - good thing I always charge outside!. I'm thinking, instead of rebuilding another $2k lithium bike, I can use the new 9c hub motor and kelly controller with regenerative braking I just bought, and a generic 66cc gas engine to make a hybrid bike. The 66cc engine would be geared for top speed (36 tooth sprocket), the hub motor would be the front wheel, both would be used for acceleration and high speeds, while cruising only the electric motor (using locking clutch lever to disable the gas engine), or just the gas one and use regen to get some power back into the battery. Anyone ever thought about this? When I'm out of gas my range would be around 10 miles, yet I could ride as far as I wanted (upwards of 100 miles or more at a time occasionally during the summer) without spending hundreds of dollars on batteries. I'd be using high charge and discharge rate lithium batteries for the electric portion, and the pack would be quite small and cheap, around 5 amp hours at 74 volts. Most power would come from the engine, but I'd have a small charger, to make it basically a plug in hybrid. In the future I may consider a computer throttle management system that I'd have to design myself.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
That's unnecessary, just throw on a 66cc engine and keep that tank full, you'll be fine. Take the rest of the money you get back from insurance and throw a down payment on a car.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
There is a section on here for hybrid bikes. Depending on how fast an electric motor will push you if it gets you like 20mph then you could do a lot more extreme gearing like a 30T or 32T. A normal 66cc with just some porting can push a 36T pretty well already.

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
My insurance will only cover the damage if I rebuild the bike. They said it doesn't have to be identical, but the finished product must be a motor assisted bicycle, so a car (that I couldn't afford to make payments on or keep full of gas) is out of the question. On my budget I can barely keep the gas tank on a 66cc bike full, and the electric part can get me to the store and back easily.

The hub motor and controller I have got me to 35mph on its own (using 80v lipo pack, 3,000 watts), and I'm going for a 31 tooth sprocket because I can't find any 30 tooth sprockets shipped from the US.

I looked for a hybrid section and didn't see one, must have missed it. I'll probably start a new thread there.