Need a favor

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Hi Folks

My name is Mark and I have been a member of this forum for several years. I am a broadcast engineer at a local television station and though it is a good job and the pay is fair my hours are horrible and have been so for 20 years, I'm looking to get out of the TV business and look into corporate video production. I've a lot of experience in the field however for the past 15 years I've been working exclusively in broadcast control and news production. I don't have a recent reel of anything except some videos I have done for my kids school fundraisers. I am looking to produce something a little more interesting and something I can use to show off my skills. I would like to do a short documentary on motorized bicycles, concentrating on the 2 stroke "Happy Time" or "China Girl" engine.
Here is where you come in. I would love to feature an assortment of riders and builders but I obviously can't go to your location and record you so I had the idea that you record yourself and sending the video clip to me for editing and post production. I would like it shot "interview style" with you answering the following questions:

What made you want a Chinese bicycle engine
What challenges did you face while building the bike
what is your opinion of the culture that surrounds these kits

Also tell a few stories about your adventures on these kits.
In the beginning of the interview please say your name and where you are from.
Send the footage to me via dropbox....you can do all this on your smartphone! (turn it sideways, please)

If you are camera shy but want to contribute to this video you can shoot some footage of you riding the bike, or someone else riding it. If you already have this on youtube send me the link and I can capture that and use it.

Mind you there, won't be any compensation for this project but I will put your name in the credits under "special thanks to"

PM me if you are interested of for more information

I would really appreciate your help. Who knows, it may make our hobby a global phenomenon!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Great idea, I see no reason why several here wont get involved and send you some footage.

When I have the time I'll try to put something together for you myself, I don't use dropbox, but I'll look into it.

Where do you plan to post the finished product?

Will you make it available of Youtube or will you offer the purchase of a DVD to those of us who may enjoy having one?

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I will post it on youtube. This project is not intended for me to make a profit, just better work hours.

If it turns out better than I expect, I may submit it to a film festival.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
in my experience, when folks take notice of something the govt regulates it into extinction

note the thread from oz about having to prove at any officer's discretion that your bike is so slow that it is useless for a daily commute

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
in my experience, when folks take notice of something the govt regulates it into extinction

note the thread from oz about having to prove at any officer's discretion that your bike is so slow that it is useless for a daily commute
You make a good point, but as long as people ride responsible, I think most places it will still be per.ittex for a long time.

I do know of one place here in Texas where they have banned motorized bikes in the city from wha5 I have been told, I have family that lives in Corpus Christi and they told me they were racking down and had banned them because of all the people that were riding the motorized bikes in the bicycle lanes, I guess the pedal power or nothi g people must have made a big stink and most likely there were idiots doing 40mph in busy areas and either having some wrecks or near misses so they made themselves look like a danger to others and got the curtain pulled on everyone there.

I haven't looked to see if I could find anything listed online about the ban I was told they instated, but some of my kinfolks down there told me about it and that is what they have heard.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Who are we kidding? I'm not making Citizen Kane...I'm just making something for my production reel. The video will most likely not change the world. I'll be lucky if it changes my job situation. Never the less I think it would be a wonderful documentary to make.
While we are talking about it, does anyone know the history of these engines? how they got here? where did they originally come form?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Who are we kidding? I'm not making Citizen Kane...I'm just making something for my production reel. The video will most likely not change the world. I'll be lucky if it changes my job situation. Never the less I think it would be a wonderful documentary to make.
While we are talking about it, does anyone know the history of these engines? how they got here? where did they originally come form?
I agree, I think this is a great idea, its not like it would be the first video of these motorized bikes out there.....lol

May end up being very unique and a one of a kind though and Im all for it personally.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
one of the forums has a section dedicated to the original russian engines that seem to be the origin of these china kits

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here is an old thread from Dagger, a member from Russia. It is a comprehensive look at the early Russian engines that appear to be the forerunner of our beloved little 2 strokers.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6820

There is a lot of speculation as to the history of how the Chinese cloned the design and began marketing it into kit form and exporting them. I believe Duane, of 'Thatsdax, has some information about the earliest kits. I'll call him and have him chime in with what he knows.

Tom

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Seems I read somehwere that the Russians a tually stole their design from an Italian or French design, bu5 I cant remember where I saw that.

This may not be true, but I did read it somewhere.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I find the idea of many people answering a set of interview questions in their own environment compelling. It seems to me that you will get true candor in this fashion.
That alone will set this apart from most any other film of it's type... actually, are there any other films of this type? Assuming this to be a contemporary look at the hobby with some history included?
Wikipedia has many entries concerning bicycles with an other-than-pedal power source. I see no references to any films.
This could certainly change your job situation.
Best of luck!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Starting with the present motorbicycle boom phenomena is a great introduction. Then delving into how and why this came about, what made it possible and it's impact on our culture is a great human interest story. A lot of other countries rely on two wheel transportation, and now it's "cool" for us. All age groups are into motorizing bicycles and it's a great thing that young people are getting out of the house and picking up tools to learn basic to advanced mechanical skills. Whether we're blasting around the neighborhood, commuting, taking trips, racing, or building show bikes, people are enjoying this hobby. Just look at the categories on this forum to see the vast range of styles being created. What an excellent opportunity for us to express our artistic and mechanical abilities. The price, availability and simplicity of these kits allow us to build as many different styles as we expand our skills.
I think eventually you'll realize how it revitalized an interest in existing companies like Whizzer, Cushman, Simplex and mopeds.
As soon as there were vehicles and motors available, people starting putting them together to travel or race or just to enjoy. Most of the stories of vintage bikes are all about racing, but a lot of people made them just to make them and have fun. So I hope you touch on the home made bikes, as they've been around since the beginning.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That's a good point,as my first ride was on home made friction drive.Made with a 5/8 hp briggs kick start washing machine motor that drove a old car generator with the bottom cut out to run against the tire. That was back in about 1955 and have sense found one to restore..................Curt

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I am curious, and I promise I am asking only out of curiosity and not to stir up drama, but why do you want to concentrate solely on the HT engines? I have not built a bike yet but I have had several friends who are into mb's, mopeds, scooters, and all other kinds of contraptions so I know there are a variety of engines available from the very mild 30cc friction drives and small electric starter kits to the monster 212 racing engines and there are builders blurring (crossing) the line between bicycle and motorcycle. I'm not suggesting you try to cover the entirety of the hobby, but by focusing on just the HTengines, you're only covering one side of it. Again, I'm not trying to stir up any drama, I'm just curious.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Dtv5403
you make a good point but for simplicity sake I choose to concentrate on the HT kits. If I covered everything it would be too long And let's face it, people just don't have the attention span. That being said I would like to do something on friction kits, electric kits and maybe something on homebrew set ups too. I can do a whole series - but I think it's best if I focus on one style at a time .